PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Mailer Daemons

The Demented One
2006-08-06, 04:57 PM
Nuntiloth
Size/Type: Small Outsider (Extraplanar, Evil, Yugoloth)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (24 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft., fly 10 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +2 natural), touch 15, flatfooted 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-1
Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d4-1) and 2 claws +3 melee (1d3-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, summon yugoloth
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immune to poison and acid, resistance to cold 5, electricity 5, and fire 5, telepathy 100 ft., unhindered movement, marks of asylum
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +6
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Hide +15, Knowledge (The Planes) +7, Listen +8, Move Silently +11, Sense Motive +8, Spot +8
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Small), 9-12 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +4

Nuntiloths, also known as mailer daemons, are the messengers of the planes. Though they cannot be trusted to not read what messages they are given to deliver, nor betray any who they promise loyalty to, a Nuntiloth would sooner be wiped from existence than fail to deliver a message. Nuntiloths are small, batlike yugoloths, with smug grins. Most are covered in glowing, protective tattoos, which give light as candles.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–sending. 1/day–greater teleport, plane shift. Caster level 4th.

Summon Yugoloth (Sp)
Once per day, a Nuntiloth may attempt to summon a single Canoloth, with a 20% chance of success.

Unhindered Movement (Su)
A Nuntiloth enjoys the benefits of a constant freedom of movement effect, caster level 4th.

Marks of Asylum (Su)
Most Nuntiloths have been tattooed with glowing runes signifying peace. Each time a creature attempts to attack such a Nuntiloth, it must make a DC 15 Will save in order to be able to attack. However, a Nuntiloth bearing marks of asylum must make a DC 15 Will save each time it wishes to attack or be unable to. Both saves are Charisma based and include a +2 racial bonus. About 10% of all Nuntiloths do not bear marks of asylum.

Prices
The services of a Nuntiloth do not come cheap. Hiring a Nuntiloth to deliver a message by sending usually costs 250 gp. Hiring a Nuntiloth to physically carry a message or package to a recipient costs 10 gp per mile traveled, with an additional 1,000 gp charge for every time the Nuntiloth must plane shift. Nuntiloths always require payment be up front.

Inks of Asylum
These potent magical items are prized by those Nuntiloths with marks of asylum scribed on their skin. Each dose of the inks of asylum provides enough to cover a single Nuntiloth of small or medium size, and applying the inks takes 10 minutes. If a Nuntiloth scribes over his marks of asylum with these inks, both DCs of his marks increase by 4 for 24 hours.

Faint Abjuration, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, creator must be a yugoloth. Cost 5,00 gp + 40 xp. Price 1,000 gp.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 05:37 PM
Mailer...daemon...

...let me guess: you got the idea when you got an email bounceback?

Beyond that, the DC 13 seems a bit low. I'd make it 17 or higher. I mean, it's a CR 2, certainly, but killing the messenger shouldn't be easy.

The Demented One
2006-08-06, 05:41 PM
Mailer...daemon...

...let me guess: you got the idea when you got an email bounceback?

Beyond that, the DC 13 seems a bit low. I'd make it 17 or higher. I mean, it's a CR 2, certainly, but killing the messenger shouldn't be easy.
I don't know, that seems awful high for something that lowly. That ability's meant to protect them from minor harms, not most everything they run into. Tell you what, I'll give them a racial bonus and make some sort of item they can use to boost the DC.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 05:42 PM
I don't know, that seems awful high for something that lowly. That ability's meant to protect them from minor harms, not most everything they run into. Tell you what, I'll give them a racial bonus and make some sort of item they can use to boost the DC.
There's always the Ability Focus feat too. Could give that as a racial bonus feat.