PDA

View Full Version : Destroy The Earth!

kpenguin
2009-05-10, 11:24 PM
So, interesting thing (http://qntm.org/?destroy)I stumbled upon while browsing the net.

It appears that destroying the Earth is quite a bit more difficult than people would have us think. It's shocking to consider that a Death Star would need to create a blast in upwards of 2.2405 × 10^32 Joules in order to do to Earth what it did to Alderaan.

Xondoure
2009-05-10, 11:31 PM
It's star wars, the jedi have reflexes faster than light.
That said, the world is only sturdy in the terms of people who live on it. Our strongest bomb barely does anything to it, and a good thing to or we would have blown it up years ago.

kpenguin
2009-05-10, 11:37 PM
Our strongest bomb barely does anything to it, and a good thing to or we would have blown it up years ago.

ALL of our bombs put together doesn't do much to it. Oh sure, it'd kill life as we know and probably screw up our atmosphere something bad and leave a huge-ass crater, but the planet is still there.

Nevitan
2009-05-10, 11:45 PM
Going by the recent threads I think this thread should be renamed

To the poor unearthling masses: Destroy the Earth! a question of morality

:tongue:

GoC
2009-05-11, 01:42 AM
Going by the recent threads I think this thread should be renamed

To the poor unearthling masses: Destroy the Earth! a question of morality

:tongue:

Yeah, the copycat threads are getting annoying.:smallwink:

Anuan
2009-05-11, 03:29 AM
My thread was original. I stand by that fact, and am proud of it.

kpenguin
2009-05-11, 03:41 AM
And thus the derailment begins.

Vizen
2009-05-11, 03:52 AM
Apparently the Earth has already been destroyed once.

Coidzor
2009-05-11, 07:52 AM
Yeah, I love that site. I was rather amused by the analysis it gives of the caloric effects of eating a such and such kg ice cube.

I ended up having a headache and having a science-buzz after reading through the earth-destroying/earth-moving techniques. I especially like the idea of world-furnaces it mentions in the context of Jupiter, I believe.

Silence
2009-05-11, 08:11 AM
I remember that site from a while ago.

Personally, I like the idea of simply creating a black hole somewhere in the vicinity.

bosssmiley
2009-05-11, 08:18 AM

It got better? :smallconfused:

8,000 mile diameter cannonball: not easily broken.

chiasaur11
2009-05-11, 12:04 PM

Look, I said it was an accident, and I'm sorry.

What more do you want from me?

Silence
2009-05-11, 12:11 PM
Look, I said it was an accident, and I'm sorry.

What more do you want from me?

Look, the insurance company needs a statement from you. They won't give us any dang money 'till they get your word that you did it :smallannoyed:

chiasaur11
2009-05-11, 12:51 PM
Look, the insurance company needs a statement from you. They won't give us any dang money 'till they get your word that you did it :smallannoyed:

Yeah, but think of my premiums for a second.

I can't afford to pay those kind of rates right now.

Recaiden
2009-05-11, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I love that site. I was rather amused by the analysis it gives of the caloric effects of eating a such and such kg ice cube.

I ended up having a headache and having a science-buzz after reading through the earth-destroying/earth-moving techniques. I especially like the idea of world-furnaces it mentions in the context of Jupiter, I believe.

I found this site a long time ago. I did like the Jupiter flying rocket method, it seems the most plausible and is very unique.

Yes. (http://qntm.org/?board)
http://qntm.org/files/board/current.png

Tingel
2009-05-11, 06:00 PM
It's star wars, the jedi have reflexes faster than light.
Why do you say that? Because they can deflect blaster fire with their fancy swords? Obviously the energy emitted by a blaster does not travel at the speed of light, despite the fact that a blaster is supposed to be more or less a laser gun. After all, we can easily follow its movement with our eyes - which means that blaster fire is not only slower than light, but also much slower than regular gunfire.

chiasaur11
2009-05-11, 09:02 PM
I found this site a long time ago. I did like the Jupiter flying rocket method, it seems the most plausible and is very unique.

Yes. (http://qntm.org/?board)
http://qntm.org/files/board/current.png

Wait.

They blamed it on the LHC?

Yes!

Berserk Monk
2009-05-11, 09:07 PM
2.2405 × 10^32 Joules! Do you know how many D batteries I'm gonna have to buy in order to power up my Death Star I'm working on (which may or may not be a large card board box with the words "DEATH STAR!!!!!" written on it)?

Stormthorn
2009-05-11, 09:16 PM
Im glad someone else has found that site. It was never something i bothered making a thread for but i have kept my eyes (partialy) open over the last few years in case someone else stumbled upon it.

reorith
2009-05-11, 11:45 PM
last night, i had a dream that i was a super villian and i demolished the world with a doomsday device fueled by a matter antimatter reaction and when i woke up, my pillow was gone

is anyone else depressed the impracticality of destroying the earth?

V'icternus
2009-05-11, 11:57 PM
Yeah, destroying the Earth would be pretty impractical. Still, nothing to get depressed over.

It's nice to know what it would take to blow it up, though. Makes us feel kind of fragile (which we are).

I mean, think about it. We can be killed by germs. We're billions of times their size.

Earth is billions of times our size, and while we're damagine the life on it, the Earth would probably see us as lice, not a threat.

So yeah, the Earth's not going anywhere. (But, to quote George Carlin, "We are!")

chiasaur11
2009-05-12, 12:04 AM
Yeah, destroying the Earth would be pretty impractical. Still, nothing to get depressed over.

It's nice to know what it would take to blow it up, though. Makes us feel kind of fragile (which we are).

I mean, think about it. We can be killed by germs. We're billions of times their size.

