PDA

View Full Version : High Level Arena [Talic vs. Tyreus]

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 03:43 PM
The arena, a massive Colliseum built in a powerful archmage's private demiplane looms around you. Thousands of people wearing the special goggles that will allow them to see the combatants even through illusions, defences or brick walls and terrain features so as not to miss a single moment of action applaud excitedly when the Archmage himself teleports you in the prearranged positions within the empty field.

Having checked you for possible illegal magics, substances or other preparations, the old man in his black robe and cowl now manipulates the arena's phantasmal terrain, making it assume one of the prearranged configurations randomly. The area around you flickers through several different environments under the seven-color gleam of an impenetrable shield that surrounds it; a hundred feet tall and ten times as wide, the barrier prevents both external interference and you from leaving until the fight is done.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-05-14, 05:21 PM
Rolls;
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-05-14, 05:27 PM
No restricting magic circles flash around you-and you scramble to attack first as you realise there will be no preparation this time. Even as you do, the environment settles into an open plain with waist-high grass and small rock formations littering the field. The illumination dims as the time settles into moonless night and moderate winds and rain fill the fields.

OOC:
high grass is normal terrain for large and larger creatures but difficult terrain for medium and smaller creatures as well as large quardupeds.

Talic
2009-05-14, 05:38 PM
Nothing is immediately visible in the opposing area. However, if you're possessed of special sight abilities:

See Invisibility, True Seeing, or the like:A ghostly figure looms, feet flush against the ground... His shield seems to almost reflect the light, and the sword resting easily at his side glints slightly, despite the fact that every part of him can be seen through. He seems to be dressed casually, in nothing but the simple clothing of a traveller...

Status Effects at start of round: Shield Drawn and readied, longsword is drawn. All wearable gear equipped.

Initiative: [roll0]

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 06:15 PM
Nothing appears across from you either, unless you also possess some form of special sight...

You see a small humanoid creature with great feathered wings. He appears to be holding a shield and small metal rod. The creatures form is insubstantial and pale.

Initiative: [roll0] (leaving bonuses out, keeping most character stats as secret as possible)

OOC: I cannot see invisable but I can see ethereal. If your ethereal that could change things so let me know before we post actions.

Talic
2009-05-14, 06:28 PM
I am, indeed, ethereal.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 06:46 PM
(As am I, so you can see me and read my first spoiler. I have the higher initiative, so I'll go first.)

A thin green ray springs forth from the outstretched rod.

Ranged touch attack: (if your a ghost you don't add your charisma to AC on the ethereal plane)
[roll0] (forget hiding bonuses, this is easier :smalltongue:)
Make a fortitude save

Details:
Quickened true strike followed by a maximized (rod) disintigrate. Fortitude save DC: 34 or take 240 points of damage. Success results in 30 points of damage.

Talic
2009-05-14, 07:58 PM
Fort Save: [roll0]

EDIT: I imagine that's a success. Remainder of your turn?

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 09:37 PM
Move's 150 ft backwards and up.

EDIT: And yes that's a success.

Talic
2009-05-14, 09:42 PM
My turn:
Automatic: heal 9.
Standard: Activate an item: Divine Shield. Also, transfer my defender bonus to complete AC.
Move action: Move 30 feet forward.

Done.

Total damage currently sustained: 21.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 10:04 PM
Cast greater dispel magic on Talic's shield.
Dispel check: [roll0]

EDIT: I rolled a 1 but it should still be successful because reflecting is CL 14 and +5 is CL 15 and the book says the higher of the two.

No movement, your turn.

Talic
2009-05-14, 10:49 PM
Ok. The Item level of a +5 is 15. That makes the DC to dispel the shield itself 26. The effect I put upon it is level 16. That makes the DC to dispel it 27.

I did not have reflecting on the shield. It's just a shiny Adamantine Shield.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 11:16 PM
Duh its 11+caster level... I'm retarded... Well your turn that was a waste :smallredface:.

