PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] Making some new familiars.

Townopolis
2009-05-12, 06:49 PM
While the current list of familiars is nice, I've had some ideas for familiars that I would like to see and aren't covered. Simply changing the fluff on other familiars hasn't worked too well, so I came up with these additional familiars. PEACH and feel free to present your own familiar-related homebrew.

Dog Familiar
Small dogs, such as terriers, are tenacious and loyal watchdogs and trackers.
Speed 6
Constant Benefits
--You gain a +2 bonus to perception checks and insight checks.
Active Benefits
--Tracker: A dog familiar gets a +5 bonus to perception checks made to find and follow tracks.

Rabbit Familiar
Some cultures consider rabbits lucky, others consider them tricky. Most animals consider them food.
Speed 7
Constant Benefits
--You gain a +4 bonus to perception checks to detect stealthed creatures.
Active Benefits
--Trickster's Gambit: Once per encounter, as a move action, you can either make all enemies adjacent to your familiar suffer -1 to all defenses, attack rolls, and saves, or grant all allies adjacent to your familiar +1 to all defenses, attack rolls, and saves. This benefit lasts until the end of your next turn and only affects targets while they remain adjacent to your familiar.

Toad Familiar
Toads aren't much to look at, which is why they often go overlooked.
Speed 4
Constant Benefits
--You gain a +2 bonus to athletics checks made to jump or swim.
--You gain a +4 bonus to stealth checks while not moving.
Active Benefits
--Toad's Tongue: As a move action, a toad can pull an object within 3 squares of it 3 squares and pick it up. A toad can carry a maximum of 2 such items at a time. If the toad is destroyed while carrying any items, the items are dropped in its square.

chronoplasm
2009-05-14, 12:34 PM
I think the rabbit may be a bit over-powered.
A penalty or bonus to defenses is one thing. A penalty or bonus to attacks is another. A penalty or bonus to both attack and defense? You might just want to pick one or the other.