PDA

View Full Version : Serriously

rokar4life
2009-05-11, 11:41 PM
how had nobody thought of it like Zy had, it's so obvious now that i think about it, the souls DID cash out early.

Daefos
2009-05-12, 01:16 AM
You may have to expand on that a little.

Kaytara
2009-05-12, 06:23 AM
If you're saying that it should have been obvious that the Splice would have to go (or at least be reduced dramatically in significance), then I agree. Whether V wins or loses this in the end, an effortless victory is boring. There has to be a struggle, which is less exciting if V is obviously at an advantage in terms of raw power.

tKircher
2009-05-12, 06:59 AM
I'm sort of surprised that V didn't protect herself before going in. I mean, an ABD is one thing (and V even mind blanked for that), but going into a fight with the most powerful character in the story, who happens to be a lich with hundreds of years of experience, and is also the BBEG? It seems strange.

Not to mention that Redcloak is there to assist. Even if V had all three spliced souls, full spell slots, and the element of surprise, i think it's unlikely she'd win, even with her superior raw power, going into a wizard fight without any abjuration, and flinging insults before fireballs, is suicide.

I know V tried, with the Time Stop, but not even a spell mantle? Really?

NerfTW
2009-05-12, 08:00 AM
V is arrogant and believes she is unstoppable. Therefore, mistakes are made. Notice how he didn't know how long Raise Dead takes to cast?

I'd love to know where this "V is a super tactician that never ever makes mistakes" idea came from. We've seen plenty of instances where V has ignored the obvious solution in favor of throwing arcane power at it. Mistakes will be made.

Ron Miel
2009-05-12, 08:28 AM
You may have to expand on that a little.

I think he means that the spliced souls allowed themselves to die and go to eternal damnation, rather than become undead and prolong their existence.

BRC
2009-05-12, 08:36 AM
You know, Xykon would kill you for spelling his name with a "Z"

SPoD
2009-05-12, 10:58 AM
I'm sort of surprised that V didn't protect herself before going in. I mean, an ABD is one thing (and V even mind blanked for that), but going into a fight with the most powerful character in the story, who happens to be a lich with hundreds of years of experience, and is also the BBEG? It seems strange.

Not to mention that Redcloak is there to assist. Even if V had all three spliced souls, full spell slots, and the element of surprise, i think it's unlikely she'd win, even with her superior raw power, going into a wizard fight without any abjuration, and flinging insults before fireballs, is suicide.

I know V tried, with the Time Stop, but not even a spell mantle? Really?

All of the defensive spells V cast in the dragon fight are still active, because it's been less than 20 minutes and they all have a duration of 1/minute per level or higher. Hell, mind blank has a duration of 24 hours! So, it's not as reckless as it appears, since I can't think of any arcane protection spell that he is lacking that would specifically help him here. Maybe fire immunity, since he knows Xykon casts meteor swarm.

Death ward would obviously be the ideal thing, but that's cleric-only.

NerfTW
2009-05-12, 12:25 PM
Except that V has no idea that level drain is Xykon's favorite tactic against wizards. And it would go against the whole "arrogant and doesn't consider cleric magic to be real magic" position.

That, and V was correct in believing that it wouldn't affect him. She just failed to realize (as we've been seeing him do for this entire arc) that it can have other effects, such as draining the soul splice levels.

Silverraptor
2009-05-12, 12:51 PM
Remember, a drop a wisdom is more powerful then a sea of force V. (Just popped in my mind and it fit the discussion at hand)

You know, Xykon would kill you for spelling his name with a "Z"

I try to warn them, but they never listen.