Lord Iames Osari
2009-05-12, 02:20 AM
We had such potential...

Such promise...

But we squandered our gifts.

And so, 9, I am creating you.

Our world is ending.

Life must go on.

Cue awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIpZxBczWUg)

Lex-Kat
2009-05-12, 02:39 AM
I haven't seen a single Tim Burton movie I haven't liked. And this one looks to be a very interesting movie.

But best of all, the thing that makes it even more appealling... Crispin Glover.

:biggrin:

averagejoe
2009-05-12, 02:50 AM
Hmmm... that might be good.

I can't believe I can't remember what song that is that they are playing. Because I like it. What song is that?

Icewalker
2009-05-12, 03:06 AM
YES!

This movie looks SO GOOD. I'm really looking forward to it. Really epic. The song is Coheed and Cambria doing Welcome Home, the only thing is, in the preview, it doesn't have the rather screechy and, in my opinion, quite awful, vocals.

The instrumental part of the song is awesome.

averagejoe
2009-05-12, 03:12 AM
YES!

This movie looks SO GOOD. I'm really looking forward to it. Really epic. The song is Coheed and Cambria doing Welcome Home, the only thing is, in the preview, it doesn't have the rather screechy and, in my opinion, quite awful, vocals.

The instrumental part of the song is awesome.

*Facepalm* Ach, yes of course it is. I knew that.

Yes, it is mostly the instrumentals that make it work.

Nevrmore
2009-05-12, 03:30 AM
Hm.

I really like Tim Burton's stuff, his visual style is very appealing to the eye. But this preview took my expectations of what the movie was going to be and turned it upside down, and not in a good way. The idea of some autonomous creation working on after the destruction of mankind is a good one, I think (See: There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury), and I had thought from the beginning of the trailer that the movie was going to be about this "9" having to live in a destroyed world and trying to figure out what happened and what its purpose was. It set it up as a slow, deliberate commentary piece, and I liked that.

Then suddenly the guitars blazed in and there was what I can only describe as a half-robotic rat attacking a group of Sackboys and I found myself saying out loud, "What the sh*t?" The movie now seems to be a generic "SAVE THE WORLD! (or what's left of it)" plot that happens to have a very interesting setting that I think deserves more than such a standard fare.

But this is all judgment from the trailer, so I could be dead wrong. I'll probably see it either way as I am a fan of Burton, so the complaining is rather moot.

EDIT: I just watched the short film this movie is expanding upon (You can watch it here (http://www.movieweb.com/video/VIC7UEFHbP8HGF)) and it is in the vein that I felt the movie should be in. A little sackboy who is just trying to survive in post-apocalyptia. I realize that the unexplained nature of both his and the robotic rat that was stalking him's existence lends itself to be expanded upon, but the movie seems to want to make this into an all-out-war between the Tweedskins and the Roborodents, which I think is a weird direction to go in.

Silence
2009-05-12, 07:50 AM
This. Looks. Excellent.

Oh, I must see this. I must.

Tim Burton is a beast.

Fri
2009-05-12, 09:33 AM
looks really awesome. Definitely going to watch this. I agree with nevermore, something like... dunno, a more melancholic Boy and His Dog (forgot its title, the post apocalyptic story about a bastard boy and his dog surviving in post apocalyptic wasteland) or Yokohama Shopping Blog, where earth/mankind was in its twilight, but mankind faced it with smile rather than chaos and got some android as their legacy, or the Manga, HOTEL, where a sentient tower was mankind's last legacy on earth after earth turned into a literal enviromental hell without any living creature would be great. But an epic, awesome story like this would be amazing too.

endoperez
2009-05-12, 10:03 AM
EDIT: I just watched the short film this movie is expanding upon (You can watch it here (http://www.movieweb.com/video/VIC7UEFHbP8HGF)) and it is in the vein that I felt the movie should be in. A little sackboy who is just trying to survive in post-apocalyptia. I realize that the unexplained nature of both his and the robotic rat that was stalking him's existence lends itself to be expanded upon, but the movie seems to want to make this into an all-out-war between the Tweedskins and the Roborodents, which I think is a weird direction to go in.

