PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer spell selection ideas

Talya
2009-05-11, 01:05 PM
I recently gained a 15th level of sorcerer spellcasting by unusual means (I'm still only a 14th level sorcerer when you combine my classes together, but that's not really relevant), and I need to select spells.

Some mechanical background: I have a caster level of 17, insanely high charisma (32 at level 16), and +3 to the DC of enchantment spells, and +2 to the CL of spells that have the [fire] descriptor. As a houserule,I also get +1 spell of each spell level, but the bonus spell must be from a Forgotten Realms source.

I need to choose a spell of each levels 5, 6 and 7.

Current spells for those levels:

Level 5:
Dominate Person, Telekinesis, Teleport, Improved Blink (Forgotten Realms Bonus Spell)

Level 6:
Glass Strike (Forgotten Realms Bonus Spell), Nara's Concupiscent Cloud (spell I invented, essentially a solid fog with other debilitating effects), Nara's Binding Vapors (another custom spell, Reflex Save-or-Lose.)

Level 7:
Delayed Blast Fireball (I know, blasting blah blah. I need it for the character concept), Ruby Ray of Reversal (Forgotten Realms bonus spell)

I'm considering Greater Shadow Conjuration for level 7, but am not sure, how many creation/summoning spells are there that I'd use a lot? Probe Thoughts for level 6, but I'm not sure again. This is a heavily storyline/roleplaying driven campaign, so certain spells that have primarily out-of-combat uses are very valuable, and i've already got Save-or-lose spells targeting every save.

Level 5 i have no idea on. There seems to be a dearth of good spells for that level. Force wall, maybe, but i've already got a wall spell at level 4....

Any thoughts? I'm not sold on Shadow Conjuration or Probe Thoughts, yet.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-11, 01:14 PM
Shadow Conjuration. Yeah, it's a small list, but it is still a bunch of useful spells for the cost of one. I'd snag GSE as well. They're perfect for self-buffs and such.

Talya
2009-05-11, 01:17 PM
Shadow Conjuration. Yeah, it's a small list, but it is still a bunch of useful spells for the cost of one. I'd snag GSE as well. They're perfect for self-buffs and such.

And another thing about it...the will-save-to-disbelieve is less likely when any spell i cast through GSC has a DC of 28. The high Charisma certainly helps.

Zaq
2009-05-11, 01:24 PM
While they're better suited to a wizard than a sorcerer (grumble grumble), I like some of the high-level divination spells, Probe Thoughts among them. Things like Greater Scrying can be good fun as well. If you have a familiar, Imbue Familiar With Spell Ability is extra actions per round, which is basically too good to pass up. Do you have a dispeller in your party? With that kind of caster level, Greater Dispel Magic seems like a good idea. As for Shadow Conjuration, check with your GM and see how the SLAs on shadow summoned creatures works. One of the best parts of Summon Monster is that you can use the SLAs on the creatures you summon (or rather, have them use them), basically adding huge versatility to your spells available, but it's hazy exactly how that works when they're not, you know, fully real.

TheThan
2009-05-11, 01:32 PM
Depending on what sort of sorcerer I’m going for, I’d take any one of these:
5th level spells
Prismatic ray
Fly, mass
Refusal
Feeblemind

6th level spells
analyze dweomer
geas/quest
heroism, greater
contingency
bear’s endurance, mass
cat’s grace, mass

7th level spells
Spell turning
Mage’s magnificent mansion
Plane shift
scrying, greater
Insanity
Force cage
Prismatic spray
Invisibility, mass
Reverse gravity
Limited wish
Ghost form
oriluke’s greater dispelling screen

I'm not big into forgotten realms so i haven't really taken a look at its campaign specific spells.

Keld Denar
2009-05-11, 02:41 PM
In a heavy RP intensive world, you might consider Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm). Its mass disguise with almost no limitations. Your enemies only save if they interact with you, otherwise there is nothing outside of True Seeing that will give you away. Really long duration as well, Concentration + HOURS PER LEVEL. At your level, has enough targets to get your whole party as well. Its a good thing.

Talya
2009-05-11, 03:14 PM
Prismatic ray

I considered that. It's a bit random though.

Fly, mass

Certainly has utility. I tend to extend the duration of an alter-self spell and fly for 340 minutes for a 2nd level spell, but i have nothing to help my party fly.

Refusal
This is a neat spell i've never looked at...interesting.

