PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Creating New Spell

3Power
2009-05-16, 10:40 AM
I'm running a 3.5 campaign, and one of my players has expressed interest in creating his own spells. The one he suggested to me today is Lesser Acidic Illusion, a 1st level spell that creates an illusion of a small object, only to burn someone with acidic damage when touched.

So far I've got:

Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]/ Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium?
Effect: created object shaped from acid, disguised as normal object of type
Duration: hour/level?
Saving Throw: Will to disbelief? Reflex for half?
Spell Resistance: No
Damage: 1d4 + 1/level acid damage for every round object is touched/held? Max level 15?

Is this balanced? If not, help me balance it please~

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, it's a dual-school spell, like those from PHII

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-16, 10:45 AM
Change the school to Illusion (Shadow). It's not a conjuration disguised by an illusion, it's an actual illusion that just happens to be real enough to actually do damage. Dual school spells are silly and should never have been invented.

A will save to realise it's a (Shadow) spell would work. A Reflex save for half damage after touching it might also work fine.

The damage looks fine for a first-level spell, as long as the target can let go of it as soon as possible.

You'll want to define what sort of object the spell can create. A floor would be far too powerful, for instance.

Malacode
2009-05-16, 10:51 AM
Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me. It also makes the spell a bit weaker too, as they get a save to ignore its effects, then a save to lessen its effects. If they had a 50% chance of taking full damage, it's now only 25%. Damage seems a bit low, as it relies on the creature taking initiative and picking up the object, rather than automatic damage, no attack roll, no save, like Magic Missile

You might want to specify how much space the created item can take up, as otherwise you'll end up with a continent-spannning wall made out of illusory acid. I agree with Yuki about the school, as well. Apart from that, it looks fine.

Jack_Simth
2009-05-16, 10:58 AM
Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me.
You're touching it with the palm of your fingers or the palm of your hand prior to getting a full grip. Reflex save denotes noticing the start of the burn prior to getting a full grip on it.

3Power
2009-05-16, 11:13 AM
Change the school to Illusion (Shadow). It's not a conjuration disguised by an illusion, it's an actual illusion that just happens to be real enough to actually do damage.
Nope, he wants it to be actual acid. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You'll want to define what sort of object the spell can create. A floor would be far too powerful, for instance. He personally specified nothing larger than a cubic foot.

You're touching it with the palm of your fingers or the palm of your hand prior to getting a full grip. Reflex save denotes noticing the start of the burn prior to getting a full grip on it.My thoughts exactly.

Will disbelief I can understand, but reflex half? I mean, you're going to drop it the round after you pick it up, so a reflex save in the first round doesn't make much sense to me. It also makes the spell a bit weaker too, as they get a save to ignore its effects, then a save to lessen its effects. If they had a 50% chance of taking full damage, it's now only 25%. Damage seems a bit low, as it relies on the creature taking initiative and picking up the object, rather than automatic damage, no attack roll, no save, like Magic Missile So maybe an increase of damage to make up for the two saves, say to 2d4?

JoshuaZ
2009-05-16, 11:55 AM
I'm running a 3.5 campaign, and one of my players has expressed interest in creating his own spells. The one he suggested to me today is Lesser Acidic Illusion, a 1st level spell that creates an illusion of a small object, only to burn someone with acidic damage when touched.

So far I've got:

Is this balanced? If not, help me balance it please~

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, it's a dual-school spell, like those from PHII

Dual school is fine as long as you know the rules for it. They can do confusing stuff. I would make duration 1 minute/level and the save be reflex for half. I think you could safely up the damage to 1d6 rather than 1d4 since you need to actively trick someone into picking it up.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-17, 06:24 AM
Dual school spells are still silly. Especially in cases like this where there are already subschools that do this sort of thing.

Rapidwhirl
2009-05-17, 09:05 PM
Dual school spells are still silly. Especially in cases like this where there are already subschools that do this sort of thing.I'll try not to take that personally. Just wait until you see what I have planned for GREATER Acidic Illusion.:biggrin:

Garian
2009-05-17, 09:26 PM
tThe main thing I would change is max +1 damage to 5 or 10. Not 15, this is a level one spell.

Yuki Akuma
2009-05-17, 09:26 PM
I'll try not to take that personally. Just wait until you see what I have planned for GREATER Acidic Illusion.:biggrin:

You should take it personally.

afroakuma
2009-05-17, 09:29 PM
tThe main thing I would change is max +1 damage to 5 or 10. Not 15, this is a level one spell.

The main thing I would change is to drag this thread to Homebrew, where it belongs. :smallamused:

Come, dark tendrils of the Homebrew board! Seize this fledgling spell and take it into the nightmare realm! Yeah, PM'd a mod.

Rapidwhirl
2009-05-17, 10:01 PM
You should take it personally. Nah, I insist on your right to your opinion. This spell is kinda silly. How many times will this honestly be useful? Couple that with how likely it is I'll prepare it for that day, and you have a generally worthless, yet funny parlor trick.

Now, if the caster could decide when it starts dealing damage, then it would be way better. However, good things like that need extra limitations, and probably a higher spell level... Or a new metamagic feat that delays aspects of a spell.

Quietus
2009-05-17, 10:13 PM
Why make it an illusion?

Conjuration : Create the item. Limit it to max +5 damage, as is standard for a first-level spell.

Just add "Duration : 1hour/level until picked up, then persists until dropped, to a maximum of one round/level".

Stormageddon
2009-05-17, 10:30 PM

I agree a cap would be more balanced.