PDA

View Full Version : Narrow fields of battle. [3.5e]

Abstruse
2009-05-17, 06:00 PM
If one is fighting on narrow ground -- a bridge of whatever construction, a ridge of stone, etc. -- and one is disarmed or is the subject of a Command'd "drop", is there any mechanism within 3.5 to determine what happens to your weapon or held items?

That is, what chance is there that said items will simply fall over the edge and down into whatever abyss lies below you? Reflex save based on a flat number? On the save DC for the Command spell? On a DEX check?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-05-17, 06:05 PM
If one is fighting on narrow ground -- a bridge of whatever construction, a ridge of stone, etc. -- and one is disarmed or is the subject of a Command'd "drop", is there any mechanism within 3.5 to determine what happens to your weapon or held items?

That is, what chance is there that said items will simply fall over the edge and down into whatever abyss lies below you? Reflex save based on a flat number? On the save DC for the Command spell? On a DEX check?

Items drop into the hex you are occupying. Unless you were Comanded to 'Throw', the items are perfectly retrievable next round.

AslanCross
2009-05-17, 06:06 PM
I know that by default, any dropped item falls into the same square as the person who dropped it. You'd have to houserule something. For Disarm, you could make the weapon fly harmlessly in any direction by an additional 5 feet for every 5 by which you beat the victim's check to resist Disarm. This would make it consistent with the rules that Bull Rush uses.

For Command: Drop, I'd just say the item falls onto the ground in the same square.

Crow
2009-05-17, 06:47 PM
If the wielder has to use a balance check to move or stand on the narrow ledge or whatever, then a dropped item falls off the ledge or whatever. If standing or moving there wouldn't require a balance check, then it falls at their feet and is retrievable.

KillianHawkeye
2009-05-17, 06:49 PM
Could also depend on what object is being dropped. Like if I dropped a crystal ball, it's going to roll off a narrow bridge no matter what.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-05-17, 07:37 PM
Could also depend on what object is being dropped. Like if I dropped a crystal ball, it's going to roll off a narrow bridge no matter what.If you're fighting on one end of a football field, and there is a 2" drop in the other end zone, a crystal ball you drop will roll off the edge. That has nothing to do wih game rules and everything to do with the fact that valuable things are all sentient and emo.

Glyde
2009-05-17, 07:55 PM
It depends how narrow we're talking here. If two folks are on a balance beam fighting, then I'd rule that there is a fairly good chance that the object will fall.

And as said before, it depends on the object. A dagger would clatter to the ground and come to an immediate rest, whereas the head of a flail would roll around a bit, then possible drag the whole thing over the edge if it were to fall. Same goes for other potentially round things, like quarterstaves, clubs. Also to potentially bouncy things that hop around a lot before they come to rest, though that sometimes depends on what side they land on.