PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Play Guild Wars?

Eon
2009-05-16, 01:35 PM
Hey this is my first thread and so if i messed up anywhere please post me it. :smalleek:

anyway... as the titles says, I wish to know if anyone plays Guild Wars on this website.

so do you?
if so... what is your favorite class/build/style of play

Shades of Gray
2009-05-16, 01:40 PM
I used to play. Haven't played in ages. Good times, good times.

I had a tendency to never finish any of the campaigns. I recall that I got to the last mission in the jungle in prophecies, kuunavang in factions, and the last mission in Vabbi for Nightfall.

I also remember in Eye of the North that I had already done the human and the tall bear norse people (forget their name... Norns?) missions, and I had just started the cute little big eared folks' (asura?)

Eon
2009-05-16, 01:46 PM
I just got back into playing after a couple months... i never got very far in campaign but I am getting pretty far on a Dervish/Paragon

Maxymiuk
2009-05-16, 02:02 PM
I picked it up recently after a year-long break, but I can't find the energy to get back into it properly. PvE is boring and all my PvP builds are hopelessly obsolete.

Eon
2009-05-16, 02:08 PM
i agree pve gets boring sometimes but you can just look up new builds or make your own like me.
Trapping is always fun (especially when there is 4 trappers...)
and a Lyssa dervish is always good for grinding the first zaishen challenge (points at obsidian elementalists)

If you unlock elite it is easier to get groups and you get a higher cap

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-16, 02:25 PM
I used to play with a small, but highly effective, guild. My favorite builds were a lockdown Mesmer (just say "no" to... -well, everything), spike heal Monk (I get to act as a Socratic "enlightened tyrant"), and battery/status heal Necro (I love being able to maximise the efficiency of my groups). However, in the time since I stopped playing, I've learned that all three roles can be better filled by filling one's three npc slots. Still, being able to solo the final 3 instances with a Mes/Mo is a pretty cool feeling. I mean, sure, an As/Ele or Ele/As can (or could, if the skills have not been altered) do the same thing, but the former requires focus and practiced skill whereas the latter depends upon the a broken set of abilities.

Eon
2009-05-16, 02:28 PM
can you type in the builds for those?
I would like to see what those classes do.

Dogmantra
2009-05-16, 02:37 PM
I can't stand playing with pre-made builds.
I have to make them myself.

So my most successful build is my Me/Rt interrupt (power spike, cry of frustration, power drain, tease (for groups)/power block (for single spellcasters), empathy, backfire, ether feast, death pact signet), since I've been working on it for the longest.

I have level 20:
Mesmer (main, prestige armour, slim specs :smallwink:, done EotN, Prophecies, Some of Nightfall, Up to Kurzick of Factions)
Ritualist (completed factions, and bloody fun when I'm in the mood)
Paragon (not very far in any campaign... but also fun)

Also: A level 18 Moebius strike/Death blossom assassin, and a lvl 6 axe warrior.

Other characters have come and gone, but those are the ones that stuck.

Eon
2009-05-16, 02:40 PM
cool, do you do pvp or pve

Ichneumon
2009-05-16, 02:51 PM
I've played it for a year or two, yet it became tiresome and don't play it now anymore. I have all the expansions though.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-16, 02:52 PM
I'll look them up for ya bandil. All three are great team builds if you like playing support characters.

Anonomuss
2009-05-16, 03:07 PM
I've a:
-Lvl 20 Dervish, based on the Avatar of Balthazar.
-Lvl 20 Elementalist/Mesmer, based around the Echo Nuker build.
-Lvl 17 Assassin.

I also have a guild of my own (I.e. I'm the only current member) called Terminal Velocity [MPH]

I was thinking of getting back into it over the summer, as I dropped it over the last year and a bit because of college and the exams that got me into college.

Eon
2009-05-16, 03:11 PM
cool thanks Hadrian. I play most types of characters. And if anyone else wants to share their builds, please do

InaVegt
2009-05-16, 03:37 PM
I picked it up, played for a few hours, decided it was boring, never looked at it again.

Eon
2009-05-16, 03:44 PM
... what campaign did you start with?
Prophecies: slow but it teaches you how to play well.
Factions: fast leveling but gets a little slower around levels 14-15.
Nightfall: Great storyline, earn money fast (up to 2 platinum by level 9)

That's my opionion and you may think different...

Dragannia
2009-05-16, 04:49 PM
I used to play, but PvP only. I guilded with a bunch of RL friends and for a while, it was great, but then our friendship sorta fell apart and Guild Wars went down the drain. We resurrected our GvG battles once but we were hopelessly outdated and got stomped, though our enemies usually gave credit in that we were better than our rank suggested. I was the guild Mesmer, shooting purply stuff away, and I really must say I enjoyed it even though our ping (400 or so from Australia) meant that I couldn't reliably interrupt 1 second cast times. I also used to play Blinding Surge elementalist when that was still popular, and I occasionally played the runner. I also pugged for a while for loads of other guilds when our guild was on hiatus.