Talic
2009-05-14, 11:25 PM
My turn:

Standard: Using something else. I disappear!
Move: 30 feet forward

Healing 9, again, puts my damage to 12.

Done.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 11:31 PM
Cast true seeing. Let me know what happens.

Talic
2009-05-14, 11:35 PM
30 feet ahead of my previous position, under the effect of an Invisibility spell.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 11:42 PM
(So we're 210 ft away right?) I quickly gesture and remain hovering where I am.
Cast quickened true strike

Talic
2009-05-14, 11:55 PM
Heal 9. (total damage sustained: 3)
Move: 20 feet forward, 15 feet up.
Assume a defensive stance. (Total defense action).

Note: the total arena is 500 feet wide. We're 60 feet off center (120 feet apart) to start. You've flown back 150 feet. That puts you 40 feet from a wall.

The arena is also 100 feet tall, I'm assuming you're 50 feet up. If that's not so, let me know.

We're now 180 feet apart, at any rate.

Tyreus
2009-05-14, 11:59 PM
(Works for me)

The small winged figure throws an amber sphere at you.

Ranged touch [roll0]
No save

Cast Amber Sarcophagus

EDIT: Move forward 55 ft first.

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:09 AM
That's a miss. Current touch AC versus you is:

10 + 5 (dex) + 26 (shield - Shield Ward Feat) + 5 (defending weapon) + 4 (Total defense) = 50.

Breakdown on shield: +5 Large shield with shield specialization = +8 AC. Add on Divine shield and a +18 charisma modifier, and it's +26.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:16 AM
Ok that sucks, but thanks for explaining. I mutter something and fly 50 more ft up.

quickened divine power, BAB now +20

Ok your turn.

EDIT: That stupid total defense is the only thing that made me miss! I hope you feel clever for doing that :smalltongue::smallwink:.

Talic
2009-05-15, 01:11 AM
My Turn.
The last of the damage I took from Disintigrate fades away.

I move 30 feet farther away from you.
Ready an action: Activate helm of teleportation to teleport next to my foe if he does any action that would provoke an Attack of Opportunity.

Edit: Done.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:01 PM
The small winged creature cast a spell then quickly mutters and throws a small amber sphere at you.

Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

Cast True Strike then quickened Amber Sarcophagus

(Assuming this hit)
A target hit by a ranged touch attack is encased in amber and goes into Stasis. While within, the target is immune to all attacks, including mental ones.

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:07 PM
You may look in my spoiler. You triggered my ready action.

As you begin to cast True strike, I disappear. [roll0]
1-94, I end up right beside you, just in time for you to provoke an Attack of opportunity.

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:10 PM
Attack of Opportunity: [roll0]
If hit: [roll1] + [roll2] +29
And a concentration check or lose the spell.

Edit: If hit, DC 50 Concentration check, and 40 damage.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:11 PM
Oh, clever. So I provoke an attack after casting true strike, have to make a concentration check to keep the spell, then after that I'll slightly change my actions. Ok roll your attack vs AC 33. Same AC for touch, this is without charisma bonus as deflection.

Concentration check: [roll0]

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:18 PM
Just my 10+dex+shield = 41 touch. And I get my shield to Touch AC due to the shield ward feat.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:20 PM
(Ok you ninja'd me... And I failed my check by 1 damn you! :smallsmile:)

The small humanoid jumps as you teleport right next to him and lets out a gasp as he is struck by your powerful blow. He loses his spell, then beats his great wings and moves 150 ft away from you.

Cast quickened True Strike

EDIT: Your turn

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:25 PM
Move 30 feet towards you.
Ready an action. Telekinesis, violent thrust, on me, 120 feet into him.. If he does any action that would provoke an aoo. Because after I hit him... If he has the spell? I'll still get my aoo.

Edit: Your turn.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:35 PM
Defensively cast Amber Sarcophagus. (should have done this the first time, didn't expect that though) Concentration DC of 22 is automatically made.

Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

That should have hit and hopefully your encased in amber and in stasis for the next 20 days...

Talic
2009-05-15, 12:44 PM
That's a hit.

However... Is that a magical effect which impedes my ability to move or act? If so, then it should be blocked by my ring of Freedom of Movement.

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 12:56 PM
I had thought about freedom of movement too, but this is a stasis effect which I don't think freedom of movement applies to... The spell is in BoED if you want to take a look. Let me know what you think.

Talic
2009-05-15, 01:01 PM
I'll give it to you. Care to try versus another character of mine? Same conditions? Or would you prefer 1 round of prep time?

Tyreus
2009-05-15, 04:18 PM
Yeah that sounds good to me. You can decide on the prep rounds. Is this the other ghost character you have fighting right now or the living one you spoke of earlier?

Talic
2009-05-16, 12:01 AM
I'll go with my caster ghost, sure.

I'm fine with 0-3 prep rounds... Would 1 work for you?

Tyreus
2009-05-16, 02:42 AM
Yeah one prep round works.

Talic
2009-05-16, 03:22 AM
Init: [roll0]

Prep: Cast Superior invisibility and Quickened Haste-using metamagic rod of quicken.

Tyreus
2009-05-16, 11:56 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

Prep:
Cast spell turning [roll1]

You see a small scaly creature with great feathered wings holding a small shield and a small metal rod.

Talic
2009-05-16, 12:10 PM
I actually don't see that. Then again, if you don't have a True Seeing effect up, you don't see me either.

My Round 1 (spoilered because you don't see me):
Cast Quickened True Seeing.
Manifest.
Move forward 60 feet.

Now I see the small scaly creature.

Tyreus
2009-05-16, 12:23 PM
Cast true seeing. Let me know what I see before I post more actions.

Talic
2009-05-16, 12:31 PM
60 feet away from you, at ground level, sits a ghostly creature, bedecked in several magic items, holding a rod in one hand, and nothing in the other.

Currently manifested in the material plane, I count as corporeal.

Tyreus
2009-05-16, 03:54 PM
Currently manifested in the material plane, I count as corporeal.

Only if I manifest... I'm still on the ethereal where you are not corporeal.

Manifestation (Su)
<snip>
A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.
<snip>
When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally.

For our purposes it doesn't seem to matter which plane we are on...

The small creature flies to within 35 ft of you and cast quickened summon elemental monolith. A gargantuan fire elemental appears behind you (on the ethereal plane) and attempts to start a grapple.

Touch attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If either of those are successful the read the spoiler.

It attempts to grabs you. Make a grapple attempt vs [roll2].

On a failure take [roll3] fire damage and make a DC 34 reflex save or catch on fire for [roll4] rounds.

Make another grapple check [roll5] or become pinned.

If pinned you can't cast spells with a verbal or somatic component. Also make a check vs a disarm attempt or lose the rod your holding. [roll6]

Talic
2009-05-16, 04:41 PM
Summon elemental monolith has a cast time of 1 full round. Quickening a spell with a cast time of 1 full round changes it to a standard action.

Where are you getting your standard action?

Tyreus
2009-05-16, 05:18 PM
Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell, in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may cast only one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a quickened spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity

It doesn't say anything about a full round spell being a standard action... Maybe your thinking of the metamagic feat rapid spell?

Talic
2009-05-16, 07:34 PM
In any case, I'm under the effect of Freedom of movement, so I automatically succeed. Done?

EDIT: You did succeed the touch attacks.

Tyreus
2009-05-17, 11:23 AM
Ok your turn then.

Talic
2009-05-17, 04:25 PM
Well then, I suppose I can start with a Quickened Empowered Disintegrate.

Fort Save DC 34, on you.

If fail: [roll0] x 1.5
(EDIT: 189)

If pass:[roll1] x1.5
(EDIT: 22)

Tyreus
2009-05-18, 03:21 PM
Hope this works...

