PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Metamagic specifically for bards? HERESY!

chaiyo
2006-08-04, 04:53 PM
Rhyme Spell [Metamagic]
Your musical spells are whimsically potent.
Prerequisites: Perform 6 ranks, five uses of Bardic Music per day.
Benefit: This metamagic can only be applied to a Bard spell slot. Upon applying this metamagic, you must make a Perform check at DC 20+the spell's level. If you succeed this check, you get an increase to caster level equal how much your check beat the DC divided by three, maximum +3. This metamagic feat does not increase the spell level.

I need to keep the spell level increase at zero. Y'know, because bards getting a new spell level is quite uncommon. Especially when they multiclass like the player in my campaign I'm trying to help. Maximum too harsh? Not a problem.

Improved Rhyme Spell [Metamagic]
Your musical spells are much more potent.
Prerequisites: Perform 9 ranks, Rhyme Spell, 8 uses of Bardic Music per day.
Benefit: As Rhyme Spell, except as follows: The Perform DC is a flat 20, the maximum CL increase is +10. Also, the spell level of a spell with this metamagic is increased by one.

Thoughts? Automatic "EACH's"?

EDIT to 1.1: Increased the DC, kept the Improved Rhyme Spell from booting Caster Level into the stratosphere. Added Bardic Music uses as a prerequisite. Also, only usable for bard spells to avoid cheese. CL increase is now at a steeper proportion to the Perform check.
EDIT to 1.2: Made more uses of Bardic Music a prerequisite for Improved Rhyme Spell. Also, seeing as bard spells require a verbal component, that rule has been eliminated.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-04, 05:03 PM
You know, I have absolutely nothing constructive to say, but I still think they're good. Maybe a bit overpowered, but come on, we're talking about bards.

chaiyo
2006-08-04, 05:08 PM
Precisely. But still, do you think I should make using the metamagic take up a bardic music use per day? I had that thought while I was posting it, but apparently forgot.

Dhavaer
2006-08-04, 06:14 PM
The perform check looks much too low. Maybe make it +1/5 over the DC? And the bardic music use would help stop it from being used constantly.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-04, 08:02 PM
The perform check looks much too low. Maybe make it +1/5 over the DC? And the bardic music use would help stop it from being used constantly.
It'd be like Divine Metamagic for bards!

Fizban
2006-08-05, 03:34 AM
Actually, I think I did read about a feat that let bards use bardic music to pay for metamagic, but it might not have been official, or I could be mistaking something else...

Squangos
2006-08-05, 07:28 AM
Actually, I think I did read about a feat that let bards use bardic music to pay for metamagic, but it might not have been official, or I could be mistaking something else...Metamagic Song, page 142 of Races of Stone… Unless there's another feat you were thinking of.

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 11:29 AM
I was thinking of increasing the DC for the first one to 20+spell level, and the improved DC to 20. The alternative would be the bardic music use. Anyone have any better ideas, or at least suggestions for which one to choose?

kailin
2006-08-05, 11:47 AM
Erm, dude, that's way too strong. WAYYYYY too strong. Say I'm a 10th level bard with both feats, max ranks in perform (as bards will do) and a charisma of 22. I'm +19 on perform checks.

Even when I roll a 1, I get +4 to CL, the same as clerics get from prayer beads of karma, an expensive item that takes up the same slot as their wisdom booster. If I roll a 7 or higher, I cast as a 20th-level bard! Yeah, that's good, alright.

And who says they even have to be bard spells? Nothing in your feat prohibits taking 1 level of bard and a bunch of wizard, buying a skill-boosting item for perform, and casting horrendously spell-powered everything.

Make each use require a daily use of bardic music, and give a CL bonus of +1 per 5 points by which you beat the perform DC. And have Bardic Music 5/daily as a prerequisite.

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 12:53 PM
Erm, dude, that's way too strong. WAYYYYY too strong. Say I'm a 10th level bard with both feats, max ranks in perform (as bards will do) and a charisma of 22. I'm +19 on perform checks.

Even when I roll a 1, I get +4 to CL, the same as clerics get from prayer beads of karma, an expensive item that takes up the same slot as their wisdom booster. If I roll a 7 or higher, I cast as a 20th-level bard! Yeah, that's good, alright.

OK, I admit, you have a good point here. Also, I just realized a 20th level bard can, with a very successful perform check with the second feat, have a caster level of 40. I'll change the maximum for Improved Rhyme Spell to +10 or a maximum CL of 20, whichever comes first. Also, I think I should increase the DC whether or not I use a bardic music use.

And who says they even have to be bard spells? Nothing in your feat prohibits taking 1 level of bard and a bunch of wizard, buying a skill-boosting item for perform, and casting horrendously spell-powered everything.

Notice that I specifically said that you must apply it to a spell without preparation. However, this does not restrict sorcerers, so I should definitely restrict it to bard spells only.

Make each use require a daily use of bardic music, and give a CL bonus of +1 per 5 points by which you beat the perform DC. And have Bardic Music 5/daily as a prerequisite.

Yes, I never thought of requiring a certain number of bardic music uses. I'll add that.

We are go for launch... of edits. Consider this version 1.1.

EDIT: As I saw that the DC was still too low for the example, I did indeed divide the bonus, but by three for now.

I am the master of long posts. This may be considered as a challenge.[/not really serious]

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 01:11 PM
I am the master of long posts. This may be considered as a challenge.[/not really serious]
You didn't see my Language thread, did you? ;)

Looks better, except in order to keep consistency, perhaps Improved Rhyme Spell should have a second prereq of Bardic Music (8/day)

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 01:17 PM
You didn't see my Language thread, did you? ;)

Looks better, except in order to keep consistency, perhaps Improved Rhyme Spell should have a second prereq of Bardic Music (8/day)

First of all, yes, I saw that thread, and it gave me mental trauma. You just disillusioned my only grasp of sanity by reminding me of its existance. Thanks.

Also, that is a good idea. I'll add that. Consider this version 1.2.

NullAshton
2006-08-05, 01:52 PM
Make the player have to actually make a rhyming verbal component to use this. Then it's balanced. ;D

Squangos
2006-08-05, 02:32 PM
Make the player have to actually make a rhyming verbal component to use this. Then it's balanced. ;D
Sure, if you want your campaign to have a huge influx of men for Nantucket…

chaiyo
2006-08-05, 05:31 PM

I'm pretty sure it's implied when I say that a verbal component is added. It's at the end of the first feat. Thanks for telling me, though.

BakerOfBedlam
2006-08-06, 01:54 AM
I think what he meant was, you should make the player himself make up a rhyme for the spell. If you take it that way the Nantucket joke makes much more sense. ;)

NEO|Phyte
2006-08-06, 01:58 AM
Rhyme spell has a slightly redundant feature. All bard spells have verbal components. Its a class feature.

chaiyo
2006-08-06, 12:09 PM
Rhyme spell has a slightly redundant feature. All bard spells have verbal components. Its a class feature.

*rifles through SRD* I never noticed that. I'll be sure to remove that redundancy and make this the official version 1.2.