PDA

View Full Version : [Spell] Nine Assorted (Exciting!) Spells

Peregrine
2006-08-06, 05:02 AM
Reposted from aaaages back, when they slipped without comment into the nether reaches of the board...

Edit: Well I called this thread "Sundry Spells for a Slow Sunday", but it looks like it's a really slow Sunday for spells, because they've only gotten five views and no comments! I don't want this lot to passed unremarked for the third (for some, second for a few) time in their unhappy lives... :'(

I think I need a peppier thread title.

Nicola's Everyday Enchantments
It wasn't always easy being married to an enchantress. It was quite scary sometimes, knowing what she could do to your mind, and he was quite sure he didn't even know the half of it. It bothered him whenever she'd use magic to quiet the baby, but could you tell her that? No, not a chance... in fact it was hard to have an argument with her at all, because somehow he'd never manage to follow a thought from beginning to end, always losing concentration along the way.

At least she'd made sure he never forgot their anniversary. Or her birthday. Or last week's shopping list, for that matter...

Contentment
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1d4 rounds
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

A contentment spell causes a feeling of wellbeing to come over a single creature of 1 HD or less. The subject ceases to be agitated or distressed and will react calmly to anything or anyone around it. If the creature fails its will save, it is also fascinated.

Any cause of distress or agitation continues to affect the target once the spell ends. In particular, while this spell can suppress a barbarian's rage ability, any time spent under the spell's effects do not count against the rage duration, and the subject is not fatigued while the rage is suppressed. Also, it does not affect morale bonuses from spells such as bless or good hope. It otherwise functions as the spell calm emotions.

Hush
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Casting time: 1 standard action
Target: One intelligent creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You make a short, sharp gesture and a shushing noise that interrupts and distracts the target.

If the target fails its will save, any normal verbal communication it was making ceases momentarily. If the target was concentrating at the time (including making a vocal Perform check or casting a spell with a verbal component), it may make a Concentration check to ignore the distraction.

Mnemonic
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell imprints the subject's memory with any words you say during the round spent casting the spell. The memory is the subject's own and is not subject to dispelling, but can be forgotten like any long-term memory.

Memorising spoken words in this way does not impart any information or understanding to the subject. In particular, if the subject does not understand what is said, they merely recall the caster's words as sounds of no particular meaning. The subject must understand and think on the words to gain any meaning or insight from them, just as if they were reading the words from a book.

Material Component
A knotted piece of string.

Kehdin's Divinatory Aids
Kehdin the metallurgist had a secret. Not just the ordinary secrets of dwarven metalcraft, either; Kehdin was a wizard. He'd studied magic years ago under a human who crafted and enchanted fine swords, and now he was probably the only wizard in his homeland. He knew it wouldn't be a welcome discovery, and so he worked hard to keep it secret; but all the divinations he'd learnt on the surface were next to useless in a place where everything was built of thick stone and solid metal.

But Kehdin was, after all, an expert with materials, and so he found ways around these barriers. And so, when it happened one day that a certain paladin, after buying a magic sword from Kehdin, thought to ask around at all the local temples to see which one had performed the enchantments, Kehdin was gone as soon as they figured out his secret.

Magic Window
Divination
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Effect: Transparent portal, up to 3 feet across, through a barrier
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You create a portal through a nonmagical barrier, through which you can see and hear clearly. The portal only works in one direction. The barrier must be no thicker than 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, or 3 feet of wood or dirt; however, multiple castings can extend the depth of the magic window. The spell is blocked entirely by a thin sheet of lead.

Material Component
A vial of oils worth at least 10gp, spread on the barrier.

Monitor Secret
Divination
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: See text
Area: Radius (400 ft. + 40 ft./level) emanating from focus
Duration: 1 day/level (D)

You designate one piece of information known to you. You are alerted any time this knowledge is communicated within the radius of effect around the focus. The knowledge must be communicated openly (such as in speech or writing, but not by telepathy), but it may be in any language. It does not matter whether it is a betrayed secret or correct speculation. You and up to one creature per caster level (designated at casting time) may communicate the secret without triggering the spell.

The focus crumbles to dust when the secret is revealed. You gain no particular knowledge of where or by whom the knowledge was imparted. Any place within the spell's area that is completely enclosed by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt is protected against monitoring by this spell.

Focus
A stone cube, no smaller than one inch to an edge.

Penetrate Lead
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Target: One barrier
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

You cause a nonmagical barrier normally impervious to divination spells to be temporarily transparent to such effects. The normal target is a thin sheet of lead, but the spell can also affect up to 3 feet of wood or dirt, 1 foot of stone, or 1 inch of common metal. Thicker barriers, or barriers made of multiple materials, can be overcome by further penetrate lead spells. For this purpose, two spells will penetrate up to an inch of lead.

Material Component
A small piece of gold, beaten to translucent thinness.

Kehdin's Retreat in Exile
So what if he'd been driven out of his home three steps ahead of an angry mob, just for being a wizard? If he hadn't been a wizard, Kehdin the metallurgist wouldn't have been three steps ahead of the mob, would he?