Thanks for posting a link to the original short.

The film seems to add some action, but then, they shouldn't be showing anything but the action in the trailer. No sense giving the surprises away. It might be more than just action ragdolls.

I'd also like to add that Tim Burton will NOT direct this. He's just a producer and a marketing trick. The film will be directed by Shane Acker, the same guy who did the original short.

Icewalker
2009-05-12, 10:06 AM
I dunno. It looks to me like it is less of a war and more of a full running fight for survival. They're constantly on the run from these things, moving towards some goal.

I dunno. If worst comes to worst in that vein, it'll still be an epic animated action movie, which we do need more of, if only to show people that 'animated film' is not a subset of 'comedy'.

Revlid
2009-05-12, 03:49 PM
Oh, for f***'s sake.

TIME BURTON IS NOT DIRECTING THIS.
NOR WAS HE PARTICULARLY INVOLVED IN DESIGN.

He is a producer who is currently working on Alice in Wonderland and a couple of other films right now, and so probably isn't involved at all.
I love Burton too, guys, but give credit where credit is due, okay?

That said, I really like the look of this. I was asked to describe it in an "X meets Y" sort of way by a friend, and came up with "Toy Story meets Fallout". I don't know if that'll be an accurate description come release, but if they can pull off in the film the awesome present throughout the trailer, I'll be thrilled.

Although it doesn't look it, I SINCERELY hope that whatever catastrophe took place isn't related to climate change.

Nevrmore
2009-05-12, 04:11 PM
Oh, for f***'s sake.

TIME BURTON IS NOT DIRECTING THIS.
NOR WAS HE PARTICULARLY INVOLVED IN DESIGN.

He is a producer who is currently working on Alice in Wonderland and a couple of other films right now, and so probably isn't involved at all.
I love Burton too, guys, but give credit where credit is due, okay?
I've been having to say this a lot lately:

Shut up. Seriously, shut up.

Tim Burton is known equally as a producer as he is a director. He doesn't have to actually be molding the story, putting his name on it is a sign of his approval and that the style is going to be an appealing one just like any Burton film. Stop losing your sh*t at the slightest provocation, it doesn't become you.

strawberryman
2009-05-12, 04:16 PM
That does look sufficiently awesome enough that I may actually look forward to it enough to actually go and see it.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-05-12, 04:25 PM
I applied for a menial job on the production of this film.

Needless to say, I didn't get it.

Stop losing your sh*t at the slightest provocation, it doesn't become you.

Shut up. Seriously, shut up.

:smallannoyed:

Nevrmore
2009-05-12, 05:47 PM
If you think that being irritated but calmly telling someone to shut up is the same thing as screaming at people for an imagined slight (he screams at us for thinking Burton is the director of the film, even though it's been stated that he's the producer and the name of the real director was posted a few posts above his), then you must make debates very entertaining.

Verruckt
2009-05-12, 06:11 PM
Meanwhile, in the land of I-don't-give-a-toss-who-directs-it-I-just-like-the-apocalypse...

This looks to be a lot of fun, post apocalyptic fiction is my favorite kind, it tends to bring everything into perspective. The trailer looks like there will be plenty of action and the music choice is to my liking, I'll probably be seeing this.

Nameless
2009-05-12, 06:14 PM
Awesommeee... :smallbiggrin:

Rutskarn
2009-05-12, 06:21 PM
This could be pretty good, if handled well.

Still, I'm-a gonna take the "wait and see" approach.

Hm.
There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury)

Yeah, I liked that story.

averagejoe
2009-05-12, 08:21 PM

Wow, that makes me much more interested in this film than I originally was. That was seriously cool. I would rather not see it become some sort of war between the sack things and robots, or whatever. The strength of the short was in the quiet excitement rather than the mayhem that the trailer seems to advertise. Then again, people who make previews are filthy liars, so I tend not to trust them anyways.

One thing, with the shape of the skull and it's movements, I think the robot is more closely supposed to resemble a cat than a rat.