Nameless
2009-05-16, 05:12 PM
I play, I also have the Nightfall expansion pack.
Though I haven't played it in a while...
Can't wait for Guild Wars II Though. :smallsmile:

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-05-16, 06:12 PM
I started by playtesting beta, you know, back when people wore mantles instead of capes? Ever wonder how the "White Mantle" got the name?

Dogmantra
2009-05-16, 06:25 PM
cool, do you do pvp or pve

PvE mostly, I can't stand the PvP metagame... I have a friend that I got into GW who plays Elementalist, and gets all his builds off PvXwiki... then denies that he got them off there :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2009-05-16, 06:25 PM
I play, mostly with an E/Me and N/Mo in Prophecies and an A/W in Factions.

Eon
2009-05-16, 09:05 PM
how does an assasin/warrior work out?

(edit: forgot the n in an...:smalleek:)

Flickerdart
2009-05-16, 09:09 PM
how does an assasin/warrior work out?

(edit: forgot the n in an...:smalleek:)
Not too bad, you can get some great spike builds by abusing some synergies. They also get great speed improvement skills, so A/W makes a good runner.

Eon
2009-05-16, 09:13 PM
what synergies get abused? :belkar:

Flickerdart
2009-05-16, 09:20 PM
It's mostly stacking a few skills to attack very, very fast. Not sure if it's been nerfed, haven't played in a while. The relevant builds can be found here:
http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Category:All_working_PvP_builds

In fact, most PvP Assassin builds are Warrior secondaries.

Eon
2009-05-16, 09:24 PM
I have been doing a lot of pvp lately just for the addictivness of wiping out that whole team of warriors and elder wolfs with a pile of ranger traps. Do you know how much spamming messages pop up when 10-12 enemies walk on a huge pile of traps. it went from 1 side of the screen to another. the only thing i said after this happened was: "boom lol".

Toastkart
2009-05-17, 07:44 AM
I play, pve only, and I've got all campaigns, and a slew of characters that I haven't finished most campaigns with.

My main three that I play, though are an Avatar of Grenth Dervish, a Blood/Curses Necromancer, an assassin. I also have an elementalist, warrior, and ranger, but I don't play them as much.

Eon
2009-05-17, 09:16 AM
I have them all too and I haven't finished any campaigns either =/
PvP can be relaxing... sometimes

AgentPaper
2009-05-17, 10:24 AM
Played it for a bit, but seeing as how PvE is mostly worthless the PvP wasn't to my tastes, I didn't play it much afterwards. I mostly got it because I was hoping that the game would really have delivered on the "guild wars" part. As in, each guild has it's own stronghold and territory, or some such. Ah well.

Also, is the voice acting still as hilariously terrible? (in a so bad it's terrible, then funny, then terrible again, way)

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 10:26 AM
Also, is the voice acting still as hilariously terrible? (in a so bad it's terrible, then funny, then terrible again, way)

It's a little better in the new campaigns... The dude who plays Brain in Pinky and the Brain has voices Vekk in EotN, I believe.

Eon
2009-05-17, 10:32 AM
oh. I never went to the EoTN... I think my R/N had the option but i said no then but i haven't seen the option again...

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 10:41 AM
oh. I never went to the EoTN... I think my R/N had the option but i said no then but i haven't seen the option again...
It's brilliant. It's like Prophecies (and therefore like Guild Wars should be).

Go to Len Caldoron in Lion's Arch, Minister of Maintenance Raiugyon in Kaineng Center or Bendah in Kamadan to get the quest to go there.

Eon
2009-05-17, 11:05 AM
what level should i be for it?

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 11:29 AM
what level should i be for it?

20. It's not hard to get there.

Maxymiuk
2009-05-17, 11:33 AM
EotN requires a level 20 character to access.

Not dying horribly the moment you step outside a town there, requires a level 20 character with a very solid build and, preferably, heroes along for the ride. The expantion was made in large part to extend the endgame for people who spent the two years prior repeatedly raiding FoW and the Underworld. The entire campaign has a very No Mercy approach, even to experienced players.

Eon
2009-05-17, 01:25 PM
yeah... my guy got the message at level 15 where he still is...

Crispy Dave
2009-05-17, 01:28 PM
Hey this is my first thread and so if i messed up anywhere please post me it. :smalleek:

anyway... as the titles says, I wish to know if anyone plays Guild Wars on this website.

so do you?
if so... what is your favorite class/build/style of play

I I've been playing gvg and general pvp. I play just about anything.

