PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tailor's Thimble (Wondrous Item)

Bulwer
2009-05-17, 06:34 AM
Tailor's Thimble
Price (Item Level): 100 gp (1st)
Body Slot: -- (Held)
Caster Level: 1st
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) transmutation
Activation: Standard (manipulation)
Weight: --

This appears to be an ordinary brass thimble, but close inspection reveals constantly shifting stitching patterns in the metal.

When a tailor's thimble is worn on a finger and passed over a piece of damaged cloth, the cloth is repaired perfectly, as though it had never been torn. Additionally, the thimble can be used to fuse two pieces of the same type of cloth together seamlessly at their edges.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, mending.
Cost to Create: 50 gp, 4 xp, 1 day.

Thoughts? I made this because I'm making a character who fights in melee in a snappy suit, and no one wants a snappy suit with holes in it.

Eldan
2009-05-17, 06:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that few people would object to this kind of fluff item. And mending at will is hardly game-breaking.

Bulwer
2009-05-17, 06:59 AM
I didn't anticipate objections, I just wanted to post this so I had something to link to.

EDIT: It's actually worse than Mending at will: it only works on cloth.

mr.fizzypop
2009-05-17, 08:38 AM
That's a cool idea. I like clever magic items like that, that aren't just +1 longswords.

Lorien077
2009-05-19, 01:22 AM
I really like it..... I tend to play casters but still find they have that problem. -_- And typically no access to mending.

DracoDei
2009-05-19, 05:24 PM
I will join the chorus saying that this is a good one... specfying what bonus, if any, it gives to Craft(Seamstress/Tailor) would be good... +2 that doesn't stack with masterwork tools could be good, since it costs more than them I think... you MIGHT want to limit it to 5 usage periods of 1 minute each if you don't want it to be useful for such. That would get you through 5 or so combats a day...

Kornaki
2009-05-19, 05:28 PM
Additionally, the thimble can be used to fuse two pieces of the same type of cloth together seamlessly at their edges.

Hilarity ensues when the assassin fuses the clothing of the king and his secret service style bodyguards together, effectively immobilizing them.

Some limitations on range (like you need to be holding it) would be good

Bulwer
2009-05-19, 07:03 PM
Hilarity ensues when the assassin fuses the clothing of the king and his secret service style bodyguards together, effectively immobilizing them.

Some limitations on range (like you need to be holding it) would be good

Hilarity would indeed ensue.

I think "standard (manipulation)" covers it needing to be held, but I added a "worn on a finger" clause. Of course, severing a finger and putting it on the end of a pole can get around that (to say nothing of the spell Spider Hand), but really, who wants to discourage that kind of behavior from a group of PCs?

I will join the chorus saying that this is a good one... specfying what bonus, if any, it gives to Craft(Seamstress/Tailor) would be good... +2 that doesn't stack with masterwork tools could be good, since it costs more than them I think... you MIGHT want to limit it to 5 usage periods of 1 minute each if you don't want it to be useful for such. That would get you through 5 or so combats a day...

Yeah, I didn't intend for it to provide a bonus to Craft checks, but it probably should, at least as written. I don't really want to give it X uses/day, but neither do I want to make an item that would justifiably cost a lot more.

I intended this item to remove the need to be a trained to repair tears in cloth. Perhaps for things that certainly would need a Craft roll (making a suit, for example), it halves the time needed? How would you price something like that?