Icewalker
2009-05-12, 09:15 PM
Yeah, just watched the short film, very awesome. Only difference between the two that we know for sure is that they talk in the movie :smalltongue:

I'm guessing the trailer is a little actioned up, and that it contains almost all the big flashy action scenes, as trailers tend to do. However, the rest of the movie will be more appropriately epic in the form of subtle excitement. That's my guess, at least. I'm really looking forwards to this movie.

Yulian
2009-05-13, 12:30 AM
So...I'm guessing no one here's seen the original, dialogue-less short film that inspired this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(film)

It was on Youtube, but it seems the impending feature means it's been yanked.

- Yulian

Icewalker
2009-05-13, 12:33 AM
No, we're discussing it right now, actually...Nevrmore linked to it a bit up.

Gorgondantess
2009-05-13, 12:57 AM
Wow. This is cool. Can't wait for its release; looks very innovative, very creative.

averagejoe
2009-05-13, 02:22 AM
So...I'm guessing no one here's seen the original, dialogue-less short film that inspired this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(film)

It was on Youtube, but it seems the impending feature means it's been yanked.

- Yulian

Nope. No (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6092948&postcount=6) one's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6093581&postcount=9) seen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6095457&postcount=19) it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6095714&postcount=20)

Nevrmore
2009-05-13, 02:41 AM
Yeah...What's a "short film?"

Silence
2009-05-13, 08:11 AM
Yeah...What's a "short film?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_film

Thar ye go.

Nevrmore
2009-05-14, 03:31 PM
Oh GOD, thank you Silence! Without your kind intervention I would have never figured out how to put the words "short" and "film" together. My, my post must have been so silly, it looked like a joke!

Jibar
2009-05-14, 03:55 PM
I have no idea which parts of this thread are jokes and which aren't now.

H. Zee
2009-05-14, 03:57 PM
Oh GOD, thank you Silence! Without your kind intervention I would have never figured out how to put the words "short" and "film" together. My, my post must have been so silly, it looked like a joke!

I'm sure Silence will appreciate your gratitude. And yes, it was a fairly silly post, but I'm sure you're pleased to have learnt something.

I think Silence had the right tactic. The best way to deal with sarcasm is to pretend it's genuine. Tends to infuriate people XD

thubby
2009-05-14, 06:51 PM
looks interesting.

Collin152
2009-05-14, 07:04 PM

I personally feel it needs more cowbell.

chiasaur11
2009-05-14, 07:19 PM
I personally feel it needs more cowbell.

Well, yeah.

The only thing that doesn't need more cowbell is cowbell.

Nevrmore
2009-05-15, 04:06 AM
Joke? You think this a joke?? You think I'm funny? Funny like a clown?? Funny enough to reference Goodfellas?! Well F*CK YOU, PAL!

Graymayre
2009-05-15, 09:45 AM
A Tim Burton film that finally rips itself away from gothic fantasy and into the arms of all knowing science?

*single tear of joy*

KnightDisciple
2009-05-15, 09:51 AM
Well, yeah.

The only thing that doesn't need more cowbell is cowbell.

Well, cowbell, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs).

SurlySeraph
2009-05-15, 02:13 PM
I dunno. The trailer looked like it could have been for a video game just as easily as for a film. And, while I certainly like my explosions and chases and random fighting, that's not really what I'd want from a concept like this. I hope there are more parts like the beginning of the trailer, with the Vaguely Epic Mission and beautiful post-apoc scenery, than parts like the middle with the angry robot-fighting.

averagejoe
2009-05-15, 02:36 PM
A Tim Burton film that finally rips itself away from gothic fantasy and into the arms of all knowing science?

*single tear of joy*

Eh? I just saw a bunch of magic.

Dr. Bath
2009-05-15, 02:44 PM
Eh? I just saw a bunch of magic.

It's not gothic though. A significant departure.

It certainly looks pretty, so I can forgive fairly flimsy plots. Although it would be nice if it shied a little away from junk-robots fighting whilst trying to get a doodad from A to B. I for one shall probably see it at some point.

KnightDisciple
2009-05-15, 04:09 PM

It certainly looks pretty, so I can forgive fairly flimsy plots. Although it would be nice if it shied a little away from junk-robots fighting whilst trying to get a doodad from A to B. I for one shall probably see it at some point.

