PDA

View Full Version : New one on me

Charity
2009-05-18, 03:14 AM
Here is one for you techno playgrounders.

My boss has just come in and told me his screen has gone sideways...
it starts up with the log in screen the right way round but when he logs in to windows the screen is 90 degrees out...

So anyone know why?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 03:20 AM
This can be solved easily, depending on what kind of computer he has.

A early version of windows(before XP) or a newer one?
Vista or Mac? Or something.

In the earlier versions of windows, youŽd have a program in the bar thingy where your time is also located. Its called graphics, something. Double click or right click on that, and you should get the program up to reverse it. Just that you do have to do it in 90 degrees turned screen.

Sorry for the vague instruction, its been a couple of months since I messed with those kind of computers in that way.

Charity
2009-05-18, 03:26 AM
Chears DD, it's an XP machine.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 03:40 AM
Hmmm, IŽve looked about abit, but found no easy answer.

Well, if thereŽs no tech guy close around, he can always put his screen on its side.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Charity
2009-05-18, 03:41 AM
First thing I suggested.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 03:44 AM
Heh.

Hmm, general thing google suggests is clicking on Desktop, going to Graphic Options and that it should stand there OR pressing Ctrl Alt (left, right, up or down) arrow.

Charity
2009-05-18, 03:58 AM
Cheers DD I'll suggest those.

Athaniar
2009-05-18, 04:20 AM
On at least most XPs I've tried, Alt Gr plus an arrow key turns the screen in that direction. Alt Gr plus Up should turn the screen the correct way.

Ashtar
2009-05-18, 04:41 AM
If the computer has got an Nvidia or Ati graphics card, it's possible that he activated the rotation function by accident. You will usually find the way to reset it in the Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced windows menu. To open this, just right click on the empty desktop and click Properties or open Display in the Control Panel.

Here's a screenshot of my machine's configuration possibilities on an ATI graphics card.
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9696/rotate.jpg

And an image of the rotate software on an Nvidia card:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/1215/15-win20.jpg

Charity
2009-05-18, 04:49 AM
On at least most XPs I've tried, Alt Gr plus an arrow key turns the screen in that direction. Alt Gr plus Up should turn the screen the correct way.

Heh.

Hmm, general thing google suggests is clicking on Desktop, going to Graphic Options and that it should stand there OR pressing Ctrl Alt (left, right, up or down) arrow.

Thanks Guys this has worked,
http://sendthemcookies.com/s/images/cookies_stacks2.jpg

Share DD, share.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-05-18, 04:54 AM
*OM NOM NOM*
*has nommed three cookies*

*leaves two for Xavius and Ashtar*

No problem, even though IŽm not really a techie.

Quincunx
2009-05-18, 05:38 AM
Excellent responses on the "how", but for the "why", I suggest that the IT department got bored. :smallwink:

Jimp
2009-05-18, 06:44 AM
There's also a keyboard shortcut. It's something like shift+alt+arrow key. Changing the rotation of all the screens in a computer lab is and old staple :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2009-05-19, 03:16 AM
Excellent responses on the "how", but for the "why", I suggest that the IT department got bored. :smallwink:

I think the cleaners did it by accident, the guy is always leaving his PC on overnight (given he's the MD you'd have thought he'd be more careful...)

Egiam
2009-05-19, 11:03 AM
The same thing happened to me.

Miklus
2009-05-19, 12:36 PM
LOL, I must remember this prank. Almost as good as taking a screenshot of the desktop and setting it as background..."Why won't that damn window go away when I click it???" :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-05-19, 12:40 PM
*eats a cookie*

Yum, cookie.

Jacklu
2009-05-19, 09:47 PM
>.<

This thread reminds me of my days working IT. It is amazing how many people can manage to rotate or even flip their screens by accident.

Alteran
2009-05-19, 09:56 PM
After learning here that I could rotate my screen using ctrl + alt + arrow key, I decided to try it. Hey, it worked! And then it wouldn't change back...

Thankfully right-clicking on the screen and going to the NVIDIA control panel let me change it back, but you guys nearly got me into a pretty big problem. :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2009-05-19, 09:58 PM
aww...it doesn't work on my desktop. :smallfrown:

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-20, 12:52 AM
On at least most XPs I've tried, Alt Gr plus an arrow key turns the screen in that direction. Alt Gr plus Up should turn the screen the correct way.Gr? I'm guessing this is Ctl on a non-english keyboard, but it's possible I'm just missing something.

potatocubed
2009-05-20, 01:48 AM
It's probably a US vs. European thing. My English keyboard (:smalltongue:) has an Alt Gr key to the right of the spacebar, opposite the normal Alt key.

Sadly, the screen flippy shortcut doesn't seem to work in Vista, thus relegating the Alt Gr key back to the heap of 'keys that don't actually do anything' along with Scroll Lock.

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-20, 04:10 AM
Mmkay, but what does "Gr" stand for? It's totally unimportant, but I'm insanely curious about this for some reason.

Quincunx
2009-05-20, 04:14 AM
On the European (and possibly other regions) keyboards, there are three characters per key: the normal numbers and letters, the shift-and-key capital letters and punctuation marks, and the Alt-Gr-and-key punctuation on the non-letter keys.

Alt Gr explained (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ALT+GR)

Zeb The Troll
2009-05-20, 04:30 AM
On the European (and possibly other regions) keyboards, there are three characters per key: the normal numbers and letters, the shift-and-key capital letters and punctuation marks, and the Alt-Gr-and-key punctuation on the non-letter keys.

Alt Gr explained (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ALT+GR)Well I'll be darned. I always wondered how so many people keep getting these odd characters in their usernames and such. Too bad the "pressing Ctl Alt does the same thing on US keyboards" thing is totally not true.