PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Crusader's weapons - allowing them as heavy blades?

Colmarr
2009-05-17, 07:55 PM
Does anyone see a great problem with allowing the Crusader's Weapon enchantment on heavy blades?

The enchantment has bonus effects against undead, but mostly I want one because they can be used as a holy symbol as well as a weapon.

As far as I can tell, the restriction is fluff-based rather than crunch-based, but I'm curious what others think.

NecroRebel
2009-05-17, 11:01 PM
From what I can tell, Light Blades and Polearms have mechanical reasons to be segregated from the other weapon types for enchantment purposes, due to different types of powers used (particularly Rogue-based ones) and reach bases, respectively. The rest, there doesn't seem to be any mechanical balance that would be upset by altering the weapon type. Most of those that are restricted to only a few "martial" weapon types, not counting the aforementioned Polearms, appear to be restricted on the basis of traditional class usage, like the Crusader's weapons are callbacks to the old "Cleric weapons = Blunt weapons" thing from the older editions.

In short, no.

Kurald Galain
2009-05-18, 03:50 AM
As far as I can tell, the restriction is fluff-based rather than crunch-based, but I'm curious what others think.

I don't think any restrictions in 4E are really fluff-based.

Colmarr
2009-05-18, 06:01 PM
I don't think any restrictions in 4E are really fluff-based.

Is that just a not-too-subtle dig at 4e, or was it a serious comment relevant to my initial question?

Asbestos
2009-05-18, 08:23 PM
like the Crusader's weapons are callbacks to the old "Cleric weapons = Blunt weapons" thing from the older editions.

Might be, but might be they also wanted something that both clerics + paladins can use without spending a feat. You could say "mace, hammer, heavy blade" but something seems not like the others there. I suppose if you made it heavy blade the cleric could use it as a scythe... (but honestly who doesn't take some sort of superior weapon prof?)

I think KG still vehemently believes that fluff is 100% unrelated to all mechanical aspects of 4e.

Yakk
2009-05-19, 02:55 PM
It rewards Clerics who don't boost their [W] dice via weapon proficiencies with a tool that can be used as both an implement and a weapon.

There are many god-specific weapons that act as both a holy symbol and a weapon. These are typically specific to the god in question, or aimed at Paladins.

Colmarr
2009-05-19, 06:34 PM
There are many god-specific weapons that act as both a holy symbol and a weapon.

Such as? I'm playing in FR as a Tempuran, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any for him :smallsmile:

Is there one for Kord or Bahamut that I could ask the DM to reflavour?

NecroRebel
2009-05-19, 06:37 PM
Such as? I'm playing in FR as a Tempuran, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any for him :smallsmile:

Is there one for Kord or Bahamut that I could ask the DM to reflavour?

They're in the Adventurer's Vault. Kord doesn't have a weapon, but Bahamut has the aptly-named Blades of Bahamut, which are heavy-blade only weapons that can be used as a holy symbol by worshippers of Bahamut that have a daily Cha-based force blast that hurts enemies and heals allies in the burst. Page 64.

Colmarr
2009-05-19, 06:40 PM
They're in the Adventurer's Vault. Kord doesn't have a weapon, but Bahamut has the aptly-named Blades of Bahamut, which are heavy-blade only weapons that can be used as a holy symbol by worshippers of Bahamut that have a daily Cha-based force blast that hurts enemies and heals allies in the burst. Page 64.

Thanks, I'll check them out.