PDA

View Full Version : Elves and bluebeards

Ron Miel
2009-05-11, 06:02 AM
Xykon said "The elves finally found a way to slip through my defences...help your old friends the Bluebeards" Say what? When has he ever had trouble from elves before? Apart from Lirian and V, and he probably doesn't even remember V from their first encounter.

And the Bluebeards? Presumably the Azurites, but it's a funny name for them. Only a minority have beards, and not all of them are blue.

I predict that the elves are one of the 9 sides in the battle that we readers don't know about yet. Maybe Bluebeards aren't the Azurites at all, but another side.

SPoD
2009-05-11, 06:25 AM
It's mentioned in the Travel Guide to Azure City that appears in the back of War and XPs that the elves and Azurites are longtime allies. Since this is public knowledge (it's in a travel guide!), he probably just assumed that once he conquered Azure City, the elves would be all up in his business. It may even be the primary reason he bothered with the Cloister spell.

kamikasei
2009-05-11, 06:54 AM
When you conquer a major city-state, you're playing on a larger field than just "a bunch of guys with a grudge against me". By "the elves" Xykon presumably means the entire elven people.

I got the vibe that the Bluebeards were some Azurite-affiliated dwarven clan.

Yendor
2009-05-11, 07:30 AM
And the Bluebeards? Presumably the Azurites, but it's a funny name for them. Only a minority have beards, and not all of them are blue.

Well, O-Chul has a blue beard, and so does Hinjo, so that's a good a starting point as any. At least he's got the right colour this time, not like with that Redsword guy.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-11, 08:04 AM
Xykon said "The elves finally found a way to slip through my defences...help your old friends the Bluebeards" Say what? When has he ever had trouble from elves before? Apart from Lirian and V, and he probably doesn't even remember V from their first encounter.

Well, he didn't really care. An Elf has popped into his throne room of evil (or whatever), so he asked a question to distract V based on a probability.

If he ever bothered to remember the OotS and its membership he could easily have replaced "Elves" with the Order.

Well, the only one he knows well is O'Chul (who has a blue beard) who he's been seeing on a regular basis for months. It seems the way a nickname would be born with Xykon.

I can imagine him saying "I'm bored. Grab some more acid and old Bluebeard".

I predict that the elves are one of the 9 sides in the battle that we readers don't know about yet. Maybe Bluebeards aren't the Azurites at all, but another side.

Maybe, and isn't one of the Gates not to far from the Elven lands? Still, I wouldn't read into it to much.

Savageman
2009-05-11, 11:03 PM
bluebeards = Roy and his father. Xykon has been screwing up the name since the very beginning.
"You're that guy! The one who was mad at me for... something."

Teron
2009-05-12, 02:32 AM
bluebeards = Roy and his father. Xykon has been screwing up the name since the very beginning.
"You're that guy! The one who was mad at me for... something."
The names he came up with were always sword-related, though. "Bluebeards" certainly refers to the Azurites.

Yendor
2009-05-12, 02:45 AM
The names he came up with were always sword-related, though. "Bluebeards" certainly refers to the Azurites.

And Xykon can hardly remember Roy when he's in front of him. He's not likely to come to mind six months later.

Prak
2009-05-12, 02:49 AM
or, you know, the giant is just playing with us knowing we'll be arguing about this even past the time when it's revealed.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-05-12, 03:34 AM
or, you know, the giant is just playing with us knowing we'll be arguing about this even past the time when it's revealed.

Rich probably isn't as devious or tricky as some people on the forums make him out to be. He doesn't screw with us, we screw with ourselves.

What I mean by that is whatever he meant by Bluebeards, he probably thought was straightforward enough, and could not predict people speculating about Dwarven Clans and the Tenth of the Eleven Sides and such.

TheNovak
2009-05-12, 03:41 AM
I think someone mentioned this already, but: he's just talking about the Azurites. The last couple of pages of War and XPs have a travel guide to Azure City, and it mentions that the city has a close relationship to the elves. So he thinks V's there to help liberate the city in honor of the nations' alliance.

It's pretty much straightforward :smallsmile:

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-12, 03:46 AM
The last couple of pages of War and XPs have a travel guide to Azure City, and it mentions that the city has a close relationship to the elves. So he thinks V's there to help liberate the city in honor of the nations' alliance.

Soon was also on a diplomatic mission to the elven lands when his wife was killed by the snarl, so we know the two have known each other for at least 60 years or so (flash in the pan as far as the elves go...)

The MunchKING
2009-05-12, 03:56 AM

I thought it was another refference to old Redpommel and his buddies. or whatever that guy's name was. :smallbiggrin:

Dagren
2009-05-12, 06:21 AM
I thought it was another refference to old Redpommel and his buddies. or whatever that guy's name was. :smallbiggrin:But... Roy doesn't have a beard.

Prak
2009-05-12, 10:12 PM
Rich probably isn't as devious or tricky as some people on the forums make him out to be. He doesn't screw with us, we screw with ourselves.
exactly, he knows we'll screw with ourselves, he doesn't have to try so hard.

What I mean by that is whatever he meant by Bluebeards, he probably thought was straightforward enough, and could not predict people speculating about Dwarven Clans and the Tenth of the Eleven Sides and such.
he also had to have known that we'd be debating it till the cows came home again(after they've come home and gone back out, of course)... since epleptic trees (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees) is even a trope....