PDA

View Full Version : Which kind of humor?

RationalGoblin
2009-05-11, 11:02 PM
So, throughout my (real) life, I've been a generally cynical person. However, my sense of humor has been bizzare and weird, with non seiquitors abounding.

But recently, I've become more hopeful (through a viewpoint change), while my jokes have become bleaker, darker, and more of gallows humor.

Why is this a problem? Because, in my life, I have been known as a jokester, having a joke for nearly every occasion. I'd assume I'm expected to have one style of joke; plus, if I focus on one, it'll be easier to make jokes.

So which kind of humor? Cynical or odd?

reorith
2009-05-11, 11:07 PM
So, throughout my (real) life, I've been a generally cynical person. However, my sense of humor has been bizzare and weird, with non seiquitors abounding.

But recently, I've become more hopeful (through a viewpoint change), while my jokes have become bleaker, darker, and more of gallows humor.

Why is this a problem? Because, in my life, I have been known as a jokester, having a joke for nearly every occasion. I'd assume I'm expected to have one style of joke; plus, if I focus on one, it'll be easier to make jokes.

cynical jokes are played out. "z0mg the world is a sick dark place teehee." and odd jokes can leave some people confused making you look like a nutjob. the solution is stop joking around and get back to the work.

edit: tpbm, and tpbh. you've both been reported for lack of productivity. your merriment and glee will be docked from this days wages.

V'icternus
2009-05-11, 11:12 PM
Stop joking!? Back to work!?! Blasphemy!!! Jokes are a key part of life! Without humour, life's soooooo boring...

Alteran
2009-05-11, 11:23 PM
cynical jokes are played out. "z0mg the world is a sick dark place teehee." and odd jokes can leave some people confused making you look like a nutjob. the solution is stop joking around and get back to the work.

Sounds like fun!

Waaaait a minute...

RS14
2009-05-11, 11:42 PM
I'm mostly fond of esoteric humor. Lots of mathematical stuff, and lots of stuff with a long setup. In fact, almost all of the jokes I like are long. I don't like gags.

I enjoy some cynical humor, but only when it's real. Only when the world is so stupid that the only thing to do is to laugh at it. If it's made up, it's mostly just cynicism for the sake of cynicism.
Example:

In 1995, a SWAT team in Albuquerque responded to a call about a suicidal man. He was armed with the pistol with which he had threatened to kill himself, but he did not threaten them, and he fled to a park. To resolve this, they shot and killed him.
Awful? Yes. Unforgivable and awful. But there's humor in it nevertheless.

V'icternus
2009-05-11, 11:46 PM
I'm mostly fond of esoteric humor. Lots of mathematical stuff, and lots of stuff with a long setup. In fact, almost all of the jokes I like are long. I don't like gags.

I enjoy some cynical humor, but only when it's real. Only when the world is so stupid that the only thing to do is to laugh at it. If it's made up, it's mostly just cynicism for the sake of cynicism.
Example:

In 1995, a SWAT team in Albuquerque responded to a call about a suicidal man. He was armed with the pistol with which he had threatened to kill himself, but he did not threaten them, and he fled to a park. To resolve this, they shot and killed him.
Awful? Yes. Unforgivable and awful. But there's humor in it nevertheless.

Is it wrong that I laughed at that? A lot? I mean, real cynicism is better, but I still found that funny.

Haruki-kun
2009-05-12, 12:45 AM
I am a firm supporter of surreal humor. Maybe give that a try?

Tamburlaine
2009-05-12, 06:24 AM
There's no reason you can't combine the two into some kind of super-humour, which I will call odnical. I can't really think of any odnical jokes off the top of my head... typical, isn't it?

I am a firm supporter of surreal humor. Maybe give that a try?
Only if you're going to clear up all the mess afterwards. I still haven't got the stains out of the carpet from a joke I once told about lobsters.

Vizen
2009-05-12, 06:30 AM
...I want to hear that joke now (Or, should I say, read). Anyone else want to hear/read that joke? I bet it was a good joke.

Or so horrible that they thought it was a good idea after hearing it to damage your carpet. Either way. On with the joke!

Llama231
2009-05-12, 08:38 AM
I like "witty" or British humor, which basically translates into both of these...

Tamburlaine
2009-05-12, 10:57 AM
...I want to hear that joke now (Or, should I say, read). Anyone else want to hear/read that joke? I bet it was a good joke.

Or so horrible that they thought it was a good idea after hearing it to damage your carpet. Either way. On with the joke!

So a clawed lobster, a reef lobster, and a freshwater crayfish walk into a bar...
[Middle bit removed for reasons of decency, taste, and it not existing]
... Arthropoda? I hardly knew 'er!
<Ba-dum tish>

Tengu_temp
2009-05-12, 11:05 AM
I mean, real cynicism is better, but I still found that funny.

It's much better to have a cynical sense of humour than a cynical outlook on life.

RationalGoblin, instead of focusing on telling jokes that fit into one style, focus on telling jokes you think are funny. A large variety is more fun anyway.

Silence
2009-05-12, 11:42 AM
I actually don't really make that many "joke" jokes, ones that are told as stories and such, but I do use wit to make small situational observations, and make small british humor type jokes in my writing, like so.

For instance, a certain political figure said something that went a bit like this

"We may have made poor decisions at times, but at least we were decisive enough to make them."

My response:

"So.... You admit you made mistakes, but you say that at least you made them? Riiiiiiight....."

Just try to be witty, and examine the situation from every possible angle.

Also, a very well placed TWSS is an excellent tool.

Canadian
2009-05-12, 11:54 AM
Either one is fine. Just make sure you tell the jokes while polishing your gun or cleaning the blade of your knife. They're much funnier the closer you are standing to the victim... I mean audience.

I like to stand half an inch away and whisper the joke in their ear why polishing my blade.

So funny! Comedy gold guaranteed!

Berserk Monk
2009-05-13, 12:51 AM
Wow, Rational Goblin, that's pretty rational. Focusing on one branch of comedy. Specialization is truly the most efficient thing to do in any field. Hard to say which style you should try to master. We're all funny in our own ways. See what works for you. Me? Well, I do over the top reactions and make bizarre comments. Stuff that's not so clever you'd expect to be on shows like the Simpsons or something on adult swim.

Best luck finding your style. Worst come to worst, you become a jokester like the Comedian: rape people, use flame throwers, make jokes about nuclear holocaust. Not sure you'd get many laughs, but your death would be the start to one of the greatest graphic novels of all time.