Eon
2009-05-17, 02:18 PM
Today I just found a very fun thing for pvp. I made a mesmer/necromancer and have a spellbar just filled with fun -X degenerations. (including a -8 health degen)

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 03:07 PM
Today I just found a very fun thing for pvp. I made a mesmer/necromancer and have a spellbar just filled with fun -X degenerations. (including a -8 health degen)

I win for the most fun PvP build. :smallwink:

Signet of Illusions, Arcane thievery, Arcane Larcency, and any others.

Pump Illusion, steal Elementalists' spells and use them against them, possibly more potent.

SO MUCH FUN

Eon
2009-05-17, 03:10 PM
I think you should put Create Nightmare in it.
at max curses for 18 seconds? a -8 health degeneration no cd

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 03:16 PM
Well, I actually go Me/E, shove whirlwind in there (to knockdown annoying Assassins/Warriors that attack me), plus drain enchantment, ether feast, ether signet and a res.

Eon
2009-05-17, 05:14 PM
What secondary classes do you heroes usually have? :roach:

Dogmantra
2009-05-18, 01:28 AM
For my main mesmer, I normally go Me/Rt, because I have fallen in love with Death Pact Signet, and Lively was Naomei.

Toastkart
2009-05-18, 05:38 AM
I usually run with a hybrid prot/heal monk/me (for channeling), a minion master n/rt, but any other heroes that I bring it usually doesn't matter. If its a caster, I usually make them /monk so I can bring a hard res disabled until I need it for emergencies.

Hunter Noventa
2009-05-21, 02:14 PM
EotN requires a level 20 character to access.

Not dying horribly the moment you step outside a town there, requires a level 20 character with a very solid build and, preferably, heroes along for the ride. The expantion was made in large part to extend the endgame for people who spent the two years prior repeatedly raiding FoW and the Underworld. The entire campaign has a very No Mercy approach, even to experienced players.

Really? I didn't find it that hard, I was able to solo about 75% of EotN with non-optimized heroes. There were really only two parts I had huge trouble with, neither of which was even the final boss. Granted I had Pain Inverter for the end boss, which is one of the most broken skills in the game.

Anyway, I've been playing quite a bit lately, if anyone wants to hit me up my characters are as follows-
Aelia Drakon 20 W/Mo, Prophecies
Yui Valeth 20 N/Me, Prophecies
Sierra Tsume 18? D/E, Nightfall
Miang Weissritter 17 E/Mo, Factions
Ayda Saeron 20 R/A, Factions.

Maxymiuk
2009-05-21, 02:55 PM
Really? I didn't find it that hard, I was able to solo about 75% of EotN with non-optimized heroes. There were really only two parts I had huge trouble with, neither of which was even the final boss. Granted I had Pain Inverter for the end boss, which is one of the most broken skills in the game.

I admit, I may be looking at this through the prism of the first character I took into EotN, which was a monk primary. I had the choice of either trying to find a group running a given mission, or putting up with losing half the team's healing power when getting stuck with X Blessing. Plus, I always maintained that monks got the short end of the stick in that expansion - lackluster new skills and very poor synergy with new faction skills.

Still, if anyone needs a dedicated monk or mesmer to help out somewhere, I'm occasionally online as Gerard Shale or Meira Vox (I have access to the majority of all campaigns between the two of them).

Zukhramm
2009-05-23, 02:12 PM
One problem I had with GW was that the difficulty felt very uneven. I'd be able to plow through some things, then run into something almost impossible, and after that be able to pass things easily.

Another thing was that I was never good at making builds, and using ones made by other people is no fun.

Arcane Hoplite
2009-05-23, 03:46 PM
I've got all the campaigns and the bonus pack, but I've pretty much abandoned the game now, there's nothing interesting in it anymore, and I don't feel like farming to get the obsidian armor. Btw, I have a level 20 Warrior/Monk and a level 20 Paragon/Warrior.

Flickerdart
2009-05-23, 05:30 PM
Man, I remember when I took my N/Rt MM into Nighfall and specced the Explosive Minions build, where you spam Animate Bone Minions as you can, give them Death Nova and then activate Signet of Creation. The nigh-invincible minions rush your enemies, explode in 30 seconds and leave an entire new volley of corpses for you to reanimate again.

CrimsonAngel
2009-05-23, 07:53 PM
Yay, a guild wars thread. What's a good second proffesion for an elementalist? I've got a ranger-elementalist lvl 20 (prophecies) Asuran longbow and shing jea armor with 70armor, a dervish-monk lvl 20 (Nightfall) Lightning vengeance suntouched scythe and Elite sunspear armor 70 armor, Elementalist lvl 7 (nightfall) earth staff and sunspear armor 15 armor, and a Monk-Ritualist lvl 14 (factions) protection staff and canthon armor 20 armor. I'm thinking of making aRitualist and I don't know what kinda stuff to give it and what other profession to give it.

