PDA

View Full Version : Make my Rakshasa character work!

PrGo
2009-05-17, 09:27 AM
Yello!

Right now, after my Swiftblade was drained of most of his physical stats and then insta-killed by a Banshee, I decided to make a Rakshasa character. They have 7 racial HD and can cast spells as sorcerer of that level, so I'm just gonna continue the spellcasting progression since that's the best way to make him useful.

I'm asking that you help me build a decent spellcaster that can hold his own in battle (read: not suck) despite having +7 LA. I was thinking of going blaster, but if there's a better use for a sorcerer, I'm open for advice.

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2009-05-17, 09:35 AM
The issue here is that you have +7 LA to overcome. As a 7th level sorcerer equivalent, you are level 14. Blasting is definitely not going to cut it: you only have 3rd level spells, while those without LA have 7th. The gap here is quite obvious, and it's difficult for a caster to overcome it.

However, look at what you do have: incredible skill points, many bonuses to Disguise, Bluff and such, +7 BAB (awful at 14th, but still) all good saves, DR and high SR, as well as substantial DEX, CON and CHA increases.

If you can get your DM to waive the Human/Doppleganger requirement for Chameleon, it would be a logical segue for your character.

AslanCross
2009-05-17, 09:36 AM
Rakshasa have natural disguise abilities, so spells that help you boost the illusion are nice to have around.

For blaster spells, I'd say keep it to magic missile, scorching ray and fireball for starters. Others would suggest shadow evocation, but I've never been fond of that spell due to the double saves it calls for.

-glitterdust is the single most effective Save or Suck at those levels.
-phantasmal assailants deals 8 DEX and WIS damage on a failed save. If you're going to be taking Spell Focus (Illusion), that'll help this too.
-when you get access to them, the orb spells.

Flickerdart
2009-05-17, 09:49 AM
Oh, and another thing. You can probably get into a PrC already, and one of the traditionally overpowered ones (Incantatrix, say) would bring you up to speed.

Tar Palantir
2009-05-17, 09:54 AM
Additionally, Versatile Spellcaster is the ideal feat for a sorcerer. Using your level 0 slots to cast first level spells, emulating slots higher than those you can cast for metamagic, the uses are many and potent. Combine with Incantatrix for metamagic-abusing fun.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-05-17, 10:43 AM
A +0 LA Sorcerer 14 is always better than a +7 LA Rakshasa with 7 HD of Outsider and 7th level Sorcerer spellcasting. There was a time when I just had to make a playable Rakshasa character, but it could never work. I tried everything to make it a viable character, but the LA is just too much of a setback unless it's a gestalt game. Consider the following:

Sorcerer 14 has a +7 BAB and 14th level spellcasting
Rakshasa HD 7/LA +7 has a +7 BAB and 7th level spellcasting

Sorcerer 14 gets 2+Int skill points/level, max ranks 17
Rakshasa HD 7/LA +7 gets 8+Int skill points for half as many levels, max ranks 10

Sorcerer 14 gets 1d4+con x14 HP, and saves of +4/+4/+9
Rakshasa HD 7/LA +7 gets 1d8+con x7 HP, and saves of +5/+5/+5
Also consider spells like Holy Word and Word of Chaos, and fear effects that don't affect creatures with a certain number of HD.

Sorcerer 14 can already have 9-10 levels in (a) prestige class(es)
Rakshasa HD 7/LA +7 can only take six prestige class levels before going epic

If you're able to buy off a level adjustment, a Rakshasa can reduce it from +7 to +6 at ECL 35 (21st class level), then from +6 to +5 at ECL 52 (39th class level), so you'll basically have the entire level adjustment for your character's whole career.

If you can't shake the idea of playing a Rakshasa, go with a Half-Rakshasa (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf) (page 6) instead. That has only a +3 LA, which can be reduced at your 9th/15th/18th class levels and be completely bought off before the epic levels. You could also consider getting a Rakshasa cohort, or take Thaumaturgist (via Arcane Disciple) and get one as your Planar Cohort.

