PDA

View Full Version : [Race] The Laughing People

Myiven
2006-08-04, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone. It's my first post on the board, and normally when joining a new community I'd take some time to introduce myself (being the arrogant blowhard that I am, haha). Rather than bore everyone, I thought I'd submit my homebrew PC race for critique.

This race is copyrighted by me and is not OGL. It is free for use in games, but please do not alter or distribute without asking. If you ask, I'll probably say yes, but please be courteous.

Without further ado, the Myiven (which I've adopted as my D&D nickname since creating), known in human lands as "The Laughing People."

The Myiven, or "Laughing People" are a strange forest folk, similar in appearance to humans but distinctly different in many ways.

Personality
Myiven are not known for their great physical strength, but are uncannily fast and supple, able to swing from branch to branch and scale a tree from root to top in the blink of an eye. Unless dealing with a particularly nasty customer, their charisma wins through. They are called the "laughing people" by humans for good reason: they love jokes and tall tales, and find humor in nearly anything. Myiven laughter is usually infectious, and a party hosted by the Myiven is not something to miss. Myiven are curious, friendly, adventurous, capricious and often completely unpredictable.
While not given to violence, if pressed to defend themselves, Myiven usually scramble up the nearest tree and sling down rocks from above. If cornered and forced to fight up close, they are very capable at hand to hand combat, pummeling their foes and biting with their sharp canine teeth.

Physical Description
Myiven are four to five feet tall, and tend to be slender and wiry rather than muscular. Myiven skin tones range from pinkish-white to a ruddy light brown. Their hair tends to be reddish brown or black. They have very long, thin pointed ears averaging between three and four inches long. Myiven have prehensile tails slightly longer than their legs, and opposable
toes, which they can use with equal dexterity as their arms to branchiate or manipulate objects. Their forearms, calves, hands and feet are all covered in soft fur, which tends to be the same color as the hair on their heads.
While they are sensible enough to wear muted greens, browns and grays while hunting, Myiven prefer garishly bright colors and shiny jewelry. They live long lives upwards of 150 years, but 80 to 90 is more common for the more adventurous Myiven.

Relations
Myiven get along very well with all races, if given the chance. They welcome travelers into their homes and communities, and always enjoy hearing of outside lands. A Myiven who travels is more likely to be wary of new people, but among most races a Myiven is equally welcome for their outlandish stories and exotic goods.

Alignment
Myiven are almost entirely given to the Good alignment, though they shy away from Lawful and tend slightly towards Chaos. Evil Myiven are not unheard of, but are rare.

Myiven Lands
The most common Myiven community is in a deep forest, with small huts built in treetops along a river. They live a simple life of hunting and fishing, but are famous for their strange methods of growing crops in running water gardens. Myiven greens are widely sought around the world as a delicacy, which they gladly trade for metal goods and dyed clothing, which they have no skill in making themselves.
Myiven prefer to settle near clay pits, as clay pottery is the best material available to them for container making, and is an excellent building material for the few structures they keep on the ground.
Myiven typically consist on fish, berries, roots, and green vegetables. They grind several roots in their habitat to make flour for bread, which they bake in clay ovens. Wild game is prized, but most river communities tend to spend more time on other pursuits instead of tracking game through the forest. When dining, Myiven eat with carved wooden spoons, and "Rekka"--a pair of sticks held in the hand to lift food.

Religion
(Note: this is stylized for a monotheistic setting I'm working on. Religion would need to be altered to fit the Myiven into other campaigns) The patron angel of the Myiven is Nelchael, who favors passion and curiosity and blesses Clerics with foresight. The Myiven name for God is Kai. Myiven do not build churches or temples, as Nelchael is not known to stay in one place for long, preferring to wander.

Language
Myiven speak Common, but also speak their own language, which is carved instead of written in a runic script on wood or clay. Myiven writings tend to be poetic in nature, or for decoration or information. They have no books of learning, and Myiven scholars with access to paper and ink write in Common instead.

Names
A Myiven has a given name, and occasionally a title or family name. Titles are passed on from family to family. Myiven without family titles are referred to as tul- and twa-, "son of" or "daughter of" with their father or mother's name attached.
Male names: Joffa, Ason, Welvor, Harda
Female names: Yolei, Rem, Teilia, Riis
Titles: Kaider (God-touched, typical of priests), Shermyi (River-person, a swimmer or boater)
Sample: Joffa tul-Rem is a commoner Myiven who's mother's name was Rem. Riis Kaider is a priestess, possibly from a long line of priestesses.
(Note: Etymology of the Myiven has barely begun, and this section will be redone once it is more complete)

Adventurers
Setting out on their own or in small groups is very common for young Myiven when they come of age at around 20 or so. They enjoy long treks through forests and plains, and especially enjoy visits to human cities. Myiven are not particularly given to martial pursuits, and instead prefer more subtle approaches to their problems.

