PDA

View Full Version : RPG Motivational Posters - Things that annoy me.

Kekken
2009-05-11, 01:19 AM
This thread is inspired by the TV Tropes one. I love RPG motivational posters, but a couple of things always annoy me.

Most prominently, I hate those posters that say things like "X: You're doing it wrong." Or if your character/party/game isn't like X/Y/Z, you're "doing it wrong."

Usually, Chuck Norris is shown as the example of a "right" character.

My peeve with this is the same with the arrogant off hand way tropers say "that is all."

What about you, what annoys you most about RPG Motivational posters?

FatJose
2009-05-11, 01:48 AM
Motivational Posters in general annoy me now. Most of them don't even follow MP formula. They just have some picture and some (un)funny comment. They just ignore the word "motivational" completely. They're just "Black Frame" Posters.

And I can't stand tunneling, its like reading an entire forum discussion that's linked together by a hundred spoilers.

thegurullamen
2009-05-11, 01:49 AM
99.2% of them stink and since there are so many, it's not worth slogging through the crap to find the gems. Sort of like 4chan, really. Just wait for the good ones to get geek-meme'd and make their way to you.

SurlySeraph
2009-05-11, 05:30 PM
Motivational Posters in general annoy me now. Most of them don't even follow MP formula. They just have some picture and some (un)funny comment. They just ignore the word "motivational" completely. They're just "Black Frame" Posters.

And I can't stand tunneling, its like reading an entire forum discussion that's linked together by a hundred spoilers.

That's why there are so many terrible motivational posters now. The early ones were funny, because they actually resembled real motivational posters. That's how parody works; it's only funny if it actually looks like the thing it's supposed to be parodying.

wadledo
2009-05-11, 05:48 PM
That's why there are so many terrible motivational posters now. The early ones were funny, because they actually resembled real motivational posters. That's how parody works; it's only funny if it actually looks like the thing it's supposed to be parodying.

Though you could think of it as they're parodying parody motivational posters.

Cubey
2009-05-11, 05:49 PM
http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/output/motivator0eed3d5a641f3a66689cf7ae09365b5b070a54dd. jpg

No, not really.

13_CBS
2009-05-11, 09:49 PM
Are they really that bad? I would agree in that most of them aren't really "motivational", but the general format (NOUN: blah blah blah) is still amusing.

valadil
2009-05-11, 10:42 PM
Are they really that bad? I would agree in that most of them aren't really "motivational", but the general format (NOUN: blah blah blah) is still amusing.

The first hundred were funny. The next thousand were tolerable. Now I'm just sick of them and don't even enjoy the good ones anymore.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-05-12, 12:05 AM
The first hundred were funny. The next thousand were tolerable. Now I'm just sick of them and don't even enjoy the good ones anymore.

Okay... and you still look for them because... ?