Fort save: [roll0]

EDIT: Nice rolled a 19... So 22 pts of damage.

Talic
2009-05-21, 09:07 PM
Hm. That's unusual. Let's try something different then.

Empowered Magic Missile.

[roll0] x1.5
+5

EDIT: 29 damage.

Tyreus
2009-05-23, 11:58 AM
Damage for the 1st touch attack from the elemental:
[roll0] fire damage and make a DC 34 reflex save or catch on fire for [roll1] rounds.
And again for the second:
[roll2] fire damage and make a DC 34 reflex save or catch on fire for [roll3] rounds.

The magic missiles reflect back at you.

On my turn the elemental attacks:
1st Slam [roll4] damage [roll5] plus [roll6] fire

2nd Slam [roll7] damage [roll8] plus [roll9] fire

And I cast a quickened maximized disintegrate. Make a fortitude save DC 35 or take 240 damage. Succeed and take 30

Talic
2009-05-23, 03:42 PM
Eat the magic missiles.

Immediate action: I am surrounded by a globe, as the elemental attacks.

Elemental needs to make the following saves:
For his first attack: Fort DC 36, then Will DC 36.
For his second attack: Fort DC 36, then Will DC 36.

The disintegrate impacts the globe harmlessly.

Tyreus
2009-05-23, 08:26 PM
Saves for elemental:
1st attack
Fort [roll0] Will:[roll1]
2nd attack
Fort [roll2] Will:[roll3]

It may not matter but I don't think the elemental would attack a second time once it realized the globe hurt it. I leave that up to you though.

Tyreus
2009-05-23, 08:31 PM
How big is the globe? Does it only occupy your square or is it a 5 ft radius or what?

Talic
2009-05-23, 10:50 PM
Only my square.

The passed Fort save is good. The creature takes [roll0] Con damage.

With the failed will save, the elemental disappears, teleported to a random plane of existence.

That's as it passes through the globe, so it is before it lands a hit.

Continue.

Belial_the_Leveler
2009-05-24, 04:35 AM
Elementals are immune to poison-the green layer does nothing. If the Elemental Monolith has SR, it applies as well.

Talic
2009-05-24, 04:47 AM
@Belial:Please keep information not accessible to all players spoilered. In this instance, it was not known that the effect was a poison effect. This can give my opponent clues as to what effect it is. I'll check the remainder of the information when I get home.

Further, the Elemental Monolith does not have SR. However, now my opponent has further information that he should not have... Namely, that SR is effective against the effect.

You're more than welcome to correct my errors, however, giving my opponent information that they don't have access to? I'd appreciate if you refrained from that.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 12:29 PM
The elemental doesn't go anywhere. Do the attacks hit or does the globe completely stop them or do they fail to penetrate your AC?

A dimensional anchor effect is on everyone but me from the darkskull.

Talic
2009-05-25, 01:19 PM
If you'd care to explain to me why the elemental doesn't go anywhere, I'm all ears.

This skull, carved from ebony, is wholly evil. Wherever the skull goes, the area around it is treated as though an unhallow spell had been cast with the skull as the touched point of origin (except that no additional spell effect is tied or fixed to the darkskull).

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 02:00 PM
Ah sorry I didn't see that a spell couldn't be attached. Then the elemental does disappear. Is it my turn or yours now?

Talic
2009-05-25, 02:05 PM
Well, You've used a swift, your elemental attacked, and you moved. If you had an effect which maintains your concentration (such as sonorous hum), you have a standard action, else, that's probably the end of your turn.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 02:07 PM
I do not, so it is your turn then.

Talic
2009-05-25, 02:25 PM
The bubble streaks over to your location...

Cast from within the bubble. Blade of Pain and Fear

Melee Touch attack: [roll]1d20+6[roll]
If hit, SR: [roll0]
If pass: [roll1]

If threat:[roll2]
If crit: [roll3]

As you are undead, I assume you're immune to the fear aspect of the weapon, and only get the pain.

