PDA

View Full Version : ToB version of Arcane Disciple

playswithfire
2009-05-11, 04:53 PM
Been kicking this around in my head; what if there were a feat that was like Arcane Disciple, but for Martial Adepts?

Short version:
Adept Disciple
Prereqs: Knowledge(religion) 4 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, able to initiate maneuvers, alignment matches that of your chosen diety
Benefit: Choose a domain (and one initiator class that you have);Any time you would learn a new maneuver from that initiator class, you may learn the domain spell of that domain of the same level instead. You prepare, expend and refresh the spell as you would a maneuver, paying all costs of the spell. The DC, if any, is Wisdom based, you need to have wisdom of at least 10 + spell level to learn it and use your initiator level for all effects related to caster level.

Two questions:
1. Is this broken beyond belief?

2. If it were allowed, what adept class would you give which domain?

My answers to the these questions:
1. Maybe; I'm sure there's something ludicrous out there
2. Swordsage of Kord with Competition Domain, Crusader of Pelor with Healing Domain, Warblade of ... Olidamarra with Celerity Domain?

Curious to see what the playground thinks

Eldariel
2009-05-11, 05:07 PM
Well, just make sure nobody ever gets Time Stop. Infinitely looping it and spells is ridiculously easy. In general, infinite uses of arcane spells (which many domains offer) are a Bad Thing. That said, if you limited the uses somehow (they're casting spells, after all), such as by placing a daily limit (3/day sounds good) on the ability (after which he'd have to swap it out for a maneuver proper to get some use out of the slot), it could work out.

Also, I suggest making it depend on the main stat of the adept; make this Int-based for Warblades, Wis for Swordsages and Cha for Crusaders. Otherwise it heavily favours Swordsages almost making this feat solely useful for them.

Also, shouldn't this be in the homebrew forum?

playswithfire
2009-05-11, 07:00 PM
It probably should be in homebrew, but I was mainly interested in the second question and it's less creative than I feel like things in homebrew should be.

Chronos
2009-05-12, 07:01 PM
So, basically, you'd be able to cast Miracle every other round, once you got high enough level.

Salt_Crow
2009-05-12, 11:20 PM
Make them usable once per day as many other domain granting abilities. Otherwise, Time Stop and Polymorph Clan (Transformation domain) can break the game very very quickly

sonofzeal
2009-05-12, 11:23 PM
1/day may be excessive. Once per five minutes (a la ToM) might work, as might the simpler 1/hour. Beyond that, most of the problem is in the spells themselves, not in the mechanic. Any broken uses can be handled on a per-spell basis.

tyckspoon
2009-05-13, 12:58 AM
1/day may be excessive. Once per five minutes (a la ToM) might work, as might the simpler 1/hour. Beyond that, most of the problem is in the spells themselves, not in the mechanic. Any broken uses can be handled on a per-spell basis.

Actually, any unlimited use mechanic that lets you choose spells to use with it is a problem with the mechanic. That's because those spells were written assuming they would have limited uses or that, at the least, some sacrifice would have to be made to make them last longer/use them more. A short recharge mechanic completely wrecks that and effectively creates the DMM: Persist scenario (or, alternately, the unlimited command-word activated item of some spell that really shouldn't be so.) Consider it with the Healing domain- 1 feat for unlimited healing (I don't consider that a real problem, but some people react very, very negatively to the idea) or Luck: with a recharge mechanic, that one feat lets you always be protected from all five standard energy types, have Freedom of Movement, Spell Turning, a Moment of Prescience, and cast Miracle.. admittedly, Luck has a very nice spell list, but the point is good for almost any domain. There are a vast number of spells that you really don't want somebody to have at-will.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-05-14, 12:45 PM
Heal, mass heal, wail of the banshee, genesis, dominate monster, gate, foresight, miracle, or Mordenkainen's disjunction once every five minutes...

Who wouldn't take this feat? And that's just core spells. Plus you'd get multiple spells with one feat? Holy heck!

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-14, 12:55 PM
Maybe if you picked (or custom made) a domain for each of the 9 disciplines. For example, if you want to take the Fire domain, you need to have a manuever from the Dessert Wind school. Then just pick domains without problematic spells such as the ones mentioned above.