Earth is billions of times our size, and while we're damagine the life on it, the Earth would probably see us as lice, not a threat.

So yeah, the Earth's not going anywhere. (But, to quote George Carlin, "We are!")

Just means we need to work a little harder on Anti-matter.

Well, you do. I've been there, done that, and bought the T-shirt.

I mean I haven't done that.

That's it.

Berserk Monk
2009-05-12, 12:48 AM
last night, i had a dream that i was a super villian and i demolished the world with a doomsday device fueled by a matter antimatter reaction and when i woke up, my pillow was gone

is anyone else depressed the impracticality of destroying the earth?

One time, I woke up briefly, went back to bed, then had a dream that I some how raised my own army of doom, built my own evil base, and was, like, holding the world hostage or something. When I woke up again, I saw that only 20 minutes had passed. It took me only 20 minutes to do all that in my dream! Damn! I wished I remembered how I did it. I could have become supreme ruler of the world like a billion times by now.

Xondoure
2009-05-12, 01:00 AM
Why do you say that? Because they can deflect blaster fire with their fancy swords? Obviously the energy emitted by a blaster does not travel at the speed of light, despite the fact that a blaster is supposed to be more or less a laser gun. After all, we can easily follow its movement with our eyes - which means that blaster fire is not only slower than light, but also much slower than regular gunfire.

I always assumed you were seeing the lasers from a jedi's perspective. Also, because they said they noticed things before they happened multiple times.

V'icternus
2009-05-12, 01:12 AM
They don't notice things before they happen, the fictional power of the Force can allow them to see into the future.

It's the same thing that allows them to deflect laser blasts. They know where it's gonna be before it's there.

Vizen
2009-05-12, 04:16 AM
Wait.

They blamed it on the LHC?

Yes!

You got lucky....This time. Ill be keeping an eye on you. :smalltongue:

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-15, 09:49 PM
They don't notice things before they happen, the fictional power of the Force can allow them to see into the future.
... How are those two different things? :smallconfused:

The_JJ
2009-05-15, 09:58 PM
*sigh*

Don't you understand? The entire Earth, nay, the Universe is destroyed every moment, and then rebuilt again, slightly different. Jeez.

chiasaur11
2009-05-15, 10:06 PM
*sigh*

Don't you understand? The entire Earth, nay, the Universe is destroyed every moment, and then rebuilt again, slightly different. Jeez.

No, it's rebuilt first, then people move in, then it's eaten by weird monstery dudes.

Gotta clear up a common misconception.

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-15, 10:07 PM
So, interesting thing (http://qntm.org/?destroy)I stumbled upon while browsing the net.

It appears that destroying the Earth is quite a bit more difficult than people would have us think. It's shocking to consider that a Death Star would need to create a blast in upwards of 2.2405 × 10^32 Joules in order to do to Earth what it did to Alderaan.
Closer to 10^38, actually. (http://stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html) :smallamused:

(The figure you cite is the minimum amount needed to overcome gravitational binding energy and cause the planet to break apart; Alderaan's debris propagated at a much faster rate, requiring a higher figure.)

GoC
2009-05-15, 10:36 PM
2.2405 × 10^32 Joules! Do you know how many D batteries I'm gonna have to buy in order to power up my Death Star I'm working on (which may or may not be a large card board box with the words "DEATH STAR!!!!!" written on it)?

Fun fact: If a 10km long ship can deathstar planets then a handgun from the same civilization should have 100 times the power of the words biggest nuclear bomb.

Renegade Paladin
2009-05-15, 10:43 PM
Fun fact: If a 10km long ship can deathstar planets then a handgun from the same civilization should have 100 times the power of the words biggest nuclear bomb.
This assumes that power generation scales in a linear relationship to the size of the device carrying the power source.

hamishspence
2009-05-16, 04:45 AM
Not just that- but there is the commonsense issue of "Too much power for the job"

A handgun which leaves enormous craters in your own city is not a good idea.

GoC
2009-05-16, 09:16 AM
This assumes that power generation scales in a linear relationship to the size of the device carrying the power source.

Even scaling down as in the modern day from nukes to a handgun still gives it the power of a modern day nuclear warhead.

hamishspence
2009-05-16, 12:28 PM
thats the thing though- factors don't necessarily scale- different purpose- different amount of energy needed. Cops don't use mini-nuclear weaponry to fight criminals.

chiasaur11
2009-05-16, 03:02 PM
thats the thing though- factors don't necessarily scale- different purpose- different amount of energy needed. Cops don't use mini-nuclear weaponry to fight criminals.

Although that would be awesome.

DigoDragon
2009-05-18, 11:39 AM
It's a good thing the Earth is difficult to destroy. It's where I keep all of my stuff!

Though all good things can't last forever. I assume if anything the Sun is going to destroy Earth once it hits it's red giant phase.

chiasaur11
2009-05-18, 12:56 PM
It's a good thing the Earth is difficult to destroy. It's where I keep all of my stuff!

Diversify my man.

Trust me, a storage locker on Tau Ceti IV pays for itself.

DigoDragon
2009-05-20, 10:00 AM
Diversify my man.
Trust me, a storage locker on Tau Ceti IV pays for itself.

Really? I may have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

As far as making craters on the planet with bombs, dig a hole first to put the bomb in. Should maximise the potential crater. Especially deadly under a large city when the bomb vaporizes the foundation.

Lord Herman
2009-05-20, 10:28 AM
[...] I assume if anything the Sun is going to destroy Earth once it hits it's red giant phase.

I knew it! I always suspected that sun was up to no good! Always shining and pretending to be our friend, but meanwhile it was plotting our destruction! I bet that if the sun had a moustache, it would be twirling it right now!