Talic
2009-05-25, 02:28 PM
Fix broken roll: [roll0]

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 04:14 PM
That's a miss. Done?

Talic
2009-05-25, 04:33 PM
Provided that's a miss when you don't have your deflection (don't get that against targets that are ethereal), yes.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 04:46 PM
I forgot about that but yes it's still a miss. Ok I take a 5ft step back and cast greater dispel magic then a quickened dhulark’s glasstrike. Make a fortitude save DC 36 or turn into glass.

Talic
2009-05-25, 05:12 PM
Greater Dispel Magic Impacts the globe, to no effect.

Care to change the other?

NOTE: As was earlier stated by Belial, the visible color on the sphere is Green.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 05:29 PM
I assume your an initiate of the seven fold veil and had the green and violet colors up.. Green blocks breath weapons and violet blocks everything but is suppressed by dispel magic.. Just wondering why the dispel didn't do anything since it should be unaffected by the green sphere..

Talic
2009-05-25, 05:38 PM
Because of this:

Double Warding: At 6th level and higher, an initiate can raise two veils at once any time she creates a warding. This still counts as only one use of her warding ability. The less powerful effect (progressing from red up through violet) is always considered to be “outside” the more powerful effect, so a double warding consisting of a blue veil and a green veil would subject any creature passing through to the green veil
first, followed by the blue veil. To negate the entire warding, the outermost veil must be negated before the inner veil can be negated.

As long as the Green veil is up, the Violet veil cannot be destroyed. Prismatic Walls (and the veil effects based on them) must be destroyed in order. You can't bypass layers.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 06:24 PM
Ah, I knew that... Silly mistake. What are the rules for me moving into your square and casting a spell on you? Would it be a grapple? What if I manifested so we are both on the material and incorporeal? By raw I would have line of effect and we would both be inside the prismatic globe... I would have to deal with the effects of the colors of course.

Talic
2009-05-25, 07:39 PM
Ending movement in a square with an enemy is not allowed, without a feat, ability, or attack that allows you to do so. Further, even while manifested, we are still fully ethereal.

Also, Pris wall (and thus, the veils) are Abjurations, which means they extend to ethereal plane and material.

You can make a touch attack with a spell through the veil, suffering all effects of doing so.

Tyreus
2009-05-25, 10:49 PM
Could I stick my hand through the globe to cast a spell with a range other then touch?

Talic
2009-05-26, 12:26 AM
I haven't done that precisely because RAW lists ranged attacks must originate from your square.

If your character has a way to convert ranged touch to touch, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Why else would I be using that uber crappy blade of pain and fear? lol. Yeah, it ignores armor, and you don't get deflection bonuses, but even so... It's crap damage, and against ghosts, it's crap to hit. Thank god it lasts for a couple minutes, or it'd be totally worthless.

Tyreus
2009-05-26, 12:58 AM
I was wondering what your strategy was with that one. :smalltongue: You can't cast ranged spells at me while the globe is up? I thought the ward was only one way... But I'm trying to figure out what I could do against you since I don't have any touch spells at the moment. Either a) try and survive until the duration expires and you run out of uses, so a long ass time lol or b) use malevolence until you roll a one and possess you (if thats even allowed) or c) grapple you and try to cast spells from a grapple, in which they would originate from my space and we would be in the same space...

Talic
2009-05-26, 01:12 AM
The down side to the ward... When it says it blocks spells, it blocks spells. ;)

Typically, with most, it meant I brought up specific wards that would stop specific effects, adn allow others through.

For example, I would bring up the anti-magical ranged attacks one for a disintegrate, and then throw a waves of fatigue back.

Side note: Malevolence is only for creatures in the material. Won't work if we're both in the ethereal.

C would work, provided you can stick the grapple... Your elemental already got introduced to my Freedom of Movement effect.