Dogmantra
2009-05-23, 08:02 PM
If in doubt, take /Mo.

Shades of Gray
2009-05-23, 08:03 PM
If only because you get to call yourself an eMo.

I personally like E/Rt. The spells where you carry stuff work well with Ele, expecially the one that gives you higher energy maximum.

Flickerdart
2009-05-23, 08:06 PM
Elementalists do a good job as secondary Monks, with their incredible energy pool used to cast normally inefficient spells like Heal Party. Some also pick up Mesmer, for Echo-ing and Arcane Echo-ing spells with long recharge times.

Ritualists are harder, as their skill set is already rather self-contained and is difficult to complement. You could go Ranger and have your Nature spirits be powered up. Splinter Weapon combined with Barrage is a powerful attack.
Necromancer secondaries can be effective Minion Masters with high-health Minions from Spawning Power. Minion Bombing is done better by primary Necros now that Heroes are around to micro-manage the swarms faster. Assassins can use tricks to move spirits around or retreat to them when the going gets tough.

AlterForm
2009-05-23, 08:07 PM
I've had good PvE experiences with an E/Me running Rodgort's Invocation, Arcane Echo, Fire Attunement, and Ether Renewal.

FA -> Aura of Restoration -> ER -> AE -> RI -> RI -> Fireball -> Flare -> RI -> RI -> Burninate -> Repeat (if necessary)

Haven't played in several months, though, so...yeah.

Dogmantra
2009-05-23, 08:14 PM
the one that gives you higher energy maximum.
I forgot about that.
Elementalist with 16 energy storage, all radiant insignias and Mighty Was Vorizun = Nigh on infinite energy

Mighty Was Vorizun is one of my favourite skills.

CrimsonAngel
2009-05-23, 08:41 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/image2649.png
Thought it looked cool.

keeperoflore
2009-05-23, 09:15 PM
i still say the best group(of which in my time of playing guildwars, i never once got to try out) for team pvp of any kind would be all mes/necros or necro/mes with so many curses and just general debuff skills(each one has a completely different skill bar) and they just focus on on dude at a time, his entire screen being covered in little icons, that would freak anyone out.

CrimsonAngel
2009-05-24, 08:26 AM
Why do elementalist girls look like whores?

Hunter Noventa
2009-05-24, 05:51 PM
Why do elementalist girls look like whores?

Fanservice. Try the Tyrian or Pyromancer armor if you want them to look less like a whore.

Eon
2009-05-28, 09:18 PM
Finally I rediscovered my thread...
I found a very fun SS (or spirit spammer) spell that always works if the traps don't work in ZE (zaishen elite). Most groups will have frozen soil (fs)(yes i know i reversed it) but if you are against the evil degen team... they will probably get through... if this is likely to happen, the skill Restoration is a spirit rez and so in theory (haven't gotten to test... group didnt die...) if you place it before FS (you can't cast if it is up) since it is a spirit, it should rez your allies

Wizibirb
2009-05-30, 11:04 PM
As sad as this is to admit i still play guild wars with some of my friends XD just my internet is so bad that I can not do pvp. It sucks... My favorite class has to be Monk as wierd as that is to say :P but I have two twenties an amazing healer MO/N and A Dervish/MO Who dies way to fast in the plains of torment (I think thats the place.)

Eon
2009-05-31, 08:50 AM
As sad as this is to admit i still play guild wars with some of my friends XD

There's nothing wrong with guild wars...

Wizibirb
2009-05-31, 11:37 AM
True true.....

ninja_penguin
2009-05-31, 12:28 PM
The ability to pick up Guild Wars after a month or two of not playing is one of the perks for me. I could put it aside for a month or two, and then come back and not be behind in anything. I also just recently broke down and bought a new character slot to make a mesmer in, and then got a pack of those makeover credits so I can get some of the nice hairstyle/face changes for my original prophecies group.

knighttp01
2009-05-31, 06:48 PM
i still play but i find it too diluted since original release (I bought on release) due to the new content, same fan base just spread out over more areas

Heartily looking forward to GW2, maybe ill finish GW:EN at somepoint

Eon
2009-06-01, 04:04 PM
What is so special about Guild Wars 2?

Dogmantra
2009-06-02, 07:40 AM
You can play as a Charr.
A Charr.
A Charr.

If you do not know how awesome that is, I pity you.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-04, 09:05 PM
You can play as a Charr.
A Charr.
A Charr.

If you do not know how awesome that is, I pity you.

A Charr?

A Charr?

Eon
2009-06-05, 05:04 PM
would you be able to be any class or would you get certain unique ones? could you get a charr monk? or some random name for a charr npc class

Dogmantra
2009-06-06, 07:01 AM
I think you can be any profession.
I'm not sure that the professions are going to be the same.

