PDA

View Full Version : Jirix!

nysisobli
2009-05-15, 09:38 AM
Good news guys, team evil has won and the nameless goblin cleric won't die! rich named him =)

The Giant in the Playground forums have been turned off for a few hours due to heavy anticipated traffic relating to the new The Order of the Stick and Erfworld comics. We also hope to initiate the announced server change during this period. Thank you for your patience, and we hope to be back in service later tonight.

Oh, and since I got a few dozen emails about it, yes, the art for OOTS #652 was missing the proper battle damage on Xykon, Redcloak, and Jirix. A revised version has been uploaded.

Mauve Shirt
2009-05-15, 09:40 AM
Well, he was first named back here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html)

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-15, 09:43 AM
he was named back in 543, when Redcloak demanded to know if he had put the cover sheets on the tps reports, thus insuring his survival. We can;t knock off a main character like the TPS report cover sheeter without some backstory and a dramatic ending!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0543.html

nysisobli
2009-05-15, 09:48 AM
oh im sorry..... i was excited thanks for ruining the only discovery ive made in the last 4 months =(

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-15, 09:49 AM
I am happy he survived as well. I liked the expanding little Team Evil family. Maybe when Redcloak and Xykon eventually move on it will fall to Jirix to resolve the Azure City/Hobgoblin conflict, and he will come to be known as a great leader and diplomat...

And it does seem having a name helps (or being like the nameless cleric of Loki).

nysisobli
2009-05-15, 09:50 AM
His name was chuck....norris

xyzzy
2009-05-15, 10:38 AM
I'm more interested in the fact that this tells us something about goblin nomenclature. We know Jeff (bonus comic in DCF), Dan (Goblin Dan's hydra buffet) and Jirix; any others?

PId6
2009-05-15, 11:44 AM
Is he a cleric? I always thought he was some kind of hobgoblin general or something.

Kaytara
2009-05-15, 11:46 AM
So, any bets on what Jirix is doing right now? We didn't see him in this comic at all. Maybe he went off to get hobgoblin help? Or maybe he tried to do so, but O-Chul subdued him out of his cage and stole his keys? XD

NerfTW
2009-05-15, 12:50 PM
From Start of Darkness:
We never learned Right Eye's name, but his wife is named Aliyar, and his sons are named Ridiziak and Eriaxnikol. His daughter is never named, which is why she's considered a future plot point by some. (because she was sent away from the camp at some point)

There was also Kayanarra, a goblin Redcloak met in the village.

OmegaDonut
2009-05-15, 01:10 PM
So, any bets on what Jirix is doing right now? We didn't see him in this comic at all. Maybe he went off to get hobgoblin help? Or maybe he tried to do so, but O-Chul subdued him out of his cage and stole his keys? XD

Not in this comic at all? He shows up in four panels.

Dagren
2009-05-15, 01:23 PM
Is he a cleric? I always thought he was some kind of hobgoblin general or something.Really? He looks to be wearing an (un)holy symbol to me...

Kaytara
2009-05-15, 01:43 PM
Not in this comic at all? He shows up in four panels.

....I've never felt so ridiculous about my Spot checks. :smalleek:

Dagren
2009-05-15, 03:43 PM
By the way, am I missing something here? The OP says the Giant finally named Jirix, but I can't find him mentioned by name in either of the last two comics. Since this was posted today, I doubt he's referring to #543 either. Am I just dense or something?

kenb215
2009-05-15, 07:38 PM
By the way, am I missing something here? The OP says the Giant finally named Jirix, but I can't find him mentioned by name in either of the last two comics. Since this was posted today, I doubt he's referring to #543 either. Am I just dense or something?

When the forums were down the usual message was replaced with a different one. The OP quoted it.

Illven
2009-05-15, 09:25 PM

Don't worry every one fails spot checks sometimes

Dagren
2009-05-15, 09:59 PM
When the forums were down the usual message was replaced with a different one. The OP quoted it.Ah, I see. I guess I got confused because he didn't actually quote it, just pasted it into his post.

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-15, 10:40 PM
Is he a cleric? I always thought he was some kind of hobgoblin general or something.

He could be a cleric who is also a general (or vice versa).

Or just the chief Cleric in the city besides Redcloak, kind of the high up in the civil administration as opposed to military - which would explain why Redcloak had him doing admin kind of things.

Mr. Scaly
2009-05-15, 11:04 PM
I always seem to get drawn to minor characters. The Oracle, Nameless Cleric, that hobgoblin priest who cast Dancing Lights, now Jirix. I can only hope he does better than the last hobgoblin priest. :smallbiggrin:

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-16, 01:19 AM

Its ok. He's standing behind the ninja

Querzis
2009-05-16, 10:20 AM
If the nameless Cleric of Loki (I though we had decided to name him Cole on the forum?) learned us anything, its that you can survive without a name if you're paranoid enough. Or if you can see the future in the Oracle case but I'm pretty sure we should consider the Oracle to be his name, not just his title.

Anyway, Jirix is probably the highest level hobgobelin in the whole army so I woudnt worry too much about him.