PDA

View Full Version : Immortality? [3.5]

Rhiannon87
2009-05-12, 10:02 PM
So a friend of mine is looking at building a super-high level NPC to put into a campaign setting. This NPC is based on a PC in another game. The PC wants to be immortal.

She's currently a Wiz5/Alienist6, and plans on going into Loremaster next level. Optimization is irrelevant. Sensibility is irrelevant. Give me any and all methods of immortality you can think of, no matter how silly or weird. (Except undead, those are already on the list of options. Oh, and attaining godhood. Also an option.) She put together a build that was ECL 30, so level is also irrelevant.

What other paths to immortality are out there?

Nohwl
2009-05-12, 10:04 PM
wish to become an elan or warforged.

polymorph any object should work too.

or go to a plane where you don't age.

Flickerdart
2009-05-12, 10:07 PM
Pretty much Wish, Miracle, Reality Revision, POA, etc, yourself into a creature that does not die from age, that being Dragons, Elan (All Aberrations perhaps? Aboleths are immortal, far as I can recall) or Constructs (Living or otherwise).

tyckspoon
2009-05-12, 10:10 PM
^what he said. The quickest way is to get her race changed; both elans and warforged have no maximum age. That can either be done with a Wish (I think it was Savage Species that suggests actual rules for that) or with an Epic Spell using the Transform seed. Alternately, just be an Elan to start.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-12, 10:14 PM
Take levels in green star adept?

Fishy
2009-05-12, 10:24 PM
Renegade Mastermaker from Magic of Eberron is another way of getting warforge-ized.

RS14
2009-05-12, 10:30 PM
Pretty much Wish, Miracle, Reality Revision, POA, etc, yourself into a creature that does not die from age, that being Dragons, Elan (All Aberrations perhaps? Aboleths are immortal, far as I can recall) or Constructs (Living or otherwise).

Dragons do indeed die from old age. The Draconomicon is clear about this. I can't comment on the others.

Zeful
2009-05-12, 10:34 PM
Reincarnate-Wish Loop.
1: Romance a Druid (or a Wish capable caster if you are a druid).
2: Forge two Major spell storing rings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#spellStoringMajor) as wedding rings ('cause I'm a romantic)
3: Cast Wish into the Druid's ring and Reincarnate into the Wizard's ring.
4: Live together until venerable.
5: Kill your spouse
6: Reincarnate your spouse.
7: Have your spouse wish themselves back into their previous body (note: that nowhere in the reincarnate spell does it state that it must be the body at the age you died at, nor does wishing yourself back into your previous body render any part of the spell void).
8: Have your spouse kill you.
9: Have your spouse reincarnate you.
10: Wish yourself back to you previous body.
11: Return to step 3.
12: Watch out for Inevitables.

Virgo
2009-05-12, 10:43 PM
I think Outsiders are immortal; have her throw her lot in with a planar faction in exchange for becoming one of them.

Flickerdart
2009-05-12, 10:44 PM
Dragons do indeed die from old age. The Draconomicon is clear about this. I can't comment on the others.
The SRD does not indicate a maximum age for Dragons despite having the age brackets for all the categories. What age does the Draconomicon say?

Innis Cabal
2009-05-12, 10:46 PM
12: Watch out for Inevitables.

By this point, if you don't have a contingancy for them comming at you, then you deserve death.

Zeful
2009-05-12, 10:48 PM
By this point, if you don't have a contingancy for them comming at you, then you deserve death.

Actually you kind of need them to keep your experience roughly the same level, as reincarnate makes you lose your last level and wish costs experience.

RS14
2009-05-12, 10:53 PM
The SRD does not indicate a maximum age for Dragons despite having the age brackets for all the categories. What age does the Draconomicon say?

"Guillaume and Cirjon established that the shorted-lived true dragon, the white, can live as long as 2,100 years. The true dragon species that lives the longest is the gold; Guillaume and Cirjon put the gold's maximum age at 4,400 years."

(100*Charisma+1,200 years, for each metallic species and 50*Charisma+1,200 for each chromatic species.)

They can live a bit longer, with constitution checks, but it slowly loses constitution each year.

Lamech
2009-05-12, 10:53 PM
Take levels in green star adept?
I think you'd die before reaching lv 10.:smallamused:

Get a piece of your flesh when your in your youth. (Or recently reincarnated.) Get a system set up so when you die you get cloned. Make sure not to die of old age.