...How is this not gothic?

Dr. Bath
2009-05-15, 04:56 PM
...How is this not gothic?

There's no corsets. Or black lace or white face powder. That's how you know.

H. Zee
2009-05-15, 06:16 PM

Looks like a sort of post-apocalyptic gothic steampunk to me. And those four words together can also be condensed down to one: "Awesome."

Icewalker
2009-05-15, 07:18 PM

I'd say we shouldn't assume it'll be too fighting-y. The trailers are always designed to be the most extreme moments of the film. I'm guessing there'll be a very solid amount of general apocalyptic interest.

averagejoe
2009-05-15, 07:21 PM
Plus, being a kids movie, I'd be surprised if there weren't exciting bits to break up the talking bits.

That said, I tend to be very pessimistic about films. We shall see.

Icewalker
2009-05-15, 07:37 PM
I'm not too sure just how kids movie it'll be. I mean, it'll be appropriate, but I think it's likely to be very intense and frightening for a small child.

Basically, the movie all the parents will take their kids to because it's animated, only to either rush out, or worse, not rush out, when their kid starts panicking. Coraline was similar, although I think this'll be a lot more intense.

Revlid
2009-05-16, 05:25 PM

Precisely. Had Burton been involved at any level beyond "rubber stamping" the film, you can be sure that the titual 9 would have been made from black lace rather than sacking. With ruffles.

FoE
2009-05-16, 06:06 PM
Well, cowbell, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs).

Everything could use more Christopher Walken.

strawberryman
2009-05-16, 08:57 PM
Plus, being a kids movie, I'd be surprised if there weren't exciting bits to break up the talking bits.

That said, I tend to be very pessimistic about films. We shall see.

According to the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(2009_film)):

The film has been rated PG-13 by the MPAA for violence, and scary images.

So, not exclusively a "kids movie", if you ask me.

Mirrinus
2009-05-16, 10:43 PM
Wait...so this movie isn't about a ditzy ice fairy who aims to be the strongest?

Eh, I've never been a fan of these kind of animated movies, but the rating does make me question my initial presuppositions.

averagejoe
2009-05-16, 11:11 PM
According to the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(2009_film)):

So, not exclusively a "kids movie", if you ask me.

Wow. I just assumed, cartoon you know. I am somewhat intrigued.

strawberryman
2009-05-16, 11:28 PM
Wow. I just assumed, cartoon you know. I am somewhat intrigued.

Cartoons != always for kids. :P

Icewalker
2009-05-17, 01:24 PM
Yeah, cartoons have too long been nothing but comedy kids movies, despite being merely a film style completely separate from genre. We need more movies like this, an animated action/suspense/scary movie, to help get rid of that assumption.

Rutskarn
2009-05-17, 01:37 PM
Yeah, cartoons have too long been nothing but comedy kids movies, despite being merely a film style completely separate from genre. We need more movies like this, an animated action/suspense/scary movie, to cause a major backlash from parents whose offspring are terrified by the content that they were subjected to, because the parents saw "CGI movie" and thought "You know,for kids!"--a backlash that makes other studios hesitant to follow 9's example.

I don't know if I just fixed your post. I really hope I didn't.

kpenguin
2009-05-17, 01:41 PM

So, what, we leave the animation age ghetto as is, Rutskarn?

strawberryman
2009-05-17, 01:43 PM
That's why smart parents that also give a crap what their kids see pay attention to the ratings. If they don't, it's their own fault and they don't really have any legal recourse. Or, they shouldn't have any.

Icewalker
2009-05-17, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, they'll complain all over the place. Coraline was a good example of this too.

It's good for kids to see something other than 'shiny happy funny land' in the media all the time...

I think the movie will be successful enough that those parents to not make too much of a dent.

averagejoe
2009-05-17, 03:18 PM
Cartoons != always for kids. :P

This statement confuses me. I never suggested that they were.

strawberryman
2009-05-17, 03:37 PM
Cartoons != always for kids. :PThis statement confuses me. I never suggested that they were.