Though there is something (at least with charr) about different clans, one of shamans, one of warriors and one of something else, so perhaps you choose which clan.

Eon
2009-06-06, 12:38 PM
hmmm I don't know... would charr work with the humans or against them? Because it would be annoyinmg to hang out with friends if you can't interact outside of an arena. And it might end up like WoW with 2 sides that can only fight/emote at each other...

Dogmantra
2009-06-06, 01:09 PM
Guilds, I believe, are going to be cross-species (there are others you can play as too: the Humans, Asura, Sylvari [they come from Ventari's refuge] Norn and Dwarves), so I'd expect it's not going to penalise you for thinking Charr are awesome where your (mistaken) friend is going to make a Dwarvern Monk.

Ichneumon
2009-06-06, 02:03 PM
Has any release date been released yet for GW2? Or even a beta-testing thing?

Kriel
2009-06-06, 02:45 PM
I spend most of my gaming time in Guild Wars right now. My favorite class is the Mesmer who goes by the name Kriel Drache. The most PvP thing I do is Fort Aspenwood and you'll probably see me using my E-denial build there. Combine it with Aneurysm and you can do around 200-300 damage to a completely drained Elementalist, which by the time my build is done with him, he is. In PvE it's either my Domination build or a very fun and surprisingly effective IW build.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-06, 03:42 PM
hmmm I don't know... would charr work with the humans or against them? Because it would be annoyinmg to hang out with friends if you can't interact outside of an arena. And it might end up like WoW with 2 sides that can only fight/emote at each other...

Guild Wars 2 is roughly 200-odd years after the first game, a lot has changed from then. Heck, there's a charr ranger hero that will join up with you in EoTN. In terms of release and beta testing, nobody really knows, ANET is pretty mum on it. Personally, I'm okay with the delay, lets me get some work done on the Hall of Monuments, and also save up for a new computer; I know my current one is about ready to fall over after six years.

Eon
2009-06-07, 10:52 AM
SWEET!!!!
NEW SPECIES!

wait...
Wow---------------------Guildwars 2(what we know)
many species---------------------more species
fantasy---------------------------fantasy
classes---------------------------classes
overpowered classes--------------overpowered builds

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-08, 07:35 PM
I'm gunna make my ranger, dervish, and monks great etc. grandchildren for my characters, and then some charr and sylvari.

Eon
2009-06-09, 04:24 PM
ooh I forgot then I won't be the noob who hasn't leveled a character to 20 and does pvp... This will be fun

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-10, 10:02 AM
I'm dying my monk's kurzick armor white, and i'm gunna get her blue chaos gloves after i do tthe asura and end of GW:EN. I'm also filling my menagerie.

Hunter Noventa
2009-06-10, 10:56 AM
I'm looking forward to playing some Norn and Sylvari in GW2. I'm off and on trying to get the Norn Armor for my ranger, and my Necromancer already has the Granite Citadel armor and the spiffy glasses from the Asura.

I don't think it's going to be the same kind of situation you have in WoW. The politics just work differently and all the characters are independent adventurers, or part of independent guilds that can take in whatever sort of people they want. No reason for them to fight outside of PvP except perhaps in certain missions, as I'm sure some of them will have inter-faction combat.

But you get that in EotN too, where you actually get a charr to join you as a hero to take down the charr shamans, and you don't necessarily get along, but you're doing what's necessary.

Eon
2009-06-10, 03:43 PM
:smallfrown:I want to see the charr fight alongside you

Eon
2009-06-12, 12:21 PM
Hey guys, I've been having this glitch (I hope) where I don't get my Balthazar points in the Zaishen Elite after the first run. I usually get around 3000 per group but after that the points disappear. It happens if the group dies or I hit around 3000. Also sometimes I when I should have the 6k cap I won't get any. :smallfrown:
Does anyone else have this problem/ have a solution?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-12, 08:32 PM
Sorry, i don't have any help there. :smallfrown:

My monk has her white kurzick armor, she's about to finish factions, and she's on her last chapter for EoTN before the big bad destroyer thing. Then I can buy her chaos gloves and dye em blue.

My ranger is working on the prophecies quests because i skipped them... After that i'm gunna get her elite canthan armor. She has an asuran bow. :D

My dervish is at the gate of pain, and i have to get her a primeval hood, and destroyer gauntlets, then dye her ES armor black.

The rest of my chars are lvl 16-7 and doin ok. Finally got my ele to the sunspear sanctuary.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-12, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, I've been having this glitch (I hope) where I don't get my Balthazar points in the Zaishen Elite after the first run. I usually get around 3000 per group but after that the points disappear. It happens if the group dies or I hit around 3000. Also sometimes I when I should have the 6k cap I won't get any. :smallfrown:
Does anyone else have this problem/ have a solution?

