PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Secret piercer, all-seeing eye...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-18, 11:21 PM
Secret Piercer (Odaiusey)

Large Outsider (archon, good, law, psionic)
Hit Dice: 18d8+36 (117 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 32 (+5 dex, +18 natural, -1 size), touch 14, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+26
Attack: +1 merciful soulbreaker quarterstaff +22 melee (2d6+4 non-lethal/2d6+4 non-lethal)
Full attack: +1 merciful soulbreaker quarterstaff +22 melee (2d6+4 non-lethal/2d6+4 non-lethal)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Psionic powers, psi-like abilities
Special Qualities: Archon traits, aura of menace, damage reduction 10/evil and magic, darkvision 60 ft., elfsight, immunity to electricity and petrification, knowledge delver, low-light vision, magic circle against evil, outsider traits, piercing concentration, secret piercing, teleport, true name, tongues
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +22, Will +22
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 31, Wis 27, Cha 17
Skills: Autohypnosis +23, Concentration +23, Decipher Script +31, Diplomacy +26, Gather Information +24, Knowledge (any six) +31, Listen +29, Perform (oratory) +24, Psicraft +31, Search +29, Sense Motive +29 (+39 while psionically focused), Spellcraft +31, Spot +29
Feats: Extend Power, Inquisitor(B), Insightful Reflexes, Iron Will, Maximize Power, Quicken Power, Psionic Endowment, +Transdimensional Power, Words of Creation
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Study (3-5), Colloquy (6+)
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: +1 merciful soulbreaker quarterstaff
Alignment: Always Lawful Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: -

Your surroundings abruptly disapear in a wave of dizziness. Once you can see clearly you find yourself before an extraordinarily willowy man some fourteen feet tall, with overly long legs and arms, and an impossibly thin waist. His hairless head, the only unclothed part of him, is covered in wrinkled skin so pale as to be nearly transparent with fine golden veins visible beneath in fantastic patterns. The head appears large in comparison, with a single enormous eye in the middle of his forehead; a pupiless blackness that shines like polished obsdian. The rest is covered in the simplest, most utilitarian of clothing, complete with hood and glove...

Odaiusey, Secret Piercer, All-Seeing Eye, all are names given of this being who seeks the ultimate truth, for evil cannot last long where lies are slain. He is the ultimate judge, juror, and possible executioner, called forth in situations where the truth is so tangled that lesser creatures are incapable of its unraveling. It is in these impossible situations that the Secret Piercer is requested, for through use of the fantastic faculities and unparalleled genius of his mind it is all but unknown for him to fail in his task. By the end he is likely to know more of what transpired than the accused, having exhaustively gone over every detail leading up to the trial, sometimes examining entire lifetimes. When he is through none can truthfully say that there is doubt in the verdict, whatever it may be, and many who even thought themselves guilty have been shown their innocence through his judgement. If the accused is found guilty however, the Odaiusey is the one to dictate the sentence, which in only the rarest situations entitles death. Instead the sentence is meant to bring the accused to make honest ammends and change his ways through his own decisions and enlightenment. Thus justice is more than served, but an ally of good is raised forth. Even when death is the only alternative, even then the Odaiusey prefers to merely imprison them in a world within their own heads, forever trapped amongst their own thoughts, often reliving theor crimes over and over.

An Odaiusey's prefered method of beginning his research into the accuser's past is to discover his true name. Once this is discovered the accuser is transported to his trial, often ignorant of the fact that his life has been closely scrutinized.

Secret Piercers love mysteries, puzzles, and enigmas, and when not within trials, they are found spread across the planes, always seeking answers. Even above evil in their loathing is ignorance, for ignorance and untruth is upon which evil is balanced. Once all mysteries are solved, their solutions showed to all, and false knowledge vanquished shall peace and goodness be freed upon the universe. Or, as they will admit, it would be a start. To think otherwise would be self delusion, which is anethma to all they stand for.

Though secret piercers continuously use their tongues ability to communicate, they also comprehend and understand hundreds if not thousands of other tongues, many forgotten or so ultimately secret that only these beings know of them. The Odaiusey stand some 14 feet tall and weigh around 400 lbs.

Combat:
Despite their love of debte, an Odaiusey has no taste for conflict, relying on their silver tongue and psionics to defuse a hostile situation before it can get out of hand. If worse comes to worse, they teleport away from conflict, unless it would leave a victim to their opponent. Then, and only then, when it is the lesser evil do they bring forth their staff to defend those about them.

Aura of Menace (Su): A righteous aura surrounds archons that fight or get angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of an archon must succeed on a DC 19 Will save to resist its effects. Those who fail take a –2 penalty on attacks, AC, and saves for 24 hours or until they successfully hit the archon that generated the aura. A creature that has resisted or broken the effect cannot be affected again by the same archon’s aura for 24 hours.

Elfsight (Ex):
An Odaiusey has almost a sixth sense in reguards to things that don't quite match up. If he passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door he is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.