Myiven Racial Traits
-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma. Myiven are graceful, but not powerful or hearty. They are also extremely charismatic and friendly.
Medium size. As Medium-size creatures, Myiven have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Myiven base speed is 30 feet
Brachiate: Myiven can swing from branch to branch of trees (or across similar surfaces) without penalty.
Prehensile Tail: Myiven can pick up and manipulate objects with their tails, though they cannot attack with them.
Opposable Toe: Myiven can pick up and manipulate objects with their feet, though they cannot attack with them.
Forest Affinity: In a forest, jungle, or similar area with high amounts of tree canopy, Myiven are right at home and suffer no movement penalty for underbrush or other obstacles.
Uncanny Climber: Myiven can climb at twice the speed of a human.
Proficient with the sling: All Myiven learn to use a sling. Leather is simple enough to make, and the rivers by their homes offer plenty of ammunition. The sling also makes an ideal hunting tool.
Favored Class: Ranger. All Myiven are forest dwellers, and know how to live off the land as it is part of their daily lives.
Level Adjustment: +1. Most Myiven do not venture out of their homelands until they are fully grown and active members of their society. As such they have a +1 level adjustment.

Other notes: the Myiven were created to replace Elves and Halflings, though I decided to break several traditions. I didn't want your typical stealthy bow-masters as the forest dwelling race, and instead decided on a rather flamboyant forest race with extremely low technology. You could say they're barely above the Stone Age, since they forge no metal at all and have to trade for it. Some technology, such as their hydroponics, is a little more advanced than you would normally see. I'm not entirely sure that Ranger should be their favored class, because with their attitude Bard makes more sense. However, with no higher learning in their culture, a Bard would never be anything other than a very subpar rogue (no spells).

Comments please?

RoboticSheeple
2006-08-05, 02:16 AM
unbalanced stat mods in their favor and a high base speed says LA

Myiven
2006-08-05, 02:29 AM
I'm not familiar with the term LA, but I'll try balancing the +2 CHA with -2 CON, and reducing their speed to normal. They are meant to be fast, but I suppose balance is more important.

Elrosth
2006-08-05, 02:43 AM
They live long lives upwards of 150 years, but 80 to 90 is more common for the more adventurous Myiven.

Actually, I think "less than a year after the start of their adventuring career" is more appropriate for most of the more adventurous of any race. ;)

I like it, this race looks really cool. I would be quite likely to play it myself.

40 ft land speed is kind of big. Is there any reason they're faster than normal? I mean, I know they're quick little woodland things, but that is part of their dexterity bonus. From what it sounds like, you might be better off giving them a climb speed instead. Of course, this would be powerful too, but if it's a LA +1, then it's a LA +1, right?

But yeah, I do think it should be LA +1, and not just for the ability boosts and the land speed. The tail and the brachiation are quite powerful. Appropriate, yes, but powerful. A LA 0 bonus might be a boost to the climb, balance and jump skill. But that wouldn't really fit. Frankly, I don't see how you could make this race really hold true to it's intention while keeping it at LA 0.

But what is wrong with LA +1? I could see a lot of this race never getting PC class levels, and the ones that do go adventuring start out in their naturally learned niche of curiosity and exploration, and not "hack-and-slack w/ my new shiny level of fighter" style.

Another option might be to change their movement rate in more specific circumstances, perhaps reducing movement hindrances through thick forest terrain? This is much more balanced than a straight 40-foot land speed.

Overall though, I like it. Good stuff.

Myiven
2006-08-05, 08:24 PM
I've given them LA+1, and given them back some movement bonuses, but only in a forest environment (Race Feature of Forest Affinity, and "Uncanny Climber" feature).

No more adjustments until I get a chance to playtest them some more.

I would like to hear if anyone tries them out.

henebry
2006-08-06, 12:37 PM
Now it looks a bit weak to me, as you've given it LA+1 and taken away the big movement bonus of 40 speed.

Myiven Racial Traits
-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma. Balanced, no LA needed here.

Myiven base speed is 30 feet
Brachiate: Myiven can swing from branch to branch of trees (or across similar surfaces) without penalty.
Prehensile Tail: Myiven can pick up and manipulate objects with their tails, though they cannot attack with them.
Opposable Toe: Myiven can pick up and manipulate objects with their feet, though they cannot attack with them.
Forest Affinity: In a forest, jungle, or similar area with high amounts of tree canopy, Myiven are right at home and suffer no movement penalty for underbrush or other obstacles.
Uncanny Climber: Myiven can climb at twice the speed of a human.
All this is definitely cool, but I'm not sure it adds up to a LA +1. I'd give back the 40' movement and keep the LA at +1. Barbarians get 40 ft speed and no one complains (too much).

One more suggestion: Favored Class Bard, not Ranger. If they are a stone-age people, they're perfect for being an oral culture (as in Homer and epic poetry). For some reason the 3.5 writeup of the Bard makes the Bard seem bookish, but to my mind the Bard should (like the Barbarian) be an illiterate class. In this Bard mod, the Bard can't use scrolls, but she probably CAN use power runes or some scroll-equivalent of that sort. And such a Bard certainly CAN use her musical talent to cast Bardic spells.

Thanks for submitting this imaginative new race. I plan to implement it in my campaign and I'll let you know how it goes.

Tallis
2006-08-07, 11:55 AM
Seems like something that would fit well in an oriental setting.
I agree that as is they seem a bit weak for LA+1, give them back their 40 ft speed or give them a climb speed.
All in all I like them, trying to figure out if I can fit them into my world.