Well, you assumed it was for kids, because it's an animated film. No offense meant, a lot of people have that impression from what I've seen. I tried to get my grandma into Death Note because she likes suspense/investigative shows, and she just kind of blew it off because it's anime. A lot of adults think just because it uses animation/cartoons as a medium, that it's for "kids".

My point being, anyway, you didn't specifically say as much, but assuming can imply as such.

averagejoe
2009-05-17, 05:14 PM
Well, you assumed it was for kids, because it's an animated film. No offense meant, a lot of people have that impression from what I've seen. I tried to get my grandma into Death Note because she likes suspense/investigative shows, and she just kind of blew it off because it's anime. A lot of adults think just because it uses animation/cartoons as a medium, that it's for "kids".

My point being, anyway, you didn't specifically say as much, but assuming can imply as such.

I assumed it was for kids because it's a Hollywood cartoon. Given most of the cartoons that have come out of Hollywood ever, and the prevalent idea in our society that cartoons are a medium for kids, this isn't an unreasonable assumption.

strawberryman
2009-05-17, 05:15 PM
I assumed it was for kids because it's a Hollywood cartoon. Given most of the cartoons that have come out of Hollywood ever, and the prevalent idea in our society that cartoons are a medium for kids, this isn't an unreasonable assumption.

Fair enough.

Yulian
2009-05-17, 08:07 PM
I tried to get my grandma into Death Note because she likes suspense/investigative shows, and she just kind of blew it off because it's anime. A lot of adults think just because it uses animation/cartoons as a medium, that it's for "kids".

Hmm...I think subjecting her to one viewing of "Legend of the Overfiend" or "Genocyber" would cure that. Forever.

I sort of wish the upcoming film didn't have so much dialogue. I think "Wall-E" was quite good with very minimal dialogue. Especially in animated films, body movement and facial expression can carry a great deal of meaning.

It's like people have forgotten all films were silent, once. It's still a viable way to go.

- Yulian

chiasaur11
2009-05-17, 08:18 PM
Hmm...I think subjecting her to one viewing of "Legend of the Overfiend" or "Genocyber" would cure that. Forever.

I sort of wish the upcoming film didn't have so much dialogue. I think "Wall-E" was quite good with very minimal dialogue. Especially in animated films, body movement and facial expression can carry a great deal of meaning.

It's like people have forgotten all films were silent, once. It's still a viable way to go.

- Yulian

Wall-E was excellent.

My favorite movie of all time. Films being more like it?

Always a good thing.

Gorgondantess
2009-05-17, 08:26 PM

- Yulian

Well, silent films actually still had plenty of dialogue, just in written form... not as much as modern films simply because of the fact that the original silent films were present during the great depression, so people went to see shallow, not very wordy films, but nevertheless.

Mewtarthio
2009-05-17, 08:30 PM

Hollywood doesn't really care about backlash. They care about money. They only worry about backlash insofar as it makes them lose money. If 9 makes a lot of money despite backlash, Hollywood will make more 9-esque films.

Besides, it's rated PG-13. A parent who's surprised that a PG-13 film is unsuitable for eight-year-olds won't have his or her protests taken very seriously.

----

On an unrelated note, there's apparently a movie called Nine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0875034/) scheduled to be released this year. Yeah, that won't be confusing at all. :smallannoyed:

small pumpkin m
2009-05-22, 12:18 AM
*Sigh* at animation age ghetto. Although Dark Knight had similar problems, because the Rating was essentially just wrong.

In actual news, there's a new trailer (http://www.filminfocus.com/video/official_9_final_trailer).

Lord Iames Osari
2009-05-22, 12:33 PM
Hmmm. I'm not sure which one I like better.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-22, 01:33 PM
First thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title : 7 of 9.

Recaiden
2009-05-24, 05:19 PM
This looks like it will be good. I'm not too worried about any backlash over the animation. Leaving it as it is can't help.

Innis Cabal
2009-05-24, 05:36 PM
This looks like it will be good. I'm not too worried about any backlash over the animation. Leaving it as it is can't help.

Not sure I follow honestly. Why can't it help? It looks wonderful