PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a Shadow Sun ninja

PrGo
2009-05-12, 10:27 AM
Hey again!

This time I'm planning to make a Shadow Sun ninja that will eventually become a vampire that's immune to sunlight via the Balance of light and dark ability. I'm aware that the ability says that the character becomes a NPC if he becomes a vampire this way, to avoid abusing the sunlight immunity, but the DM agreed to let me play him since our true necromancer could kill me and make an even stronger vampire thanks to his combination of feats and class features.

That being said, I need your advice, fellow playgrounders. I'll probably go with monk 4/ swordsage 1 levels before entering the class, but I need help with feat selection and advice on what to level after.

Thank you in advance :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, if there is some specifically good race for this, please point it out.

quick_comment
2009-05-12, 10:37 AM
Hey again!

This time I'm planning to make a Shadow Sun ninja that will eventually become a vampire that's immune to sunlight via the Balance of light and dark ability. I'm aware that the ability says that the character becomes a NPC if he becomes a vampire this way, to avoid abusing the sunlight immunity, but the DM agreed to let me play him since our true necromancer could kill me and make an even stronger vampire thanks to his combination of feats and class features.

That being said, I need your advice, fellow playgrounders. I'll probably go with monk 4/ swordsage 1 levels before entering the class, but I need help with feat selection and advice on what to level after.

Dont take the monk levels. Either go swordsage 5 and just take IUS as a feat, or so swordsage 4/Fighter 1 and take the feat.

I would go Swordsage 4/Fighter 1/SSN10/Vampire LA 8. You need at least 3 levels of LA buyoff (and a vampire savage progression class) to do this in nonepic.

Goatman_Ted
2009-05-12, 10:51 AM
2 levels of Monk is a good investment (3 bonus feats and flurry is a pretty good deal). Past that, I'd agree with QC.
I'd probably mix that with 2 levels Feat Rogue, Psychic Warrior or Fighter: Fluff stays the same, but you get 2 extra feats to play with at low cost.

Depending on your charisma, maybe 1 level of one of those classes and one level Cleric.
Domain feats and Powers make everything better.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-12, 11:43 AM
Look at the adaptaion section for the SS. The Unarmed version should give you everything you need without needing to waste levels on Monk. Flurry doesn't help you(most strikes are Standard actions) and the Monk bonus feats are less than useful. Not saying Swordsage 1/Monk 2/Swordsage 2 is bad, just that Swordsage 5 is better.

Goatman_Ted
2009-05-12, 12:30 PM
...Monk bonus feats are less than useful.

With the high ability requirements of a SS Ninja, the feat-starvation I feel with every Swordsage and the frequency of Trip checks with a Setting Sun-user, I would use UA's Passive Way feats every time.

(Stunning Fist/Combat Reflexes aren't bad either if you're expected to do any sort of BC.)

Meat Shield
2009-05-12, 12:31 PM
Ditto on the unarmed swordsage - its what the monk should have been

Darrin
2009-05-12, 01:19 PM
Hey again!

EDIT: Also, if there is some specifically good race for this, please point it out.

Person_Man has some interesting ideas for Shadow Sun Ninja that you might want to look at:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68540

If you want to do the Adept of Darkness thing, then Swordsage 4/Warlock 1/SSN 10 should work fine.

For race, I'd say absolutely positively must be a Whisper Gnome.

For feats, I'd suggest:

1) Blend Into Shadows
3) Blindfight
6) Mage Slayer
9) Pierce Magical Concealment
12) Adaptive Style
15) Superior Unarmed Strike
18) Impenetrable Aura of Eurotrash/Emo Smugness

PrGo
2009-05-12, 11:35 PM
1) Blend Into Shadows
3) Blindfight