Knowledge Delver (Ex):
An Odaiusey can use any skill as if he had 1/2 rank in that skill. This benefit allows him to attempt checks with skills that normally don't allow untrained skill checks (such as Decipher Script and Knowledge). If a skill doesn't allow skill checks (such as Speak Language), this ability has no effect.

Psi-Like Abilities:
At will - Aura Sight, Empathy, Know Direction and Location, Object Reading, Read Thoughts (DC 22); 3/day - Hypercognition, Remote Viewing (DC 24); 1/day - Metafaculty. Manifester level 18. Save DCs are Intelligence-based.

Psionic Powers: An Odaiusey manifests powers as an 18th-level psion (telepath). The save DCs are Intelligence-based.

Typical Psion Powers Known (power points 370, base save DC 20 + power level):
1st - Call to Mind, *Empty Mind, Mindlink, *Psionic Charm, Telempthic Projection
2nd - Body Equilibrium, *Ego Whip, *Mass Missive, *Psionic Suggestion, *+Serenity
3rd - *Dispel Psionics, *False Sensory Input, *Psionic Blast, *+Psychic Containment
4th - Correspond, *Intellect Fortress, *Mindwipe, *Psionic Dominate, Psionic Modify Memory
5th - Mind Probe, Psionic Plane Shift, *Psychic Crush, Shatter Mind Blank
6th - Co-opt Concentration, Mass Cloud Mind, Psionic Overland Flight, *+Psychometry
7th - Personal Mind Blank, *Ultrablast
8th - Psionic Mind Blank, True Metabolism
9th - Apopsi, *Microcosm, Psychic Chirurgery
* Power can be augmented.

Piercing Concentration (Ex):
An Odaiusey may gain psionic focus as a free action.

Secret Piercing (Su):
A secret piercer has a continuous psionic discern lies, true seeing, and zone of truth ability, as the power (manifester level 20).

Teleport (Su): Archons can use greater teleport at will, as the spell (caster level 14th), except that the creature can transport only itself and up to 50 pounds of objects.

Tongues (Su): All archons can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.

True Name: An Odaiusey uses Hypercognition and Metafaculty in place of Legend Lore and Commune in their studies.

+ From Complete Psionic

Abd al-Azrad
2006-04-19, 01:49 AM
Ever think of giving him a few ranks in Profession (Executioner)? Just because he'd have a difficult time carrying out a death sentence with a quarterstaff. Dude, that would suck to be the guilty.

But, once again, I enjoy the wierd things you make, VT. A celestial devoted entirely to correctly judging the character of a person? Pretty much exactly what the celestial order needs, otherwise we just have to go on the assumption that the supreme good beings in the universe are worth trusting. The Odaiusey proves they are.

Winged One
2006-04-19, 02:09 AM
The lack of this sort of being is exactly what my general dislike of things that claim to be "ultimate good" is based on. I also like that you gave it exactly 18 HD, allowing for it to be called by Greater Planar Ally/Binding. Great concept, great execution.

However, I see that the full attack entry doesn't note the fact that it has multiple attacks from it's BAB. I also think that giving this creature only 6 knowledge skills isn't enough.

EDIT: Also, I suggest making a non-psionic version if you can, because a lot of DMs don't allow psionics, and it would be a damn shame for them to be unable to use one of these as a plot device just because of that.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-04-19, 03:16 AM
EDIT: Also, I suggest making a non-psionic version if you can, because a lot of DMs don't allow psionics, and it would be a damn shame for them to be unable to use one of these as a plot device just because of that.

You know, I have also noticed VT's tendency to make his creatures psionic. It must be because psionics rule. But, yes, most creatures involve the Psionics ability, granting multiple spell-likes at will, with the option for a campaign using psionics rules to swap these spell-likes for psionic abilities at will. I imagine that rewriting this creature as both an 18th-level wizard and an 18th-level psion is unreasonably demanding (if I got such a suggestion, I would hate me), but perhaps giving it a list of spell-likes would make this process easier. It would also make the monster much easier to run from the DM's perspective.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-19, 08:24 AM
Ever think of giving him a few ranks in Profession (Executioner)? Just because he'd have a difficult time carrying out a death sentence with a quarterstaff. Dude, that would suck to be the guilty.
Naw, if they have less than 110 HP he can use Microcosm and then do away with them at his leisure.

Above that Psychic Crush and a maximized ultrablast should do the trick. I gave him at least a few offensive powers in there ;)

A celestial devoted entirely to correctly judging the character of a person? Pretty much exactly what the celestial order needs
Aye, exactly such were my thoughts. Soooo tired of reading about these judgemental celestials just going out and slaughtering in the name of good. I mean, you insult a hound archon's mother and he'll probably take you out, reguardless of whether you are saint or black-hearted. You call that enlightened goodness? Cuz I don't.

However, I see that the full attack entry doesn't note the fact that it has multiple attacks from it's BAB. I also think that giving this creature only 6 knowledge skills isn't enough.
Aye, was late when I posted and forgot a few details like multiple attacks :-/

As for only 6 knowledge skills, aye, he probably really needs more, but even with his massive intelligence score and outsider skills he just can't have much more. He could have 7 though if he only had 28 ranks or so in all of them, or 8 for a bit less, etc etc. Just hard to be an expert in every subject.

