PDA

View Full Version : how to make someone "helpless"

yilduz
2009-05-10, 06:36 PM
You guys seem to like lists, so I searched through the forum and also did a quick google search, but didn't find one from either source. So... maybe we can start one.

What are all the ways you can force an opponent to be "helpless?" (If it's different in 4E than 3.5, list whichever you know but specify which version it works in - I don't know a lot about 4E).

holywhippet
2009-05-10, 06:40 PM
Well, 4E has one main advantage - when you are hitting something into negative HP (for monsters this generally equals dead) you can choose to deliver a non-lethal blow instead. This renders them unconcious instead.

LOLC2k
2009-05-11, 07:18 PM
Well, 4E has one main advantage - when you are hitting something into negative HP (for monsters this generally equals dead) you can choose to deliver a non-lethal blow instead. This renders them unconcious instead.

Yup, its much easier with that rule... doesn't make any sense, but yeah, it's ridiculously easy to take things alive in 4E, or make them helpless.

Assuming you wanted to make them helpless BEFORE... talking 3.5... off top of my head... petrify, paralyze, sleep, unconscious are your major status effects, and of course, with enough grapplers or rope and restraints you can, more mundanely, make them helpless.

TheCountAlucard
2009-05-11, 07:38 PM
In 3.5, one way to do it was with ability damage/drain. Knocking any of their ability scores down to zero will make the opponent helpless (with the exception of Constitution, where bringing it to zero will kill your opponent).

LOLC2k
2009-05-11, 07:47 PM
In 3.5, one way to do it was with ability damage/drain. Knocking any of their ability scores down to zero will make the opponent helpless (with the exception of Constitution, where bringing it to zero will kill your opponent).

You'd think, with a ray of stupidity abuser player, I'd remember that one. God I hate that spell.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-11, 09:54 PM
Paralyzation:
Hold Person and Hold Monster spells.
Freezing the Lifeblood feat (CW), Unarmed Strike-based DC, requires Wis 17 and +10 BAB.

Ability score 0:
Dex: Shivering Touch (Frostburn), 3d6 Dex damage, no save, melee touch, can be maximized for 18 Dex damage, can be put into Spell Storing weapons/arrows, available at level 5.
Int: Ray of Stupidity (SC), 1d4+1 Int damage, no save, ranged touch, always disables animals in one shot, available at level 3.
Int: Mind Cripple special ability via Psychic Rogue (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 11+ or Psychic Assassin (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723d) 5+, deal 2 Int damage on every sneak attack, at four attacks/round dual wielding that's 8 Int damage/round assuming all attacks hit as early as level 10.
Cha: Ego Whip psionic power, 1d4 Cha damage Fort save for half, augmentable, available at level 3.

Other special abilities:
Wild Shape into a (Lesser) Battlebriar: Warbound Impaler (MM3), a 12 HD plant which can Impale (Ex) opponents rendering them helpless.