There's hard caps on balthazar caps for Zaishen - 6k per day.
First 2k can be gained in any fight.
Next 2k can only be gained from the end of round 3 of Zaishen Elites.
Final 2k can only be gained from the end of round 6 of Zaishen Elites.

Eon
2009-06-13, 10:08 AM
I don't think thats it... I once got to round 25 or so (which should have gotten me 6k) but I only got 300 some.

Fleeing Coward
2009-06-13, 09:23 PM
You can't receive more than 6k balthazar points every 24 hours from zaishen (and sime other arenas) so you might have been capped already.
The calculation is based on when you actually got the balthazar faction so it's a full 24 hour wait not just a new server day from what I remember.
Also, make sure you're not at max unused balthazar faction either.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-14, 05:34 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/g243.png

TSED
2009-06-14, 07:39 PM
I've got all expansions and all my characters except 2 are level 20.

One is an 11th monk.

The other is an empty slot I keep for pvp chars.

I was in a high end TA guild for about a month, it was pretty wicked. I left because term papers were coming up and I really couldn't devote the time.

Basically, yeah. I've got a set of 15k armour on some one (I pretty much don't care, but paragon armour mostly sucks aesthetically so I figured I'd spring for some good stuff), have finished every campaign but EotN, participated in all kinds of pvp.

It's a good game that I occasionally go back to in order to screw around, but I feel like I tapped out 90% of its content and the remaining 10% just takes too much effort to see.

That being said, I totally would play with Playgrounders.

For GW2: Looking forwards to it, but would prefer them to take their sweet, sweet time. I've got lots on my plate right now and them making an amazing game is better than them making a rushed game NOW.

Eon
2009-06-15, 10:12 AM
You can't receive more than 6k balthazar points every 24 hours from zaishen (and sime other arenas) so you might have been capped already.
The calculation is based on when you actually got the balthazar faction so it's a full 24 hour wait not just a new server day from what I remember.
Also, make sure you're not at max unused balthazar faction either.

This happened two days after my last attempt and got 3k when I should have gotten 4.5k (what the rest of the group got)

Mr. Mud
2009-06-17, 11:37 AM
So... thinknig abotu buying Guild Wars to join some RL friends, and I was wondering if it requires the insane amounts of time that some other MMOs require... Am I still going to have enough time DM, date, and just hang around? If I want to play every once in while (Whenever I have downtime...), would that woek, or is it more of a commitment?

And what expansions, if any, do you all recommend?

ninja_penguin
2009-06-17, 11:42 AM
Expansions? All of them, eventually. I'd suggest starting in Nightfall; it has the best balance between speed and learning curve for newbies, and lets you get heroes, which are customizable AI helpers. I've found Guild Wars to be significantly low on the time-demanding side, unless you want to be hardcore and do the super-high end missions, which can take up to three hours. Normally, you can just play an hour or two a day and get along fine.

Flickerdart
2009-06-17, 11:56 AM
Guild Wars is not very time demanding, since the level cap is so low and there is no monthly fee.

If you really don't have a lot of time, Factions gives the most XP. If you do have a lot of time, Prophecies gives the least. Nightfall is a fair compromise, and also good if you don't have friends playing because of the Heroes. Factions would be my choice, since Assassins and Ritualists get some new skills with Nightfall, but Dervishes and Paragons are strictly NF/EOTN. The core 6 get the most skills, though, so if you'd rather play them then that's moot.

Dogmantra
2009-06-17, 12:51 PM
Expansions? All of them, eventually. I'd suggest starting in Nightfall;

I'd suggest ignoring this comment. :smallwink:

Prophecies is the best campaign, with the best story.

And time: Well, unless you want to do something like the Underworld, it's fine to play an hour or two a week.

ninja_penguin
2009-06-17, 12:57 PM
I'd suggest ignoring this comment. :smallwink:

Prophecies is the best campaign, with the best story.

A slight caveat here: Your milage may vary. I like prophecies environment the best, however it has the slowest level progression. It also has skills as rewards for quests, which is pretty nifty. However, it's also the biggest, and has missions that can sometimes take close to an hour to do even if you know what you're doing.

I think that heroes are a nice thing to have as a new player, however, which tilts me toward nightfall. Although admittedly, if you play through all of nightfall first you'll spoil a few plot things from the previous games.

Flickerdart
2009-06-17, 01:29 PM
Starting up playing again, the game is loading one of my old characters now so I can delete him and make a new one. Hit me up in-game, Flickerdart the Sly, probably going to start out in Cantha, I like it better there.