Frog Dragon
2009-05-17, 10:47 AM
Negotiate with your DM about lowering the LA. I know I'd allow it at somewhat lesser LA.

AgentPaper
2009-05-17, 11:08 AM
Definitely talk to the DM about it. I would try for +3 LA, which with the 7 HD starts you out at 10. +2 would be the minimum, but might be worth going for, because otherwise you won't be getting 9th level spells pre-epic.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-17, 12:33 PM
The question to be asking yourself is "What sorcerer-spellcasting-advancing prestige class do I want to take?"

A sorcerer has one of those by this level if the player is even doing standard character optimization. But in your case, it's practically required: This character is already heavily invested into doing other things in addition to sorcerer spellcasting. Ignoring all that and trying to make him a straight-up no-frills sorc will seriously gimp his potential.

Try to enhance your roles as a melee warrior and as a social manipulator. Buffs and enchantments are better choices than attack spells that a human sorcerer could cast better than you.

Note that, per the Monsters as Races (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm) explanation, a rakshasa should have Concentration, Diplomacy, Spellcraft, and Intimidate as racial class skills, in addition to those given under "Rakshasas As Characters". This is evidently an oversight.

They maybe deserve a +5 LA; they do have some very good defenses. 7 is definitely too high, though.

Eldariel
2009-05-17, 12:50 PM
They'd be playable at LA+3-4 or so, maybe. Generally, the level adjustments in MM are just vastly exaggerated (even though Rakshasas do have insane spell resistance at 20+HD; that's mostly negated by their level adjustment though).

Anyways, yeah, pick something that advances everything you've got. The best option is probably Unseen Seer from Complete Mage. It's a skilled arcane casting class with medium BAB.

If you had Sneak Attack, it would advance that too, but getting that would cost you a level which sucks when you're already so far behind. But yeah, Unseen Seer advances everything Rakshasas have so it's a natural class to go with. Other decent option would be Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327), for a more martial approach.

Overall though, losing 7 levels...

RTGoodman
2009-05-17, 12:54 PM
Are you married to the Sorcerer aspect of being a Rakshasa?

If not, grab Monster Manual 3 and take a look at the Naztharune Rakshasa. It doesn't have the spellcasting of a normal one, but it does make a pretty decent stealthy Rogue-type character. Plus, it's RHD/LA isn't as high as the normal Rakshasa.

Devils_Advocate
2009-05-17, 02:56 PM
There's also the zaya rakshasa in the Eberron Campaign Setting, which gets Fighter bonus feats, and the naityan rakshasa in the Tome of Battle, which gets martial adept maneuvers.

Albonor
2009-05-17, 04:14 PM
Abjurant Champion might be a decent start for this character

At +7 LA, hps are going to suck, so d10s are always useful. After that, going full Ranged touch PrC might be a good idea, or, you know, your call.

AslanCross
2009-05-17, 06:00 PM
Are you married to the Sorcerer aspect of being a Rakshasa?

If not, grab Monster Manual 3 and take a look at the Naztharune Rakshasa. It doesn't have the spellcasting of a normal one, but it does make a pretty decent stealthy Rogue-type character. Plus, it's RHD/LA isn't as high as the normal Rakshasa.

The Naztharune has an even higher ECL, though.

The Rakshasa ECLs in descending order:
-Ak'Chazar (MMIII, ECL 22)
-Naztharune (MMIII, ECL 16)
-Naityan (Tome of Battle, ECL 15)
-Rakshasa (Core, ECL 14)
-Zakya (Eberron Campaign Setting, ECL 14)

The advantage of the Naztharune is that it pretty much is the equivalent of an 11th-level Rogue with d8 hit dice and its racial traits; it only lacks Trapfinding if I'm not mistaken.

The Zakya is the equivalent of a 7th-level fighter, but its spellcasting is limited to a number of melee touch (Sp)s.

The Naityan Rakshasa doesn't actually get Martial Maneuver progression; it only gets Style Shapes. Basically it has a few forms it can change into in addition to Change Shape's capabilities, and each form grants the use of certain maneuvers and a stance, plus one other ability.