PDA

View Full Version : Inkless Pen[item]

Winged One
2006-08-06, 01:41 AM
Inkless Pen

This pen, which is often dark-colored to suit the aesthetics of shadowcasters, produces plain, black ink whenever used to write. This ink is not of sufficient quality to scribe scrolls or add spells to any spellbook other then a Boccob's blessed book

Faint Conjuration; CL 1; Craft Wonderous Item, liquid night*; Price 1000 gp**

*Fundamental mystery, see Tome of Magic chapter 2
**Priced as a use-activated item of a CL 1 cantrip

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-06, 01:43 AM
...so Its regular pen that never runs out of ink?

Collin152
2006-08-06, 01:45 AM
Seems like a rather pointless item. Might give it some erasing qualities.

Lucky
2006-08-06, 02:01 AM
Pointless? Than what would it right with?
Sorry...

Anyways, anyone who said it was pointless hasn't played anything that writes stuff down, ink isn't only expensive, but it also can weigh a lot when you're a wizard and strength is one of your dump stats. Definately an item that can be useful!

Though I agree with Colin about the erase feature, maybe add the ability to cast Erase?

\/ Better idea.

TheOOB
2006-08-06, 02:19 AM
I'd price it at 500gp, as a constant pretidigitation effect (which would create and erase writing) costs 1,000gp, and this is situational.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-06, 03:26 AM
Ink has negligible weight even if you're a wizard. The ounce is a measure of volume here, so 16 ink vials don't have to weigh a pound.

(Edited): Also, as a possible, but potentially overpowering, buff to the item, we could make it reduce the price of scribing spells into a spellbook if it is used.

Jarl
2006-08-06, 03:37 AM
This reminds me of that old story about how NASA spent, like, $10 million on designing and building a pen that would write in zero-g.

-The Russians used a pencil.

Squangos
2006-08-06, 04:37 AM
It should cost less, since it isn't cool glow-in-the-dark ink like Liquid Night makes… Though if it could make different colours of ink, like those 4-in-1 pens you can get, I'd spend a bit more and still be gleeful.

endoperez
2006-08-06, 05:03 AM
A good item. The simplest magical writing aid possible. It mightn't be as useful for adventurers as, say, short sword +1, but when you need a pen, you need a pen and not a short sword.

Peregrine
2006-08-06, 05:06 AM
A good item. The simplest magical writing aid possible. It mightn't be as useful for adventurers as, say, short sword +1, but when you need a pen, you need a pen and not a short sword.
"The pen is mightier than the sword." Oh I so need to do something with that theme now... some, I don't know, spell or feat or class or something that uses pens... like, a class where this pen is like a holy avenger to paladins... :D

Jarl
2006-08-06, 05:25 AM
I had a character (Interactive Story, no stats, sorry) who was the son of one of the Greek Muses and could draw things into existence with his giant pen (looked like a walking stick). It was fun, but he only spoke in rhyme, with was hard to do all the time (OMG!). He was also overpowered, as many of my characters were back then. :(

-I dunno how you'd replicate that in DnD. Epic-ish, maybe. He woulda had divine levels, no doubt, but I dunno how you'd replicate it for a non-god.