PDA

View Full Version : Variant or homebrew rules to rid ones self of LA

TomKatt
2009-05-15, 06:32 AM
Im Playing a Kobold Half dragon trapsmith type character, Rogue lvls and soon trapsmith lvls and when our world finally uncovers the lost ruins and blah blah blah we unleash steamtech and clockworks on it a few lvl sof steampunk artificer MWHAHAHAHA >.>;;

BUT id really like to negate my +3 LA so i can make full use of all my lvls something like 5 rogue 5 trapsmith 10 artificer would be nice. Anyways if any one has any rule variants that allow for easy uncomplicated sloughing off of LA id like to know, by the way i do have the unearthed arcana but i cant figure out that rule its a bit.... complicated or im just misunderstanding it

arkol
2009-05-15, 06:33 AM
The UA rules are actually quite simple. Just follow the exemples.

Tempest Fennac
2009-05-15, 06:34 AM
I typically take a race I want to use, take off or nerf features which I see as being responsible for the LA and ask other people for advice. (My Anachu thread sums it up well; I'm not sure how to nerf Half Dragons down, though.)

RTGoodman
2009-05-15, 06:38 AM
The UA rules are actually quite simple. Just follow the exemples.

Specifically, arkol is talking about THESE (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm) Level Adjustment Buy-Off rules from Unearthed Arcana. Probably you're best option.

TomKatt
2009-05-15, 07:54 AM
Id rather not nerf my half dragon side especially since hes already built just want to slough off those extra LA's
Thanks for the link to the UA rules it seems to be a good system but our DM doesnt use the self correcting nature of the experience tables -.- he goes with a flat xp gain all around... and if im 3 lvls behind every one i might as well have an LA 3 anyways...

AmberVael
2009-05-15, 08:22 AM
if im 3 lvls behind every one i might as well have an LA 3 anyways...

Actually, no. LA means you have an entire level's worth of experience devoted to that LA. By removing that LA, you have to gain less experience to level up again. So even if your DM tosses the same amount of XP to everyone, if you were to lose all of your LA, you'd be leveling up faster than them.

Granted, due to the way the UA rules work, I don't know if it would be worth it (due to the XP loss it incurs), but one could find out.

Greg
2009-05-15, 08:25 AM
Id rather not nerf my half dragon side especially since hes already built just want to slough off those extra LA's
Thanks for the link to the UA rules it seems to be a good system but our DM doesnt use the self correcting nature of the experience tables -.- he goes with a flat xp gain all around... and if im 3 lvls behind every one i might as well have an LA 3 anyways...
Not really. If you're at level 1, and the rest of the party are at level 4, then you need 1000XP to gain a level, whereas the rest need 4000XP. You need less XP to level. Getting more for being lower level helps, but isn't entirely necessary.

Using the buy-off method, you would spend 45,000XP to drop the LA. However, to get 20 class levels, it would require 190,000(level 1-20)+45,000 for buying off LA = 235,000XP. To get 20 class levels to advance from ECL 4-23, it would require 247,000XP. You'd get to 20 class levels 12,000XP earlier than you would have. It's still a fair bit more than if you had no LA at all, but it makes a difference - you reach level 20 45,000XP after everyone else, as opposed to the 57,000XP you would be behind.

Edit - partially ninja'd, but the maths bears out. It's worth it with a +3.