PDA

View Full Version : the new jetpack thread!

kemmotar
2009-05-10, 07:13 PM
Okay...I was looking at the jetpack thread from a while ago...having been inspired by a psion during an indianna jones-esque stunt I got an idea.

Having looked at the other jetpack thread, the main issues was that such a contraption would be highly unstable and 30 decanters were in fact required just to raise you off the ground...

Now just because I want to mess with my DM I think I may have an idea..boots of levitation, permanent or not...not sure how much it lasts. You use levitation for upwards downwards adjustment (effectively nullifying the effect of gravity...?) and decanters of endless water just for direction...levitation allows for lateral movement and the more decanters you use the faster you go...perhaps another two at an angle for direction adjustment?

Would it work?

Jack_Simth
2009-05-10, 07:25 PM
Exactly as written? Nope. The Decanter of Endless Water can't push you around, merely knock you down. That's silly, though. Of course, anything else requires at least a little DM fiat, which will vary by individual DM.

skywalker
2009-05-10, 07:33 PM
I think the water might need something to push against. You get some initial push from the thing coming on, but after that, I don't see why you would keep going at any speed even approaching "jetpack speed," unless your geyser had something to push against laterally.

Jack_Simth
2009-05-10, 07:40 PM
I think the water might need something to push against. You get some initial push from the thing coming on, but after that, I don't see why you would keep going at any speed even approaching "jetpack speed," unless your geyser had something to push against laterally.
Same reason a rocket works in space. The rocket pushes against the gas it's expelling. The Decanter pushes against the water it's expelling.