PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Exalted Charms

Jeivar
2009-05-16, 12:52 PM
I only have the second edition corebook, which is very vague about Charms for anyone but the Solars. Can someone give me examples of Charms for Terrestrials and Abyssals? I don't need the entire list, just what they might use for combat, transportation, or calling for help. Basically, what they would resort to when confronted with a bunch of angry Solars. :smalleek:

And I'll naturally need to know the Essence cost for each charm.

Thanks in advance.

Tengu_temp
2009-05-16, 01:20 PM
I think you should check Storyteller's Companion, as it has what you need and much more. Running an Exalted game without it is almost an equivalent of running a DND game without the DM's Guide.

Artanis
2009-05-16, 01:33 PM
I only have the second edition corebook, which is very vague about Charms for anyone but the Solars. Can someone give me examples of Charms for Terrestrials and Abyssals? I don't need the entire list, just what they might use for combat, transportation, or calling for help. Basically, what they would resort to when confronted with a bunch of angry Solars. :smalleek:

And I'll naturally need to know the Essence cost for each charm.

Thanks in advance.

For Abyssals you can just take Solar charms and give them evil-sounding names. It's not a perfect solution, mind you, but it's a decent enough stopgap.

Dark_Scary
2009-05-16, 04:25 PM
If you really want to know, that's where you buy the other books.

Sidereals don't really have charms as much, the mostly rely on martial arts, but they have crazy awesome martial arts.

Lunars have charms of various types, and they also have Knacks, which have to do with shapeshifting.

I don't know Terrestrial well enough. And Abyssal you can do what was said above, though they again have their own charms in different books.

Jeivar
2009-05-25, 04:37 PM
I think you should check Storyteller's Companion, as it has what you need and much more. Running an Exalted game without it is almost an equivalent of running a DND game without the DM's Guide.

Does the Storyteller's Companion have the other Exalted Charms, and info on the First-Age supertech? Because I live outside the States and will need to special order any Exalted books. I'd like to know what I'm getting beforehand.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-25, 04:51 PM
.pdfs. You get them in like half an hour.

Information on the First Age artifacts can be found in Wonders of the Lost Age.

Blackjackg
2009-05-25, 04:58 PM
Sidereals don't really have charms as much, the mostly rely on martial arts, but they have crazy awesome martial arts.

Oh Sidereals have charms. They're just kinda 'niche,' and mostly really weird. Difficult to sum up. And yeah, they do mostly rely on martial arts.

There really isn't much I can say about general rules for charms, beyond the excellencies so... I'll tell you the general rules for excellencies. Abyssal excellencies are pretty much the same as Solar. Done. Sidereal excellencies are similar, but they can't add more dice or successes than the Sid's permanent essence score (so 2nd ex is usually a better investment). Lunar excellencies add dice to attributes instead of abilities (so you don't need both a MA and a Dodge excellency, just a Dex excellency) but otherwise work the same as Solar. Dragon-Blooded excellencies work the same as Solar, except you get two dice (or two successes) for the price of one. Still the same caps on max dice though.

You should be able to fake your way through a few sessions with just that and what's in the Core book, but if you're looking long term, you're going to want at least the Storyteller's guide. Better yet, the actual books. Good luck.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-25, 05:11 PM
Dragon-Blooded excellencies work the same as Solar, except you get two dice (or two successes) for the price of one. Still the same caps on max dice though.

Worse. Solars have a max dice cap of Attribute + Ability + Specialties. Dragon-blooded have a max dice cap of Ability + Specialties.

Blackjackg
2009-05-25, 05:14 PM
Oops, my mistake. Good catch.

The Rose Dragon
2009-05-25, 05:17 PM
Of course, the best thing about the Dragon-blooded is the Reflexive charms being usable at any time, and the Cooperative charms.

If a Five Man Band of Dragon-blooded get together, they can create a large area to be bombarded by poison winds carrying acid which is on fire and causes trembles in the earth. That seriously happens.

The_Snark
2009-05-25, 05:19 PM
Worse. Solars have a max dice cap of Attribute + Ability + Specialties. Dragon-blooded have a max dice cap of Ability + Specialties.

Just Ability+Attribute for Solars, actually. Only Dragon-blooded get to use specialties. It evens it out a little bit, although the Solars are definitely still ahead with the Excellencies.