PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Treasure Per Encounter

AngelOmnipotent
2009-05-14, 05:16 PM
First of all I apologise for this kind of thread. I've used a forum search but its very difficult to actually find what I'm looking for and fit it into a few keywords.

A thread maybe a month back mentioned there being something similar to a treasure per level table. For example:

First Encounter: 300gp, 2 potions, 1 scroll
Second Encounter: 50gp, 3 gems, 1 mundane item

and so on... so it fit to the treasure per encounter amounts given by the SRD but without it being a chore to randomly roll -everything-. I'm starting a level 1 adventure where most things have junk on them but small chests elsewhere so it would be very handy and time saving.

Does anyone have a link to this table, or knows it, or has a link to that particular thread? Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Coidzor
2009-05-14, 06:43 PM
Well, one thing you can do if you don't wanna do too much work is to roll up several encounters' worth of loot (other than equipment obviously) as caches that the party should be reasonably expected to find and obtain. Like, say, roll up the treasure they should get for the adventure and divy it up into one, two, three, or more chests/rooms.

Probably if there are any useful magical objects in there, distribute those to the monsters who can use 'em if you don't want the players to be all... wait, why wasn't anyone using this +1 morningstar when most of them were using morningstars...

I think the treasure table from the DMG is a no-no to post, but I think you're actually asking if anyone has made up a pre-rolled table of loot to give for various encounters.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-05-14, 07:07 PM
I think the treasure table from the DMG is a no-no to post, but I think you're actually asking if anyone has made up a pre-rolled table of loot to give for various encounters.

It was specifically someone saying that for an entire level you roll up X amount of loot of specific types, and you divide it between the encounter - I guess it was more of a sensible way of dividing it more than anything.

Waspinator
2009-05-15, 02:30 PM
Well, you can look at the wealth-by-level table in the DMG, use a bit of subtraction to get the wealth gain for the given level, multiply it by the number of players, and you know how much loot the enemies that give them that level should roughly, collectively have. The exact mix of loot can vary a lot depending on what you feel like going with, but coins, magic weapons/armor, and combat-useful wondrous items (AC boosts, ability score enhancers, etc..) are always good choices.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-15, 02:37 PM
Well, you can look at the wealth-by-level table in the DMG, use a bit of subtraction to get the wealth gain for the given level, multiply it by the number of players, and you know how much loot the enemies that give them that level should roughly, collectively have. The exact mix of loot can vary a lot depending on what you feel like going with, but coins, magic weapons/armor, and combat-useful wondrous items (AC boosts, ability score enhancers, etc..) are always good choices.Keep in mind while doing this that items that get used up, like Wands and Scrolls, are expected to be dropped and used before impacting WBL. It's kind of hard to figure out the exact value, but with a Wizard in the party you can assume he'll scribe the spell and value scrolls based on that.

Gralamin
2009-05-15, 02:54 PM
It was specifically someone saying that for an entire level you roll up X amount of loot of specific types, and you divide it between the encounter - I guess it was more of a sensible way of dividing it more than anything.

So you want Treasure Packets. They did this for 4e, but I haven't seen anyone take the effort for 3.5, but it does make more sense.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-05-15, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the above suggestions. Reading back through my original post I guess it's just making me sound incredibly lazy! I'm just a sucker for micromanagement, and it bugs me if I have to look up things I've written down on various sheets of paper each time an encounter comes to an end.

So you want Treasure Packets. They did this for 4e, but I haven't seen anyone take the effort for 3.5, but it does make more sense.

It sounds like this is the closest to what I read. I also have a query of how many encounters on average would a party have per level, or does it change depending on the level? I've ran games before but I really haven't paid much attention to things in such detail as I've has very casual players. This new game is going to be very sand-box type so a bit more thought has to go into it.

I believe the original post was someone asking how you distribute treasure when you're in a dungeon where the enemies wouldn't actually have treasure of their own (undead, constructs etc.) and it was a guideline as to what you could put in each treasure cache per encounter. If that gives any clues?

Curmudgeon
2009-05-15, 06:07 PM
I don't do random treasure except for kleptomaniac monsters (dragon hoards, for example). Most treasure should be figured as the useful/valuable gear the enemies have on them. So magical weapons, armor, and potions; plus some coins/money for living expenses. Treasure for nonsentient monsters should be what their previous victims had before being killed and eaten. Gems will survive being digested but leather and cloth items won't; otherwise, I figure the treasure pretty much the same for both types of enemies.

Random treasure just ends up being weird, and somewhat less likely to be useful to the PCs than the equipment enemies used fighting them.

Gralamin
2009-05-15, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the above suggestions. Reading back through my original post I guess it's just making me sound incredibly lazy! I'm just a sucker for micromanagement, and it bugs me if I have to look up things I've written down on various sheets of paper each time an encounter comes to an end.

It sounds like this is the closest to what I read. I also have a query of how many encounters on average would a party have per level, or does it change depending on the level? I've ran games before but I really haven't paid much attention to things in such detail as I've has very casual players. This new game is going to be very sand-box type so a bit more thought has to go into it.

I believe the original post was someone asking how you distribute treasure when you're in a dungeon where the enemies wouldn't actually have treasure of their own (undead, constructs etc.) and it was a guideline as to what you could put in each treasure cache per encounter. If that gives any clues?

In 3.5? The baseline is 13.3 Encounters of equal CR are enough to level you.
What I'd do though is fine the difference in WBL between two levels (Assuming say 100 gp for first), and distribute Loot for characters * that. So Say it worked out to 900 gp per player, and you have 4 players, Distribute 3600 gp.
Now it doesn't have to stay spot on, but its best if overall it stays about the same, Ie: You might take 50 from each of the others players shares to give Player X an item they need 150 gp more for, but you record that A, B, and C are 50 GP behind.

AngelOmnipotent
2009-05-16, 06:30 AM
In 3.5? The baseline is 13.3 Encounters of equal CR are enough to level you.
What I'd do though is fine the difference in WBL between two levels (Assuming say 100 gp for first), and distribute Loot for characters * that. So Say it worked out to 900 gp per player, and you have 4 players, Distribute 3600 gp.
Now it doesn't have to stay spot on, but its best if overall it stays about the same, Ie: You might take 50 from each of the others players shares to give Player X an item they need 150 gp more for, but you record that A, B, and C are 50 GP behind.

Thanks again for the info :) I actually like my players to find less gold and more mundane objects such as lamps, rope, alchemist stuff, tools - mainly because I'm not allowing them enough gold to start with to actually buy all of that stuff.

They're all starting as level 1 commoners (all skill points at first level going on a craft or profession) with a dream of becoming something else, and going out to look for it! Of course once they get their first level in insert-class-here it'll replace the commoner level, but actually getting to that point is going to be very challengeing.