PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Living Statues

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-06, 02:49 PM
Here are my conversions of the Classic D&D Living Statues:

Crystal Statue
Medium Construct
HD: 3d10 (17hp)
Initiative: +6 (Dex + Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft (50ft multiple legs)
AC: 15 (+2 Dex, +3 natural)
BAB: +3
Attacks: 2 Slashes +3 melee
Damage: Slash 1d6
Face/Reach: 5x5'/5'
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 1/-, Construct immunities
Saves: F +3, R +3, W -4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Climate Terrain: Any
Organisation: Solitary, Pair, or Group 3-10
CR: 2
Treasure: see below
Alignment: Always Neutral

Crystal Living Statues are faceted or smoothly polished contructs, with no special ability. They are the fastest of the Living Statues.
When reduced to 0 hp, a Crystal Living Statue breaks into 1d20 chunks of crystal material, worth 1d20 gp each.

Stone Statue
Medium Construct
HD: 5d10 (28hp)
Initiative: -2 (Dex)
Speed: 15 ft (20ft multiple legs)
AC: 15 (-2 Dex, +7 natural)
BAB: +5
Attacks: 2 Slams +7 melee
Damage: Slam 2d6+2
Special Attacks: Lava jet +3 ranged touch 2d6 (5')
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 8/-, Construct immunities
Saves: F +5, R +0, W -3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 6, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
CR: 4
Treasure: nil

Lava Jet (Ex): Stone Living Statues are filled with hot magma under the crust of cool outer rock. They can jet this lava at opponents within 10 feet (5 foot range increment) as a ranged touch attack, for 2d6 fire damage.

Iron Statue
Medium Construct
HD: 4d10 (22 hp)
Initiative: 0
Speed: 5 ft (10ft multiple legs)
AC: 17 (+7 natural)
BAB: +4
Attacks: 2 Slams +6 melee
Damage: Slam 1d8+2
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/-, Construct immunities, Absorb metal weapons
Saves: F +4, R +2, W -2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
CR: 4
Treasure: nil

Absorb metal weapons (Ex): Any non-magical metallic weapon striking an Iron Living Statue may be absorbed into the Statue if the weilder of the weapon fails an opposed Str check. The weapon may be removed once the statue is killed.

EDIT: mistake corrected, BAB added.

chaiyo
2006-08-06, 03:52 PM
You seem to be using the 3.0 method of creature stat blocks. While the difference is negligable, it would be nice to see the Base Attack Bonus/Grapple entry. Just in case you didn't know, construct BAB is at 3/4 of its Hit Dice, like a cleric. I'm pretty sure you have it at full progression like a fighter's.

Also, if you're going to give Crystal Statue Improved Initiative, make a Feat entry and list it as a bonus feat, usually with a '(B)'.

Another thing is that you have a -2 dexterity penalty to initiative for Iron Statue, but it has a Dex of 10. I think the initiative is a mistake, considering that you don't have AC with a similar penalty.

Lastly for recommendations, please, please type out the names of the saves. You have no space constraints, and I'm pretty sure you don't have a time constraint.

Now, for my suggestions. Lava Jet should probably have a range increment of 10, considering that even thrown weapons have better range than the lava jet currently. Also, dice aren't normally listed in organization, just the number of monsters in the organizations. Thus, Group should be listed as '(3-10)', and if determined randomly, it's pretty much a sure thing that you're going to be rolling d10's.

That's all I can think of; hopefully other board members will come to simu-ninja me.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-06, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I used 3.0. *shrugs*

The BAB is a direct conversion from Classic D&D, based on how threatening this monster was. I deliberately didn't use the Construct BAB. Also, the range for the lava jet is low, because well... it's lava. I imagined squirting toothpaste as a ranged weapon, and I figured 10 feet would be about right.

EDIT: updated OP.

Tallis
2006-08-07, 12:12 AM
Mt OD&D books are in storage right now, so I can't remember if this was one of their powers, but couldn't hitting a stone statue break the crust and release some of the lava? Maybe have a 10% chance to take 1d6 fire damage when you do more than 5 points of damage to the statue?

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-07, 04:36 AM
That sounds familiar... but no, that wasn't listed in the powers in the Rules Cyclopedia (which I worked from to do these). Maybe it was in a particular module, or there was a variant..?