Monitor Passage
Divination (Scrying)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: Magical sensor
Duration: 1 day/level (D)

Monitor passage sets a magical sensor to watch over an area. The sensor faces in one direction, 'seeing' five feet to the sides and up to 60 ft. ahead. Any creature of Tiny size or larger, except ethereal or astral creatures, will trigger the sensor if it moves through the monitored area. The sensor cannot be moved or turned, and its detection is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

When the sensor is triggered, the focus of the spell glows red. The caster can look through the focus and see the area monitored by the sensor. Unlike most scrying spells, this spell does not allow magically or supernaturally enhanced senses to work through it. If the area is magically dark, the caster sees nothing (but the sensor will still detect creatures). If the area is naturally dark, the caster can see as if the area was lit (in red light) by a torch at the sensor's location.

Monitor passage can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Focus
A cube, no smaller than one inch to an edge, of glass or crystal.

Blend with Mob
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)

Drawing on the appearances and actions of those nearby, you make yourself look like you belong there. Your appearance becomes similar to those around you (within limits, as per disguise self); if there is more than one type of creature nearby, you may choose which to imitate. You can only imitate creatures that you are aware of (generally those you can see), and you do not imitate a particular creature: you get a +10 bonus to a Disguise check made to look like someone other than yourself.

Furthermore, if there are at least three nearby creatures who are acting with a particular purpose (such as expressing hostile intentions towards a particular target), blend with mob allows you to appear to act like them as well. You do not read their minds with this spell; they must be open about the intention you attempt to imitate. You get a +10 bonus to Bluff checks made to convince others that you are there to aid their purpose.

Material component
A small piece of chalk or soft clay.

Kehdin's Instant Interior Decorator
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 minute; see text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Effect: Five or more shadow objects
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)

You create a number of objects, of Diminutive size or smaller, up to 2d6 + your caster level. If they are shadow duplicates of objects you are very familiar with, you can create them all within 1 minute; otherwise, each unfamiliar (or wholly imagined) object takes 1 minute to craft from shadowstuff. Detailed imitations may require an appropriate Craft check. The objects all appear within the radius of the spell, but once completed, they will persist even in your absence.

chaiyo
2006-08-06, 01:20 PM
BWAHAHAHA! I'm here to take away your pity card.

Ahem. To the EACHing...

Contentment looks balanced and functional enough. I'd probably make it an orison for druids or even clerics. If the HD limit was just one HD higher, I would tell you to reduce the duration to 1d3 rounds.

Hush should have a duration to define what "momentarily" is. I'd recommend just one round, or even less. However, since it's not a cantrip, it might be even more than a round.

Mnemonic seems fine.

The Divinatory Aids are very good ideas and are executed well to my knowledge, but you may want to reduce the casting time of Monitor Secret to just one minute. It seems appropriate with the range and duration limits.

Seeing as Monitor Passage could probably be cast on other planes, including the ethereal or astral planes, or any others without magic restrictions, you should reword the planar limitations to restrict the spell to the plane of origin. Or something less confusing.

Blend with Mob seems to remind me of Banality (http://www.giantitp.com/Func0024.html). I don't know why, it just does.

For my next low-level campaign, I'm going to have a crooked interior decorator use Kehdin's Instant Interior Decorator to avoid materials costs and rip off the customer after about six hours time.

Peregrine
2006-08-06, 03:57 PM
BWAHAHAHA! I'm here to take away your pity card.
Most welcome to it. ;D

Hush should have a duration to define what "momentarily" is. I'd recommend just one round, or even less. However, since it's not a cantrip, it might be even more than a round.
"Momentarily" is just that, a mere moment... too short to measure in game time, but long enough that it'll mess up your rhythm.

The Divinatory Aids are very good ideas and are executed well to my knowledge, but you may want to reduce the casting time of Monitor Secret to just one minute. It seems appropriate with the range and duration limits.
Why thankyou. :) I'm not sure what you mean about the duration... ten minutes casting for a week or more of monitoring seems all right to me. The range is a quarter-mile across, so not too huge, but...

Seeing as Monitor Passage could probably be cast on other planes, including the ethereal or astral planes, or any others without magic restrictions, you should reword the planar limitations to restrict the spell to the plane of origin. Or something less confusing.
Taken under advisement.

Blend with Mob seems to remind me of Banality (http://www.giantitp.com/Func0024.html). I don't know why, it just does.
Different mechanics, sort of similar effect.

For my next low-level campaign, I'm going to have a crooked interior decorator use Kehdin's Instant Interior Decorator to avoid materials costs and rip off the customer after about six hours time.
Sounds like fun. Especially if you use the other spells to cover your retreat...

Thanks chaiyo!

Winged One
2006-08-06, 04:28 PM
I like Monitor Secret, but that's probably because I like to play paranoid sorcerers.

Fizban
2006-08-06, 08:07 PM
Nice spells, I too like the idea of monitor secret for the paranoid sorcerer types.