Dogmantra
2009-06-17, 01:34 PM
A slight caveat here: Your milage may vary. I like prophecies environment the best, however it has the slowest level progression. It also has skills as rewards for quests, which is pretty nifty. However, it's also the biggest, and has missions that can sometimes take close to an hour to do even if you know what you're doing.

I suppose my milage does vary. Everything mentioned here is good to me, especially the level progression. I find Nightfall's "Okay, thanks for saving our country, now GRRIIIIIIIIIND!" quests a bit annoying. Factions is a bit better (except for Friend of the Kurzicks/Luxons), but then you spend almost as much time answering "are you ready? sure?"

Eon
2009-06-20, 03:13 PM
I made another character. It is a assassin named Bandil the Quick. I have no clue how long it will last but if you want to hang ingame I may be on...

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-21, 09:42 PM
We should all totaly meet one day!

Eon
2009-06-21, 09:53 PM
sounds awesome

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 11:57 AM
I'de be either my dervish or my monk.

Dogmantra
2009-06-22, 12:02 PM
That would be pretty cool.
I'd have to show off my prestige armour with my Mesmer :smallwink:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 01:26 PM
Does everyone have access to Kamadan?

Dogmantra
2009-06-22, 01:28 PM
Yep. Though I think the only good thing about Nightfall is Paragons :smallwink:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 02:10 PM
Wanna meet up doggy?

Dogmantra
2009-06-22, 02:12 PM
Sure thing.
What district?
And when? I can't make it now anymore...

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 02:36 PM
D1, near the second spear girl. I'll be the dervish in the red elite sunspear armor, PM me wen u can get on.

Dogmantra
2009-06-22, 02:48 PM
Well I won't be able to come on until tomorrow.

Eon
2009-06-22, 06:01 PM
(looks shy)
umm I don't have any really good characters there... my highest is a level 15 r/n in proph

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-22, 06:20 PM
(looks shy)
umm I don't have any really good characters there... my highest is a level 15 r/n in proph

Wanna meet in ascalon? Over by the arena?

Eon
2009-06-22, 08:16 PM
sure. when?

Dogmantra
2009-06-23, 01:36 AM
I am free to meet up in around four hours until the end of the day.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-23, 08:45 AM
Hey dog, you still on?

Dogmantra
2009-06-23, 08:54 AM
Yep.
Where, what district, and what continent (i.e. America/Europe)

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-23, 09:02 AM
Are we meeting in Ascalon by the arena, or somewere else?

D1 America english.

Dogmantra
2009-06-23, 09:05 AM
Ascalon sounds fine

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-23, 09:11 AM
Alright, i'm waiting, i'm the derv in the elite sunspear armor.

Eon
2009-06-23, 10:18 AM
what's your username? I'm there

I logged off

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-24, 08:38 AM
There was a bug when I entered Oola's lab, so the door wouldn't open. When I left to try again, it said I finished the quest! :smallbiggrin:

Eon
2009-06-24, 10:10 AM
Don't read unless you have beaten Nightfall. Major event inside.

I was working on my D/P in Nightfall and I just got past the part where Kormir gets killed by the demon. I am level 13. Should I continue on and have henchmen do most of the work or should I do sidequests for awhile. what level i should be would be nice. Thanks.

Dogmantra
2009-06-24, 10:17 AM
Don't read unless you have beaten Nightfall. Major event inside.

I was working on my D/P in Nightfall and I just got past the part where Kormir gets killed by the demon. I am level 13. Should I continue on and have henchmen do most of the work or should I do sidequests for awhile. what level i should be would be nice. Thanks.

Soonish, there should be a quest where you have to grind to either Sunspear Captain or level 17, so there's no harm getting to that point letting henchies do the work.

Eon
2009-06-24, 11:45 AM
i already did the quest so that's good. I seem to die alot for some reason...

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-24, 08:16 PM
I have made a list of what I'm going to buy all my caracters for the future! On some it's only armor, but on others, there's a weapon to go with it.
Ischade The Wild: R/Mo20
Kurzick armor: Green
Asuran long bow: Green

Carre Vertisce: D/A20
Elite sunspear armor: Black
Primeval Hood: black
destroyer gauntlets

Sister Cirrisc: Mo/Rit20
Kurzick armor: White
Chaos gloves: Blue

Kara Deatheater: N/Me17
Kurzick armor: Blue (Scar: Red)
Wayward wand & straw effigy

Lina earthshaker: E/Mo10 (changing her to/A soon)
Luxon Top: Purple
Elite Sunspear Dress: Purple-white-silver
Asuran gloves + boots: Purple (possibly + white)
Asuran Fire staff: Purple-white

Zoe Cirrisc: A/W13
Luxon armor: Purple

Jonus CirriscW/R:15
Kurzick armor: Yellow

Im The Turkey: P/W:10
Elonian gauntlets, Elonion sandals: Yellow
Sunspear Skirt: Yellow
Vabbian Shirt:Yellow
Deldrimor spear and sheild

Eon
2009-06-25, 09:59 AM
nice crimson

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-26, 03:14 PM
Anyone wanna PvP?

