PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Getting 2 Swift Actions

Cedrass
2009-05-14, 01:34 PM
Quick question I'm wondering if it's possible for a Warblade to have 2 Swift actions in a single round.

The idea is to use Pouncing Strike while being in the Giant's Stance and then initiating Raging Mongoose and Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip.

I know of Celerity, but it's a target of "Self" and the build is Warblade 20, so no caster levels at all... He can't use an other maneuver to get it either so I'm kinda stuck.

For reference, he's focusing on TWF, Tiger Claw and Iron Heart.

Douglas
2009-05-14, 01:39 PM
No, it isn't. To my knowledge there are exactly two ways to get more than one swift action in the same round. One is to cast Shapechange and turn into a Chronotyryn (there might be another eligible monster with a similar ability). The other is to take 7 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator and spend Turn Undead attempts on it. Neither of these seems viable for your character.

Raging Mongoose + Girallon Windmill Fleshrip is generally something only 20th level Swordsages can do, and only 3 times per day thanks to the use limitation on their Dual Boost capstone.

Celerity wouldn't work anyway, as it would use up your swift action to give you a standard action. You'd end up with 2 standard actions and a move action (or 1 standard and 1 full round) with no swift actions at all so you wouldn't be able to use even one boost that round.

Frosty
2009-05-14, 01:45 PM
I houserule that you can give up your standard action for a swift action, but that doesn't help you.

Eldariel
2009-05-14, 04:51 PM
Psionic power "Schism" can also arguably do that; there's an example of Schism-mind manifesting a swift action power in XPH (Temporal Acceleration IIRC). Of course, the question is whether the swift action required by the boost is purely mental or not.

Of course, getting Schism is a non-trivial hurdle too. Many kinds of shiftable forms get multiple actions, so those would work (Chronotyryn is only one; there're more split-mind creatures out there) provided you're allowed to either lose Standard Actions for swift actions or have a mind capable of taking a swift action in a turn too. But meh, Ruby Knight Vindicator is the only "easy" solution.

Although technically you could use "Island in Time" ability of Eternal Blade; if the Standard > Swift conversion is allowed, this allows you to use a boost on your normal turn as a Standard Action, initiate Island in Time and use the swift action for another boost on that level, then perform whatever attack you want with the remaining full-round action.

For this particular job, Swordsage is better as they get the "Dual Boost"-ability on 20.

olentu
2009-05-14, 05:32 PM
Psionic power "Schism" can also arguably do that; there's an example of Schism-mind manifesting a swift action power in XPH (Temporal Acceleration IIRC). Of course, the question is whether the swift action required by the boost is purely mental or not.

Of course, getting Schism is a non-trivial hurdle too. Many kinds of shiftable forms get multiple actions, so those would work (Chronotyryn is only one; there're more split-mind creatures out there) provided you're allowed to either lose Standard Actions for swift actions or have a mind capable of taking a swift action in a turn too. But meh, Ruby Knight Vindicator is the only "easy" solution.

Although technically you could use "Island in Time" ability of Eternal Blade; if the Standard > Swift conversion is allowed, this allows you to use a boost on your normal turn as a Standard Action, initiate Island in Time and use the swift action for another boost on that level, then perform whatever attack you want with the remaining full-round action.

For this particular job, Swordsage is better as they get the "Dual Boost"-ability on 20.

I seem to remember a requirement on maneuvers that you must be able to move to initiate the maneuver. This would probably mean that the schism mind could not initiate maneuvers.

Although reading the text on schism is seems that the second mind might be limited to one standard action and nothing else.

Eldariel
2009-05-14, 05:40 PM
Although reading the text on schism is seems that the second mind might be limited to one standard action and nothing else.

Well, the book also mentions (in the description of Temporal Acceleration) the Schism-mind manifesting this power (which is a swift action and thus not possible unless the second mind can take swift actions too), which is why I usually assume the second mind can take both.

But yeah, movement is a problem. Maybe some Control Body-shenanigans...

olentu
2009-05-14, 05:53 PM
Well, the book also mentions (in the description of Temporal Acceleration) the Schism-mind manifesting this power (which is a swift action and thus not possible unless the second mind can take swift actions too), which is why I usually assume the second mind can take both.

But yeah, movement is a problem. Maybe some Control Body-shenanigans...

Well there is not really a problem with temporal acceleration as it merely says what would happen if your schism mind managed to manifest it not that the schism mind can manifest it so it does not really change anything in the schism description. It is possible that the section was placed there just in case some book in the future allowed for the schism mind to manifest temporal acceleration but given wizards track record on controlling interactions I would not find it likely.

The movement thing is certainly another sticking point.

Cedrass
2009-05-14, 06:32 PM
Mhh, I'm guessing this character won't do it then. Psionics aren't in (sorry I should have said so before) and taking a prestige class isn't what that guy wants to do. He never rolled a single class character and want this one to be one.

It's not like he'll be weak or anything, I was just looking out to see if it was feasible. Thanks a lot!

Eldariel
2009-05-14, 07:04 PM
Mhh, I'm guessing this character won't do it then. Psionics aren't in (sorry I should have said so before) and taking a prestige class isn't what that guy wants to do. He never rolled a single class character and want this one to be one.

It's not like he'll be weak or anything, I was just looking out to see if it was feasible. Thanks a lot!

For what it's worth, two levels after he could do that, he can use Girallon+Time Stands Still, which is a whole other degree of brutal.