Feeblemind
This spell is actually not in our game. It used to be on my list, actually, but by mutual agreement between DM and player, we've removed it from the list.

analyze dweomer
This is a very neat spell, but i've always been reluctant to spend spells-known on what amounts to an identify spell.

geas/quest
This character really doesn't need this to get people to do what she wants.

heroism, greater
Through more unconventional quirks of adventuring, I actually have bardic Inspire Courage at +3, and Inspire Greatness. While Greater Heroism is certainly better than either of these, it isn't enough better that it makes me want to spend a spell slot when I've already got something similar.

contingency
You think this is as good for a sorcerer as it is for a wizard?

bear’s endurance, mass
cat’s grace, mass

I have little use for these spells. They already don't stack with equipment bonuses. When they nerfed the durations to 1 minute/level, it was the last straw.

Spell turning
Neat. Maybe...

Mage’s magnificent mansion
Meh. I've got more spells per day than I can use up...and I've always thought this was a cheesy way for a party to avoid the encounters per day mechanic anyway.

Plane shift
I've got this already, in another form.

scrying, greater
Maybe...i have an item that gives me regular scrying.

Insanity
Not her style.

Force cage
Too expensive.

Prismatic spray
Too random again.

Invisibility, mass

Ooooh. Yes. Hmm. Maybe...

Reverse gravity
I love this spell, although I'm again not sure...

Limited wish
Seriously considered this one, it's still a possibility. The xp cost is a deterrent, but the versatility is undeniable.

Ghost form
Spell Compendium has this listed as a level 8 spell.

oriluke’s greater dispelling screen
I don't know how i'd use this.

Myrmex
2009-05-11, 03:40 PM
There's a 3rd level spell in the 3.0 FR Campaign setting that blinds everyone within 120 feet that fail a will save. It's Evocation [Fire]. Called Flashburst. The cool thing is that the spell only has a radius of 20 feet, so you can still use it to blind sighted things in an AMF or that have magic immunity.

Overwhelm, from PHB2, is an enchantment (range touch) that forces a will save or be dealt non-lethal damage equal to your HP.

Talya
2009-05-11, 03:52 PM
There's a 3rd level spell in the 3.0 FR Campaign setting that blinds everyone within 120 feet that fail a will save. It's Evocation [Fire]. Called Flashburst. The cool thing is that the spell only has a radius of 20 feet, so you can still use it to blind sighted things in an AMF or that have magic immunity.

Overwhelm, from PHB2, is an enchantment (range touch) that forces a will save or be dealt non-lethal damage equal to your HP.

I have no third level spells available.

Overwhelm is underwhelming--it's actually a close touch spell, not ranged touch. It allows a saving throw and spell resistance--three points of failure-- for a level 6 spell. It certainly fits my style though.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-05-11, 05:04 PM
Do you use a lot of metamagic? If so, do you already have Rapid Metamagic or something similar? If not, Arcane Spell Surge from Dragon Magic is quite good. Accelerates your spell casting so your standard action spells cast as swift, and your full-round spells cast as standard. Also reduces multiple round spells. Basically amounts to Quickening a LOT of your spells, particularly since you can now freely MM your spells (since it accelerates the full-round casting into standard).

Also, Arcane Fusion from Complete Mage is pretty solid, at least in theory (I'm going to use it tonight and see how it goes). Lets you cast a 4th and 1st level spell at roughly the same time using only your 5th level slot. Depends on your spells and whether that's going to be useful or not, but you can always use it to True Strike an Enervation or Orb in a pinch or something (if, of course, you have those spells on your list).

-JM

Myrmex
2009-05-11, 11:29 PM
I have no third level spells available.

/shrug
You should pick it up sometime. Blind everything is a pretty cool ability.

Overwhelm is underwhelming--it's actually a close touch spell, not ranged touch. It allows a saving throw and spell resistance--three points of failure-- for a level 6 spell. It certainly fits my style though.

It's a DC 30 will save, and if you're doing it right, SR shouldn't be a problem (1d20+27). While not a totally ridiculous spell, it's pretty solid as far as high level enchantments go. For reasonable games, anyway.

FinalJustice
2009-05-12, 08:47 AM
7th- Arcane Spellsurge

6th- Coudn't think of anything

5th- Arcane Fusion

With both Spellsurge and fusion, you're looking at potentially 4 low level spells a round. Increase spell output is always a good thing.

Zergrusheddie
2009-05-12, 10:46 AM
For 6th level, Freezing Fog is very nice (Spell Compendium). It is a Solid Fog, Grease, and 1d6 cold damage a round. Cast it on someone who has an armor check penalty or a terrible dex and they are screwed. The Wizard in our last campaign managed to auto-kill a MBEG with this spell just because they had a net -11 to this balance check. They just kept falling over every round and ended up taking 1d6 every round.