PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Homebrewing a dragon campaign

SemiteLock
2009-05-14, 01:37 PM
Hey playgrounders, Im about to homebrew my first campaign ever, and I was hoping for some suggestions/help.

Basis: Five person party, all players are dragonborn. In order to compensate for the different party roles, I'm changing the stats around for the dragonborn, depending on their color. For instance, the gold (remembering that metallic dragons are the good ones) has a +2 to int and wis instead of str and cha, in order to support the controller role better. Skills will also be changed, e.g. the gold will get +2 to arcana and history, instead of intimidate. Their breath will correspond to their color, brass will breathe fire, copper will breath acid/poison etc.

Story: The Return of Arkhosia. In effect, the five dragonborn are the children of the five leaders of the metallic clans (gold, brass, silver, copper, the other one i forgot). When their parents are killed by Tiamat, Bahamut appears to them in their dreams to order them to rebuild Arkhosia and to eventually kill Tiamat.

Leveling: The only problem with leveling 1-30 is it takes so long! I was thinking that they will play levels 1-5, 11-16, 21-24, and 28-30, and eventually killing tiamat. This way they get the feel of the epic campaign without the epic grind.

I think thats it. Help please!

Sorry about the wall of text, i couldnt find the spoiler button :smalleek:

Mando Knight
2009-05-14, 01:57 PM
Actually, you could keep the original stat modifiers... Dragonborn make good Dragon Sorcerers (PHB II), Rogues (any type, just buff Dex), and Two-Weapon Rangers for Striking; good Inspiring or Bravura (Martial Power) Warlords and Strength Clerics for Leading; good Paladins and Fighters for Defending (OK Assault Swordmages, decent Wardens); and I believe they can make decent Invokers (Controller). Not sure on the last one, I don't have PHB II on me...

In short, the only role Dragonborn don't readily fall into is Controller... which they make up for somewhat with their Dragon Breath and Sorcerers.

Spoilers are . There's no button for them.

chronoplasm
2009-05-14, 02:20 PM
If you are concerned about the grind of XP, you might consider speeding it up by awarding more XP and lowering the XP thresholds required to level up.

Normally it takes 1000XP for players to ding up to level 2. However, you could reduce that to 500XP if you wanted and it really wouldn't hurt anything as long as the enemies level up at the same rate.

SemiteLock
2009-05-14, 05:38 PM
To clarify Mando, all the controllers need wis and at least int or dex to be fully effective, at least according to the basic info about them. I was aware that with the str and cha boost dragonborn really can do anything, but it seemed since there are different colors/types, why wouldn't they have different abilities/strengths? Just changing it around a little bit to fit the roles didnt seem like to much work.

And thanks for the hint chrono, ill talk to my players and see what they want to do.