PDA

View Full Version : a gem of an idea (yet another MitD theory)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-05-11, 04:40 PM
The MiTD is a young adult amethyst dragon (MM2), well maybe a slightly stronger and less wise one.

Amethyst dragons:
1) are still only large at the young adult stage
2) get stomp as an SLA as a young adult
3) have DR 5/magic as a young adult
4) have a sonic breath weapon that can be used to deal subdual damage
5) eats anything
6) neutral alignment
7) have parents
8) have blindsight which means it perfectly OK in total darkness
9) have str 27 which is maybe a little low and wis 15 which is a little high -- but these can be altered for a non-average specimen
10) could be much more easily captured at a younger age, say as a wyrmling

The only problem I see is that it is CR 11 which is a little low even adjusting for the fact that it is a dragon. I mean it still a dangerous challenge and if it had the drop on Redcloak, its full attack would make mince meat of the globlin in 2-3 rounds which is all Xykon needs.

I searched but couldn't this posted before. My apologies if someone already posted it.

Silverraptor
2009-05-11, 04:45 PM
It fits somewhat, but I would imagine that the MitD has alot more STR and DR.

rokar4life
2009-05-11, 11:37 PM
regardless of what the base monsters base stats are, we have been told that it is abnormal, and that could amp up the CR, also dragons can usually talk, right?

Nimrod's Son
2009-05-11, 11:47 PM
In SoD, the monster was displayed in a circus freakshow under the moniker of "It" because the owners (and presumably almost all the customers) didn't know what it was. If it was any type of dragon, I think a few people would have been demanding their money back.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-05-12, 11:22 AM
Well no idea is perfect and certainly this one isn't. Thanks for the reponses above. Since everyone has dropped the spoiler tags, so will I.

It fits somewhat, but I would imagine that the MitD has alot more STR and DR.
The base stats of strength are for an average creature. You could add strength (and subtract) Wisdom to get a better match. You can add Improved DR from Savage Species which adds 2 points of DR. You could add a template...but no published template really matches.

regardless of what the base monsters base stats are, we have been told that it is abnormal, and that could amp up the CR, also dragons can usually talk, right?
Absolutely. Normally gem dragons speak draconic but given his history it's not surprising he speaks common.

In SoD, the monster was displayed in a circus freakshow under the moniker of "It" because the owners (and presumably almost all the customers) didn't know what it was. If it was any type of dragon, I think a few people would have been demanding their money back.
Would any creature in a splat book would be then out of the question because they would be known? We don't know how rare amethyst dragons are in OotS. We do know common "player" knowledge, eg liches have phylacteries and are immune to lightning, is not common "character" knowledge. And conversely, we have examples of "character" knowledge, eg knowledge of soul splices by Redcloak and Xykon, that no "player" would know. Sure a purple dragon with crystalline edges might be recognized as dragon-like in a world full of dragon-like things. But a purple dragon with crystalline edges might still be strange enough to be called "It".

Logalmier
2009-05-12, 11:50 AM
Would any creature in a splat book would be then out of the question because they would be known? We don't know how rare amethyst dragons are in OotS. We do know common "player" knowledge, eg liches have phylacteries and are immune to lightning, is not common "character" knowledge. And conversely, we have examples of "character" knowledge, eg knowledge of soul splices by Redcloak and Xykon, that no "player" would know. Sure a purple dragon with crystalline edges might be recognized as dragon-like in a world full of dragon-like things. But a purple dragon with crystalline edges might still be strange enough to be called "It".

Well, there was a wizard in the crowd that said he had never seen anything like "It". Aside from the fact that he could have been an adventurer, If it was some sort of dragon subspecies he probably wouldn't have said, "I've never seen anything like it." That implies a completely different look than your average dragon.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-05-12, 02:05 PM
Well, there was a wizard in the crowd that said he had never seen anything like "It". Aside from the fact that he could have been an adventurer, If it was some sort of dragon subspecies he probably wouldn't have said, "I've never seen anything like it." That implies a completely different look than your average dragon.

I haven't read SoD but from what I have read about it in the forums in MitD is not that strange looking.

Sod spoiler Whatever MitD is, he's something shocking and unheard of
I disagree on the unheard of.
The guys on safari clearly recognize it, despite the fact that it is out of it's usual habitat. Redcloak recognizes it as well, and Xykon may have as well (though Redcloak may have just told him).

Apologies to rickvoid if I am taking his comment out of context.

JJ48
2009-05-12, 07:40 PM
I think the main thing that jumps out at me in this theory is the fact that the people who found it were surprised that it can speak. If I were to ever meet a dragon, I may be surprised at seeing it at all, but the fact that it could speak to me would not surprise me.

jogiff
2009-05-12, 10:39 PM
From what I've read, the monster is going to be something that we'll all recognize (probably including non-gamers), but it also has to be rare/obscure enough for only a few characters to recognize it. So it can't be a dragon or some bizarre type of dragon.

I think it'll be something completely out of the game. Like a pikachu or something completely non-threatening. There's no way the monster can live up to the hype, so the Giant is going to have to do something ironic.

Hello Kitty is my guess because we can all recognize it, it is a freaky little thing, and the umbrella.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-05-12, 10:56 PM
I think the main thing that jumps out at me in this theory is the fact that the people who found it were surprised that it can speak. If I were to ever meet a dragon, I may be surprised at seeing it at all, but the fact that it could speak to me would not surprise me.

Well like I said, no MitD theory is perfect to date. The amethyst dragon theory is admitedly not a perfect fit.

But here's a strange thing I just noticed. In 651, from panel 2 to panel 3, we see the MitD speak inside the box but make a move on the go board outside the box. But we don't see how he made the move. Now he could have reached underneath the box to make the move or...

The demon roach might be helping the MitD make the moves or...

If he was a young adult amethyst dragon then he's also a 3rd level kineticist and he could have used a first level power like Far Hand or Control Object to make the move without any part of him leaving the box. Granted, this is an expensive way to play go, at least from a the point of view of power point expenditure.

Or for ex, if the MitD had augmented his stomp power in 477 (or widened it), the loss of power points (and psionic focus) might also explain his sudden "tiredness".

There's no way the monster can live up to the hype, so the Giant is going to have to do something ironic.

As a side note, I have yet to see Rich not live up to the "hype". Every time we're promised something awesome, we get awesome...4th wall jokes notwithstanding.

warrl
2009-05-12, 11:39 PM
But here's a strange thing I just noticed. In 651, from panel 2 to panel 3, we see the MitD speak inside the box but make a move on the go board outside the box. But we don't see how he made the move. Now he could have reached underneath the box to make the move or...

Mage Hand is a level-0 spell for bards, sorcerers, and wizards.

(MitD being a bard just somehow doesn't seem to fit, though.)

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-05-12, 11:44 PM
Mage Hand is a level-0 spell for bards, sorcerers, and wizards.

(MitD being a bard just somehow doesn't seem to fit, though.)

I agree, sorcerer would be a much better class choice for a talking baby tarrasque.