You can also use that mind switch power to change places with a ageless creature. Would it work with an itellegent item?

I would like to point out limited wish can copy reincarnate, a druid isn't actually nessacary. In fact miricale can copy reincarnate.

Glimbur
2009-05-12, 10:58 PM
There's a PrC in Frostburn that makes you immortal at level 10. Cloud Anchorite. It seems intended more for monks, though.

rokar4life
2009-05-12, 11:04 PM
get people to worship you, and ascend to dietyhood.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-13, 12:06 AM
It's not *exactly* immortality, but...

Take polymorph as a spell known, and the Otherworldly and Assume Supernatural Ability feats (or be planetouched, or some other outsider - such as a neraph). Polymorph into a nightmare, and Assume astral projection.

Since your body is 'inert flesh' while you are astrally projecting, use unguent of timelessness on your body, and bamf; you just extended your lifespan by a factor of 350 or so (however long 'a year' is in your world).

Of course, you could always send it to a timeless plane while you're out adventuring.

Doresain
2009-05-13, 01:46 AM
true mind switch someone else when you're about to die...preferably a small child, so you can start fresh...then kill your old body

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-13, 01:54 AM
If your friend didn't mind her character being a green Half Elf, Killorens, which are statted on http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf , don't die from old age. (They reach Old at 100 years and stay that age forever).

Waspinator
2009-05-13, 02:30 AM
Dragon 354, I believe. A spell called "Kissed by the Ages". 9th level spell, burn some gold and XP (I don't think its too much of either) and you have a magic item that, as long as you wear the item, stops your aging process entirely.

Alleine
2009-05-13, 02:48 AM
There's a spell in the BoVD that drains ability scores from people in exchange for more lifetime for you. Its like a week per point or something, with something special happening during the full moon? I don't recall exactly. You just knock someone unconscious, get a rod of bodily restoration from the MiC and go to town. Drain, restore, drain, restore, ad infinium.

Its very evil and is capable of keeping you alive indefinitely, so inevitables to watch out for there too. Cheating death and all that jazz.

PrGo
2009-05-13, 05:36 AM
There's a spell in the BoVD that drains ability scores from people in exchange for more lifetime for you. Its like a week per point or something, with something special happening during the full moon? I don't recall exactly. You just knock someone unconscious, get a rod of bodily restoration from the MiC and go to town. Drain, restore, drain, restore, ad infinium.

Its very evil and is capable of keeping you alive indefinitely, so inevitables to watch out for there too. Cheating death and all that jazz.

It only makes you younger if cast during the full moon. Otherwise it does nothing but drain points from the victim.

hewhosaysfish
2009-05-13, 06:08 AM
true mind switch someone else when you're about to die...preferably a small child, so you can start fresh...then kill your old body

In Frank Trollman and K's Tome of Necromancy there's a PrC which is all about using a hopping from body to body using a variation of Magic Jar. The level 10 capstone is, essentially, "you cannot be permanently killed".

Kobold-Bard
2009-05-15, 12:08 AM
Homebrew spell, either 9th level with loads of material costs, or an Epic Spell, using chaingating for the Spellcraft DC if needs be.

Stormthorn
2009-05-15, 11:22 AM

But the d20srd.org has rules for epic age dragons so you could have a dragon live to Elder Wyrm + 30 or 40 more age catagories. Thats old enough to be functionaly immortal.

Silence
2009-05-15, 11:34 AM
I'm sure this has already been said, but I'd go for litch if I were you.

kentma57
2009-05-15, 11:39 AM
The clone spell and a thought jar. hide it all under ground and all you have to do is burn 500xp or so everytime you update the thought jar. Clear easy and less level loss if I remember correctly.
(I have actualy run this before, playing a 4000 year of sword fighter who looks 18 is alot of fun :smallbiggrin:)

Zeful
2009-05-15, 11:49 AM
Homebrew spell, either 9th level with loads of material costs, or an Epic Spell, using chaingating for the Spellcraft DC if needs be.

You can only Chaingate Titans (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm) which don't have any spell slots, making them pretty useless for lowering Spellcraft DCs.

Lycanthromancer
2009-05-15, 12:00 PM
Be incorporeal. Incorporeality = no body = nothing to wear out = no aging.

Double pao into an incorporeal undead. Or unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm). Or take the uncarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm) PrC.