PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 variant] climatic magic (a way to prevent the big guns from being used first)

purplearcanist
2009-05-10, 06:32 PM
Basically, in this variant, each spellcasting class, when in combat, gains a certain number of magic points at the beginning of each round (except for the first) in combat:

Bard: 1(?)
Cleric: 2
Druid: 2
Paladin: 1*
Ranger: 1*
Sorceror: 3
Wizard: 2
*At fourth level and above

In order to cast a spell, a certain number of spell points are required as a prerequisite. The point total is not decreased when a spell is cast:

Level 0: 0
Level 1: 1
Level 2: 2
Level 3: 3
Level 4: 5
Level 5: 7
Level 6: 9
Level 7: 12
Level 8: 15
Level 9: 18
Level 10: 22
Level 11: 26
Level 12: 30
Past level 12: +4 for each level

These points last until the end of the encounter, at which point it is set back to zero. Otherwise, spellcasting works like it normally does.

Multiclass gain points for each class that can cast spells, but they are independent of each other and can only be used to cast spells of that particular class. For example, a sorceror/wizard cannot use magic points as a result of sorceror as a prerequisite to casting wizard spells.

A caster that prepares spells can sacrifice one of their spells outside of a combat encounter in order to cast the spell with the normal duration. In order to do this, they can concentrate, increasing their magic points until it gets to the number required for the spell, then the spell can be cast. If you are interrupted during the procedure, your magic point total goes down to 0 and the spell is gone as though you have cast it. A spontaneous spellcaster instead removes the spell from their spells known.

I realize this system has some flaws as written, but I would like to know your comments and suggestions. I might have my finger on a potential fix for some of d20's problems.

Silence
2009-05-10, 07:04 PM
Wouldn't this unbalance the game, giving non-spellcasters an advantage?

purplearcanist
2009-05-10, 07:50 PM
Wouldn't this unbalance the game, giving non-spellcasters an advantage?

It buffs spellcasters at low levels, since they can cast their low-levels at will. It nerfs them at high levels, since they can't simply cast their ultima spells in the middle of combat.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-10, 07:58 PM
As written, this'll cause casters to just sit there twiddling their thumbs for the first few rounds of combat until they can cast their most powerful spell, and then going for it. Nothing is more boring than being unable to use your class ability in combat. What would be ideal is to let casters use their weaker spells early on and wait a bit for their power spells. Therefore, have it so that the spell points aren't expended when you cast a spell. You still have them, and they build up each round of combat whether you cast or not. That way casters still have to wait instead of immediately going nova, but they don't have to sit around doing nothing if they want to use powerful spells later.

thegurullamen
2009-05-11, 01:52 AM
As written, this'll cause casters to just sit there twiddling their thumbs for the first few rounds of combat until they can cast their most powerful spell, and then going for it. Nothing is more boring than being unable to use your class ability in combat. What would be ideal is to let casters use their weaker spells early on and wait a bit for their power spells. Therefore, have it so that the spell points aren't expended when you cast a spell. You still have them, and they build up each round of combat whether you cast or not. That way casters still have to wait instead of immediately going nova, but they don't have to sit around doing nothing if they want to use powerful spells later.

Yeah, I like this one. On top of that, you can have it so you could reduce your current pool to augment a spell with metamagic or wild magic or some, um, third thing. Trade off power in the later rounds to boost your current spells.

purplearcanist
2009-05-11, 08:14 AM

I really like that suggestion. Another idea I had was that spellcasters could "concentrate" to regenerate their magic power, but this looks better. I will update my original post.

Mentok
2009-05-12, 07:30 AM
What about ambushers?