Eon
2009-06-26, 06:27 PM
sure
what time?
what place?
what's the character's name?
What district?
etc

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-27, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure were to pvp.

Dogmantra
2009-06-27, 09:34 AM
You could always do Hero Battle one-on-ones, or if we get one more person, we could make a team. I could go mesmer, ritualist or assassin.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-27, 10:10 AM
I only have lvl 20 dervish, ranger, monk. the others are 10,10,12, and 13.

Dogmantra
2009-06-27, 10:30 AM
You could always make a PvP character... unless you don't have any free slots (which reminds me, I need to choose one of my PvP characters to delete, because I want to make another RP character...)

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-27, 03:35 PM
I have 1 character slot left :D

I had to get rid of my pet eagle america. :smallfrown: But I caught a brand new black moa bird! (I named it happy.)

DoomITP
2009-06-27, 05:47 PM
I got guild wars just now!! :smallbiggrin: Crimson where do i find you on game?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-27, 06:29 PM
What campaigne?

Eon
2009-06-28, 08:41 AM
or we could all be trappers and do zaishen elite?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-29, 02:20 PM
Anyone wanna meet up?

Eon
2009-06-30, 12:02 PM
I want to meet up

Mr. Mud
2009-07-02, 07:36 PM
So er, if I'm ordering Guild Wars, and I want the game, and what (you all think) is the best expansion, what do I buy? Like, I know there is a base game, then assloads of expansions... but I'm not sure which is the actual game... Maybe... this (http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0002BJQDY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246581480&sr=1-4)?

Eon
2009-07-03, 08:54 AM
That's what I started with. You get nice free weapons. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2009-07-03, 11:19 AM
So er, if I'm ordering Guild Wars, and I want the game, and what (you all think) is the best expansion, what do I buy? Like, I know there is a base game, then assloads of expansions... but I'm not sure which is the actual game... Maybe... this (http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0002BJQDY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246581480&sr=1-4)?
Every single one except Eye of the North is a stand-alone game. These are:
Prophecies (Guild Wars) the first one
Factions, the second one
Nightfall, the third one
Game of the Year Edition, the first one with some bonus crap I think
Platinum, the first one with Eye of the North included

Dogmantra
2009-07-03, 03:04 PM
If you can only get one, get Prophecies. It's the most newbie friendly. It has the medium learning curve of the three, and there's no "GRIND NOW PLEASE" sections to pad it out.

CrimsonAngel
2009-07-08, 04:35 PM
Thanks to the dragon festival I was able to buy dyes and a new hood. :smallbiggrin:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/myderv.jpg

Dogmantra
2009-07-08, 05:03 PM
Thanks to the dragon festival I was able to buy dyes and a new hood. :smallbiggrin:
Awww goshdarn it! Is that over?

I remember last Dragon Festival, I found a reasonably unpopulated district, went and "played" the Dragon's Lair (read: went there, sat around reading for a few minutes, and collecting victory tokens), got 250 tokens and sold them for 10k. All in the space of about 2 hours.

Eon
2009-07-08, 09:59 PM
What's Dragon's Festival. Is that a really fun event? I haven't been playing for awhile because I have to get a thousand or so promotion points to move on!

Dogmantra
2009-07-09, 03:49 AM
It's a weekend for people who own factions to Farm even more and extort money from people who just want a mask. Also: there's the Dragon arena, which is awesome fun.

Eon
2009-07-09, 10:10 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

that sounds like fun :smallfrown:

CrimsonAngel
2009-07-09, 10:44 AM
You can make alot of money to, i made all my characters do the quests from hanso and made 8 stacks :D

edited list.

Eon
2009-07-09, 10:39 PM
:smallfrown: now I feel sad.

Eon
2009-07-19, 09:15 PM
What's everyone currently working on in Guild Wars?

Lord Loss
2009-07-20, 03:08 PM
I play it (Shamrock ale, anybody?). I'm not a high level (9-ish) fun game. Not as good as Dungeon Lords, though.

Dogmantra
2009-07-20, 04:43 PM
What's everyone currently working on in Guild Wars?

Uhh... Getting my newbie warrior to finish prophecies, I suppose, though I'm supposed to only play her with my friends.

CrimsonAngel
2009-08-04, 06:03 PM
My dervish has officialy beaten all the campaignes, EotN, and now, shes even beaten mox's quest. On my ele I found a little name bug.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/CrimsonAngelChris/CAwoooo.jpg

Mervax
2010-12-09, 11:59 PM
i do Warrior WIN :smallbiggrin: