PDA

View Full Version : Two-bladed swords? Bah. [Weapon]

Maerok
2006-08-06, 11:14 PM
Foursword
---
Resembling an oversized shuriken, this monstrosity of a weapon boasts four blades around a circular hub with a handle. The foursword is less popular than its cousin, the two-bladed sword, for its rather gaudy nature. While holding the handle with both hands, the weapon can be spun quick enough to create a circular wall of blades, making it an effective offensive or defensive weapon. The user shifts it from left to right in a figure-eight pattern to maintain its momentum while advancing on enemies.

www.freewebs.com/midnightmurder/quad.PNG

Exotic Two-handed Weapon
2d10, x4, Slashing
200 gp
17 pounds

The foursword can be thrown as a full-round action, at a range increment of 15 feet.

A total defense action receives a +4 AC bonus versus ranged weapons. Anyone attacking the wielder with a melee attack during a total defense action must make a Reflex save equal to 10 + the wielder's BA or suffer an AoO from the wielder.

On every other full attack action, the wielder must make a DC 15 (with +1 DC for each previously passed check in that encounter) Fortitude save to resist becoming fatigued.

For the purpose of magical effects, each blade is treated as a seperate sword. For each strike made in a your attack (including TWF), roll a d4 for each one to determine which specific blade(s) hits. See the example for where this comes into play.

Example Magical Foursword:

Balance
---
This powerful foursword was forged to keep the balance of existence in check. It is an Anarchic, Axiomatic, Unholy, Holy foursword. Each blade carries a seperate enchantment.
Cost 128,500 gp, follow normal creation guildines (to enchant blades), creator must be True Neutral

Edited for suggestions.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 11:23 PM
Um.

The idea of wielding one of these hurts my brain.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-06, 11:30 PM
How is it two handed? It's awesome, but no one would use it.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-06, 11:53 PM
Heavily overpowered. In exchange for a feat, your average fighter gets an insane weapon with more damage then a greatsword and the crit range of a scythe.

And while I'm willing to make exceptions, I honestly can't see how you could possibly use that thing without hurting yourself.

I do applaud that you encourage the use of the full defense action, but you also make it much better then Combat Expertise with this weapon, since you can then make AoOs against enemies attacking you on occasion.

The fatigue is a minor balancing factor, but only at lower levels. At higher levels, the minor penalty won't slow down the user much, and there are a number of ways to prevent becoming fatigued at all.

I'm unclear on your explanation of how two-weapon fighting works with this weapon. Either it means that you have to make four attack rolls with an enchanted sword (if each blade is enchanted) to see if the enchantment on each blade lands, but the damage stays 2d10. I believe this is what you mean.

The alternative is that with the entire TWF tree, a level 20 fighter (20/15/10/5) makes four attacks at each multiplier and could potentially do 32d10 damage before enchantments and strength bonus.

I would suggest that you also flatly state that the design precludes this weapon being used one-handed at all. A small Foursword (2d8/x4) could be wielded one-handed by a half-giant or any other character with powerful build, or any character with enlarge made permenant on them (bringing them to large size.)

And the small foursword is *still* better then any of the core weapons.

Maerok
2006-08-07, 12:22 AM
Yeah, the first one about TWF is what I intended. But actually, this should be factored into the normal attack of the user. Which I will fix, with a few tweaks.

knightsaline
2006-08-07, 12:33 AM
the picture reminds me of a drawing i once did of knight from 8 bit theatre trying to make a sonic boom by spinning his swords in his hands

anyway, when i saw the name of the weapon, i thought that someone finally created the four sword from minish cap
making balance holy, unholy, axiomatic and anarchic would problably require the weilder to be true neutral

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-07, 12:38 AM
This reminds me of a Glaive from WoW...

Fax Celestis
2006-08-07, 12:38 AM
anyway, when i saw the name of the weapon, i thought that someone finally created the four sword from minish cap
making balance holy, unholy, axiomatic and anarchic would problably require the weilder to be true neutral
MM-IV has the Concordant Killer, which does just that.