PDA

View Full Version : BotTT and Complex Spells

Alcopop
2009-05-18, 04:04 AM
Born of the Three Thunders is pretty obvious when it comes to things like lightning bolt, every one hit has to make a save or is stunned, but what about more complicated spells? ones that hit or trigger multiple times? would you only make the save once, or every time the spell hits? The same question goes for +X to spell damage abilities, when and when does it not trigger?

I throw the following spells up for consideration

Flame Whip (energy sub) (MiC)
Two 15ft 6d6 touch attacks every round

Moonbow (MiC)
1d4 "motes" of directable lightning

Storm touch (MoEb)
9d6 electric touch attack which you can use with BaB. CL in touches available.

Thunderhead (MiC)
1 lightning strike every round on target for 1 damage.

Your thoughts?

Quietus
2009-05-18, 04:12 AM
In general (and mind, this isn't RAW, as I don't have access to the book BotTT is in), I'd rule :

One save per spell, per turn. Even if it's a Magic Missile-style Electricity attack of some sort. This includes a full attack with an Energy Sub flame whip.

Any spell that automatically hits in later turns (like energy sub Melf's Acid Arrow) force a save only on the first turn

Any spell that requires an action be taken to use it (Call Lightning, for example) would force a save on every bolt.

Alcopop
2009-05-18, 08:40 AM
That ruling works I suppose, but is there anything official on this?

on a side note with moonbow, the effect says 1d4 motes but the description says a flat 3 @_@, anyone know which it is?

Douglas
2009-05-18, 08:44 AM
on a side note with moonbow, the effect says 1d4 motes but the description says a flat 3 @_@, anyone know which it is?
In the absence of errata, Text Trumps Table. When any summary line conflicts with the full description, the full description wins. Moonbow creates 3 motes.

Of course, if you can convince your DM otherwise that makes Moonbow a bit overpowered when you add Empower or Maximize.