PDA

View Full Version : How would you adjust PC levels into NPC?

Stormthorn
2009-05-16, 11:38 PM
Like, say, for a first or second level adventure how many NPC levels would you need to survive what a level 1 PC could?

I was thinking two but give the commoner class an extra feat at creation and +1 hitpoint per level.

The idea was that every starts a level 2 adventure with enough levels in NPC to equal second level characters. Then, as they adventure, they can take class levels of PCs.

mithrawnudo
2009-05-16, 11:43 PM
Depends. If it is a commoner in DnD, about 2 or 3, but if it is an NPC Barbarian or whatever, the same as a normal PC.

And a tip, have the commoner be a warrior, it is a much more respectable NPC class than commoner to be either alive or wandering about.

Stormthorn
2009-05-16, 11:47 PM
Depends. If it is a commoner in DnD, about 2 or 3, but if it is an NPC Barbarian or whatever, the same as a normal PC.

And a tip, have the commoner be a warrior, it is a much more respectable NPC class than commoner to be either alive or wandering about.

NPC Barbarian? I only have the SRD so only base NPC classes.

mithrawnudo
2009-05-16, 11:55 PM
Despite my confusion about what the SRD is, I assume you mean you only have the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Masters Guide, or some sort of analogue. If so, by NPC Barbarian I meant a PC Barbarian that is leveled up by you and run by you. So the same rules and regs and it acts just like one of your players was controlling him, only you are.

Vadin
2009-05-16, 11:56 PM
Just because a player isn't playing it doesn't mean you can't run NPCs with levels in those classes.

boomwolf
2009-05-17, 12:02 AM
Tough it is not reccomanded to give PC classes to every random person, only to people that you want to have combat skills.

For exsample-you BBEG SHOULD be using PC levels, and usually more then the party members.

mithrawnudo
2009-05-17, 12:12 AM
I agree with both of the above.

If it is just some truly random person, warrior or commoner.

Something more than that, make a PC character for you to run. They should be rare, but don't make the PC's the only fighters or barbarians or rangers in the entire world. There are others and there are those classes who will not like your PCs.

Dogmantra
2009-05-17, 08:13 AM
Despite my confusion about what the SRD is

Just about the most useful resource ever. (www.d20srd.org)
It has all the crunch from PHB, DMG, most monsters from MMI, crunch from XPH, and variants from UA.

And to the OP, I'd say it depends on what NPC class you're using. A level 2 Adept, Warrior or Expert would likely be good enough to survive what a level 1 PC can, and a little more. A level 2 commoner, without changes... not so much. I'd either use your +1 feat and +1 HP, or give them at least 3 levels. A commoner can survive just as well as a wizard with no spells.

Stormthorn
2009-05-17, 09:18 AM
Hmm...I made a set of abilities for a variant version of the commoner. I might use those to improve survivability.

See, the PCs start off as normal people, thus it would be appropraite to give them NPC classes.