PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Druid's Map

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-05, 02:55 PM
This map appears to be a magical scroll; it looks much like any other scroll, and has about a page's worth of writing at the top in Druidic. The rest is, however, blank.

When a character with access to (but not necessarily the ability to cast) the Commune with Nature spell reads the writing at the top aloud, taking 10 minutes, the rest of the scroll displays a map. The map can cover a 9-mile radius around the point where the scroll was read, but no underground features except cave entrances, or a 900-foot radius, with a full display of underground features. This can be used a maximum of once per day.

Buildings are marked on the map, as are dungeon rooms (if underground), but no more is given, and two dungeon rooms separated by constructed walls register as a single room; they register as blind spots.

The map shows topography, bodies of water, and, aboveground, the vegetation of the area, while it shows mineral deposits underground.

An aboveground map is quite simple to read, as are some underground maps, such as those of dungeons or caves with only a few levels. More complex areas, with several layers of cavern or corridors passing under eachother, take a DC 10 intelligence check to read; this cannot be retried by the same person. Highly complex areas, such as a 3-dimensional cavern complex where movement up and down are as common as left and right, are DC 15 to read.

Information given about bodies of water, plants, minerals, and the like is given in druidic; it is a DC 25 Decipher Script check to understand that information on the map without being a druid.

Market Price: 13,500 GP.
Moderate Divination; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, Commune with Nature, Creator must be a Druid.

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 05:44 PM
Quite interesting; although my campaign takes place in a city the size of most of the planet, this item should have been created to give druids the edge. I'll definitely tell you the results of its usage. Once that happens.

However, I can't help but notice what happens when you try to view areas that are protected from magic or scrying or the like. I'd think that nature would, with difficulty, be able to detect around these, but the results would be scrambled and require some sort of check to sort out.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-05, 05:47 PM
It shows buildings and dungeons, but those are blind spots to it; I can't see why antimagic or warded areas wouldn't show up the same way. Then you can protect your dungeon against it by putting a big ward around it; it will then just see the dungeon, not its halls and rooms.

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 05:54 PM
Hm... well, anyways, I'm now inspired to make a scrying item specifically designed to penetrate anti-magic fields and such.

TheOOB
2006-08-06, 04:16 AM
Hm... well, anyways, I'm now inspired to make a scrying item specifically designed to penetrate anti-magic fields and such.

That ruins the purpose of those protections though. Antimagic fields are generally unnesecary when dealing with scrying, using a thin sheet of lead is enough.

Speaking of which, anyone know of a non-magical way to bar teleportation, dimension lock is difficult to keep up on a large area.

Bye the bye, nice item, though I might have it mention native fauna as well as flora.

Peregrine
2006-08-06, 04:40 AM
Very nice! I have no idea how balanced it is, but I love the flavour. :)

This makes me want to repost some spells I had a while back. In fact I think I'll go do that now.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-06, 02:07 PM
It's basically a Commune with Nature spell 1/day that gives its information (Terrain, Water, and Flora or Minerals) in the form of a map.

It's primary use, I'd imagine, would be to map out dungeons before exploring them, by drawing the shape of the blind spots.