PDA

View Full Version : Probably a Stupid Cloister Question

One Skunk Todd
2009-05-15, 10:54 AM
Is there any chance that the Cloister spell was broken when V Epic Teleported through it?

ETA: The Comic, Forums and site in general seem to be humming along quite nicely now, new server activated?

Shinizak
2009-05-15, 11:20 AM
Not unless epic teleport has some sort of epic dispelling effect that we don't know about...

One Skunk Todd
2009-05-15, 11:46 AM
Out of curiosity then, how did the meteor swarm smash the grasping hand spell? That's kind of what I pictured happening to the cloister spell when V went through it. It's been years since I've actually played DnD and I don't remember how all the spell stuff works.

Kornaki
2009-05-15, 11:53 AM
Because in the spell description it specifically has hit points and is killable

One Skunk Todd
2009-05-15, 12:08 PM
Because in the spell description it specifically has hit points and is killable

Cool, thanks for the info. :)

Optimystik
2009-05-15, 05:06 PM
Is there any chance that the Cloister spell was broken when V Epic Teleported through it?

If breaching the abjuration ended it, then Eugene would have done so when he scryed a hole in it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html)

Volkov
2009-05-15, 05:35 PM
Flying a plane through turbulence and succeeding doesn't destroy the turbulence, it just means your plane was good enough to pass safely.

Lissou
2009-05-15, 06:02 PM

ETA: The Comic, Forums and site in general seem to be humming along quite nicely now, new server activated?

What does "ETA" stand for here? I only know it as "Estimated Time of Arrival", but that doesn't make sense in this sentence.

CaptainIreland
2009-05-15, 06:45 PM
What does "ETA" stand for here? I only know it as "Estimated Time of Arrival", but that doesn't make sense in this sentence.

"Edited to add."

David Argall
2009-05-15, 08:08 PM

The Cloister spell is and was broken from the start, as the comic that explained it said.

One Skunk Todd
2009-05-15, 09:15 PM
Flying a plane through turbulence and succeeding doesn't destroy the turbulence, it just means your plane was good enough to pass safely.

Quite true. I didn't know if it was like the plane/turbulence metaphor or more like say driving a tank through a concrete wall.

"Edited to add" is correct.

Good point Optimystik, I had forgotten about that.

liooil2000
2009-05-15, 09:15 PM
But if it wasn't broken, no wonder V couldn't teleport out without using epic spells.

Optimystik
2009-05-16, 08:46 AM
But if it wasn't broken, no wonder V couldn't teleport out without using epic spells.

We don't know if a non-epic teleport wouldn't have let him escape; he was interrupted before he could cast it.

Daefos
2009-05-16, 09:19 AM
We don't know if a non-epic teleport would have let him escape; he was interrupted before he could cast it.

According to Celia they can. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

Dagren
2009-05-16, 09:35 AM
According to Celia they can. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)Please note the first three words of your sentence. :smalltongue:
But yeah, I would have been a bit surprised if he couldn't escape. Especially since :xykon: felt the need to disrupt his spell, and I'd bet he knows the cloister at least as well as Celia.

Optimystik
2009-05-16, 09:41 AM
According to Celia they can. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

Thank you, so he definitely could have. I meant to write "wouldn't" in that post.

badam104172
2009-05-16, 07:12 PM
before V got blasted by :xykon: the cloister didnt matter, but now its going to be difficult for the rest of the party to find out about v. but, since the MitD was close to going good, i think it might play a part in getting V, Ochul and himself out.

Morgan Wick
2009-05-17, 08:23 PM

Wait until another new strip is posted... although did you write this around the time the new Erfworld went up?

before V got blasted by :xykon: the cloister didnt matter, but now its going to be difficult for the rest of the party to find out about v. but, since the MitD was close to going good, i think it might play a part in getting V, Ochul and himself out.

V stated his intention to attack Xykon. Celia, Haley, and Belkar know about Cloister. Roy knows about the Soul Splice if not the exact mechanism. The party knows V can't normally teleport. If V's not back by ten minutes after Roy comes back I think they can probably piece it together. V could be dead, but they know he could just be languishing there, or anywhere.