Yeeeah, had to go and make an arcane equivalent of my last batch of psionic celestials for the OOTS monster contest last year. The only problem is, most powers don't actually have an equivalent I've found. Just too different. Call to Mind for example is duplicated by no spell I can find. Not one spell gives you a bonus to knowledge checks at 1st level.

I can make a roughly wizardly version though if theres a non-psionic using DM out there who requests of it.

You know, I have also noticed VT's tendency to make his creatures psionic.
Actually I've not really been making many psionic creatures until Complete Psionics was near coming out. Every now and again I just go on a theme-based spree, where everything is an aberration, or nature-based, or arctic-based, or underground based, etc. I'm currently in a psionic kick... further urged by my disapointment of finding only one or two worthwhile creatures in CP.

Winged One
2006-04-20, 01:39 AM
I'd recomend nixing the Aura Sight psi-like, just because I don't see this creature putting any stock in alignment detection. Also, although this might be a bit crude, Mark of Justice, Geas, or the psionic equivalent as a spell-like or psi-like might help with enforcing it's verdict. Of course, I don't have Complete Psionic, so my concern may already be addressed.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-04-20, 09:28 AM
I'd recomend nixing the Aura Sight psi-like, just because I don't see this creature putting any stock in alignment detection.
Ah, but you see, even alignment is something it can use, for its aura gives insight to motives and basics on to hos this creature acts. For instance, he could be blamed for stealing something valuable to sell. Well, if he's lawful, then you know its something more than that, if he did it at all. There is thus either a higher motive or a case of mistaken identity.

Also, although this might be a bit crude, Mark of Justice, Geas, or the psionic equivalent as a spell-like or psi-like might help with enforcing it's verdict. Of course, I don't have Complete Psionic, so my concern may already be addressed.
Aye, might could use those, though my thoughts were that the punishment dictated would work because this guy here had studied the accused's psyche and found out what would best see him on the path to turning over a new league.

Its not much of a reformation if they are compelled, and by being compelled they might form an attitude of rebellion.

Sure, this may not hold snuff if a player is on trial, as the player will often do whatever they steenkin' well please. But as his theme thats my view on things.

martyboy74
2006-08-05, 08:02 PM
You might want to put the use of microcosm as the method of execution in the entry. Oher than that, very well designed. It'd be interesting to run into.

What if someone manifested Microcosm on it? At 19th level, a Psion could return it at a 120 limit, which is above the average. At most, it'd need to take 30 damage to knock it down below 120. If it got beat in initiative by a trigger-happy party...that's a fast KO. Unless it has PR/SR that I missed.

ghost_warlock
2006-08-06, 07:04 AM
If it's just used as a plot device, its stats shouldn't matter. As for DMs not allowing psionics...nah, not going there and side-tracking the thread. ;D I'm sure they have completely legitimate reasons! ::)

You might want to put the use of microcosm as the method of execution in the entry. Oher than that, very well designed. It'd be interesting to run into.

What if someone manifested Microcosm on it? At 19th level, a Psion could return it at a 120 limit, which is above the average. At most, it'd need to take 30 damage to knock it down below 120. If it got beat in initiative by a trigger-happy party...that's a fast KO. Unless it has PR/SR that I missed.
Yeah, it needs SR/PR.

EDIT: Wait, it has mindblank on its powers list. There's a good chance that microcosm would simply fail if attempted.

martyboy74
2006-08-06, 07:33 AM
If you'll notice, Shatter Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/shatterMindBlank.htm) is a 5th level power. If the Psion launches a quickened one of those, (easily feasible, he could almost launch a quickened maximized shatter mind blank). Once the Mind Blank's down (assuming it was up), the Psion blows 19 powerpoints on a double augumented Microcosm. Odaiusey loses.

Now, this certainly depends on a trigger happy group, who also beleives that almost everything has mind blanks activated, but, they do exist.

I seriously need to stop doing this.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-06, 08:49 AM
You might want to put the use of microcosm as the method of execution in the entry.
"Even when death is the only alternative, even then the Odaiusey prefers to merely imprison them in a world within their own heads, forever trapped amongst their own thoughts, often reliving their crimes over and over."

I seriously need to stop doing this.
Aye, especially when the Odaiusey is completely immune to Microcosm and pretty much all other mind-affecting effects, so this argument is moot.

It has a continuous magic circle against evil. A magic circle against evil also acts a protection from evil spell from which you can find this text:

"Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature... or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects..."
Microcosm is a compulsion effect.

Also, honestly, don't insult the guy's intelligence. I ain't got a 31 Int here but even I would know to have extensive precautions in place for when I summon some powerful creature for trial.

martyboy74
2006-08-06, 08:51 AM
You win.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-06, 09:09 AM
You win.
;D

Actually, Protection from Evil has always annoyed me as it is a what, 1st-2nd level spell, yet its basically the equivalent of a very high leveled psionic power? Grrr...

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-06, 09:26 AM
Why am I reminded of The Inquisitor.