2006-08-06, 05:01 PM
True King
Size/Type: Medium Deathless
Hit Dice: 30d12+30 (216 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (+4 Dex, +8 natural, +8 full plate), touch 14, flatfooted 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+25
Attack: +4 Holy Greatsword +30 melee (2d6+14) or +1 Longbow +20 melee (1d8+1)
Full Attack: +4 Holy Greatsword +30/+25/+20 melee (2d6+14) or +1 Longbow +20 melee (1d8+1) or 2 Slams + 25 melee (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Wrath of the king, cleanse the kingdom, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Deathless traits, darkvision 60 ft., DR 20/evil, immunity to cold and electricity, resistance to acid 20 and fire 20, SR 30, for king and country, lay on hands, rebirth
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +15, Will +24
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 18, Con –, Int 18, Wis 24, Cha 24
Skills: Climb +35, Diplomacy +35, Gather Information +24, Intimidate +35, Jump +35, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +20, Listen +40, Ride +35, Sense Motive +35, Spot +40
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Cleanse the Kingdom), Lightning Reflexes, Improved ToughnessCW, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or entourage (1 True King plus 1-2 clerics of 12th-18th level plus 2-8 paladins of 10th-15th level plus 20-50 fighters of 4th-12th level)
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: Triple Standard
Alignment: Always Any Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: –

A True King is a monarch reborn as a deathless creature. When a nation comes into great danger, its greatest, noblest ruler may return as a True King to guide it back to righteousness. Though most true kings were kings in life, anyone who ruled their kingdom, country, or nation nobly and selflessly can return as one. True Kings look much as they did in life, and retain their memories and personality, but the similarities stop their. True Kings channel the very power of life itself through their undying flesh–power drawn from all those who live in their kingdom, which could be anything from a small colony to a plane-spanning empire. True Kings seek to restore their kingdom to greatness. Once this has been done, they disappear, until there is once again need for them.

Wrath of the King (Su)
A True King gets a +5 sacred bonus on attack or damage rolls against evil creatures he knows to have harmed his kingdom or one of its citizens.

Cleanse the Kingdom (Su)
Once per day, a True King may unleash a nova of holy energy. All evil creatures within 30 ft. of the king that have harmed his kingdom or its citizens must make a DC 34 Fortitude save or die. This is a death effect. The DC is Charisma based.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–aid, consecrate, detect evil, detect magic, dimension door, discern lies (DC 21), dispel magic, divine favor, enthrall (DC 19), prayer, remove fear, sanctuary, shield other; 3/day–blade barrier, create deathless*, dispel evil (DC 22), divine power, freedom of movement, greater command (DC 22), greater dispel magic, greater magic weapon, hallow, holy aura, magic circle against evil, righteous might, spirit steed*, true seeing, undeath to death (DC 23); 1/day–astral projection, control deathless (DC 24), ethereal jaunt, greater create deathless*, heroes’ feast, hero’s blade, holy sword, holy word, mass heal. Caster level 15th. Saves are Charisma based.
*From Eberron Campaign Setting

For King and Country (Su)
While in his kingdom, a True King and any good citizens of his kingdom within 30 ft. of him gain a +5 deflection bonus to AC and a +5 resistance bonus on all saves. These bonuses are not included in the True King’s stat block above.

Lay on Hands (Su)
A True King may lay on hands as a 30th level paladin. He may heal 210 hp each day.

Rebirith (Su)
Whenever a True King is destroyed, its spiritual essence is transferred to the heart of its kingdom. Within 1d10 days, its body reforms somewhere within the capital of his kingdom. The only way to permanently destroy a True King is to destroy his kingdom.

Wizzardman
2006-08-06, 06:06 PM
...All creatures who've harmed the kingdom or its people? All creatures?

You sure this thing isn't epic?

The Demented One
2006-08-06, 06:08 PM
...All creatures who've harmed the kingdom or its people? All creatures?

You sure this thing isn't epic?
I seriously had meant to put a range thing in there. Thanks for pointing that out.

4Dsheep
2006-08-06, 06:30 PM
Cleanse the Kingdom (Su)
Once per day, a True King may unleash a nova of holy energy. All creatures within 30 ft. of the king that have harmed his kingdom or its citizens must make a DC 34 Fortitude save. This is a death effect. The DC is Charisma based.What if a member of his kingdom harmed another member of his kingdom? What would happen if, say, a guard was forced to harm a citizen that was attacking another citizen? I mean, if the kingdom is in disarray, these things are bound to happen. And what about accidents? I'm pretty sure that if the barbarian's weren't at the gates the people would be very much in a hurry to leave before they accidently stepped on someone's toes! With friends like these...

The Glyphstone
2006-08-06, 07:37 PM
And...I think you forgot to list exactly what happens if they fail their save against "Cleanse the Kingdom". :D I'm guessing death, but...

What qualifies as destroying his kingdom?

The Demented One
2006-08-06, 08:12 PM
What if a member of his kingdom harmed another member of his kingdom? What would happen if, say, a guard was forced to harm a citizen that was attacking another citizen? I mean, if the kingdom is in disarray, these things are bound to happen. And what about accidents? I'm pretty sure that if the barbarian's weren't at the gates the people would be very much in a hurry to leave before they accidently stepped on someone's toes! With friends like these...
Clarified it by making it only evil creatures that get whapped.

What qualifies as destroying his kingdom?
Making it not exist anymore. Razing it to the ground and killing everyone in it. Causing it to fragment into several smaller, separate nations. Stuff like that.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-06, 08:17 PM
I'd put it as more Always any Lawful for alignment, rather than Good. Fighting to maintain an abstract thing is Lawful, not necessarily Good.

Defining harm to the kingdom or its citizens might be better than making it only kill evil creatures; an LN spy working for another kingdom to sabotage the King's should get blown up, and LE corrupt nobles less so (unless they did significant harm).

The Demented One
2006-08-06, 08:52 PM
I'd put it as more Always any Lawful for alignment, rather than Good. Fighting to maintain an abstract thing is Lawful, not necessarily Good.
It's not just trying to maintain the kingdom, it trys to steer the kingdom towards good.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-08-06, 09:36 PM
Well, what if Neutral creatures invade it? Or the King has a few loyal Evil subjects? (It happens.) I'd suggest that in border cases, the king can choose who gets whopped and who doesn't.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-07, 05:32 AM
A nice expression of the Once and Future King Concept that has been applied to King Arthur, Charlamagne and possibly even Vlad the Impaler amongst others.

I would probably have made this a template but then the King might have only been a fith level aristrocrat so he wouldn't match up to a 30 HD creature.

Maybe give him the ability to enmasse summon the re-animated bodies or ghosts of all who have given their lives in the name of the country. He can already case create deathless but I assume that spell is similar to create undead so he'll take some time to get an army together to rescue the decendants of his former subjects in their time of need.

Telonius
2006-08-07, 10:36 AM
I'd suggest that the True King can only manifest itself within the borders of the kingdom. If it leaves the border, something like a geas has to happen - it has to be on its way to meet the invading army, or it dies.

PMDM
2006-08-07, 11:01 AM
I think this thing is at least a CR of 22. If he can heal as a level 30 character, why isn't he at least epic?

endoperez
2006-08-08, 03:20 AM
I suggest you to add the ability to cure sicknesses as well. It could be modeled after Lay on Hands, or you could just give them the ability to cast Remove Disease, but it would fit. (*cough* Return of the King *cough*)