PDA

View Full Version : The MitD's next actions (SPOILERS)

Kaytara
2009-05-18, 02:36 PM
Many of us have theorized that O-Chul's influence on the MitD will end up causing him to turn against Xykon eventually, but I think the last strip means a good chance that it will happen NOW rather than later.

Several reasons why this is likely or would be dramatically appropriate:
1) The MitD is clearly worried about O-Chul in the last panel. O-Chul just reminded him of the importance of thinking for himself and of distinguishing between true and false friends. It now seems increasingly unlikely that the MitD would just stand by idly while O-Chul gets torn to pieces by Team Evil.

2) As mentioned above, the MitD is encouraged to think for himself and make his own decisions. What is one thing he's been badly wanting to do for a long, long time, that he only hasn't done out of obedience to Xykon and Redcloak? He wants to get out of the dark, as the first panel here helpfully reminds us. It would be fitting if the MitD's first act of defiance were leaving the darkness and coming into the light.

3) Xykon's been waiting for the right moment to reveal the monstrous weapon that is the MitD, so that he could stomp the heroes into fine dust. And now, suppose the MitD reveals himself of his own accord, against Xykon? Awesome irony.

4) The "otherwise" part of the strip title refers to the MitD's non-steel cage, but probably also to the imaginary cage he has let Team Evil build around him by letting them make decisions for him. Possible build-up for a TRUE jailbreak?

5) A problem with the MitD's hidden identity was that the eventual revelation could not NOT be anticlimactic, because whatever he looks like cannot possibly measure up to the hype. Rich just solved this in an elegant way - he has already revealed what the MitD is - "a good man". This is what REALLY matters, so whatever the MitD is really revealed to be, it won't matter all that much anymore, and will not seem anticlimactic.

Thoughts? Is the Great Revelation coming?

ReluctantReaper
2009-05-18, 02:49 PM
I hope so I really want to see MItD beat up xykon or something

Shinizak
2009-05-18, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I personally believe that the MitD is going to have a serious call to action when O-Chul is killed...

Bat Bear
2009-05-18, 03:10 PM
There's going to have to be some conclusion soon, or the MITD and
O- Chul scenes would just be killing the tension from V's battle. I don't think that necessarily means he'll reveal himself, because there's always the possibility that he'll side with Xykon.

Optimystik
2009-05-18, 03:14 PM
I think
We're about to catch a glimpse - just a glimpse - of what it might be. Like a tail or claw or something. Or maybe it'll just shake the ground again. Either way, V might have a shot at escaping, though I don't see how.

I don't know whether it'll attack Xykon just yet - he'd probably be forced to plaster it if so, or activate his little present from SoD - but raging and bringing the tower down is a possibility.

shadzar
2009-05-18, 03:47 PM
I am pretty sure we are in a loopback of time. This strip happens at the same time the last one so O'Chul can act while everyone's attention is focused on V.

I feel that

with MitD calling O'Chul's name there will so be an end to this tower that Xykon brought out of the ground, and whoever remains with team evil and lives through the towers fall will be heading to the next gate or somewhere else. Not sure if MitD will stomp the tower down or shout it down, but pretty sure its coming down when MitD gets mad at whatever happens to O'Chul next!

David Argall
2009-05-18, 04:00 PM
It's too early to get rid of MitD, which is what revealing it will do. It may well play a part in this scene, but it will remain in the dark for at least another book.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-05-18, 04:14 PM
I personally think that he will try to reveal himself, but Xykon will see this and stop playing Mr. Fake-Nice-Guy.

Maybe. I dunno. If MiTD wanted to, he could just be like, "Yo Xykon, I'm gonna kill you with my flail arms. Blam blam."

Yes, he's the black ranger from Super Freakin' Parody Rangers.

Optimystik
2009-05-18, 04:56 PM
It's too early to get rid of MitD, which is what revealing it will do. It may well play a part in this scene, but it will remain in the dark for at least another book.

I agree, but showing a tail? Horn? Claw? Roaring? An energy blast of some kind? All those things would keep it in the dark, and if it was mad enough would likely destroy the tower, possibly averting V's demise.

DarkEternal
2009-05-18, 05:56 PM
I think O'chul will sacrifice himself for V, saving him with his godlike constitution just long enough for V to get his bearings and teleport/escape before dying. This will weigh heavily on V since he will consider O'chul dying his own fault, which coupled with all the other stuff he pulled off lately will be enough for him to go into despair which Belkar will surely put to good use in terms of constant mocking until the end of the comic/Belkar's death.

Harr
2009-05-18, 06:35 PM
I think O'chul will sacrifice himself for V, saving him with his godlike constitution just long enough for V to get his bearings and teleport/escape before dying.

V can't teleport now that the splice is over. If he wants to escape he's gonna have to run for it :smalleek:

theinsulabot
2009-05-18, 06:49 PM
V can't teleport now that the splice is over. If he wants to escape he's gonna have to run for it :smalleek:

V has evidently figured out a flight spell at some point, he was doing it before the splice. so if o-chul handed V a round or two alone, v could, theoretically, fly out of the tower, hit himself with invisibility, and get the hell out of dodge. it would take some luck on his part, X not getting moving quick enough to fly or cast after him or getting dispelled from redcloak.

that said, i think V is going to end up trying to fly off, getting hit by a dispel from RC, and getting pulled into a hidden area by the rebellion. then V might have a chance to do some good, have some time away from everyone he knows (well) and get his head straight, and maybe try to pull himself out of his downward spiral

Prak
2009-05-18, 07:42 PM
I think O'chul will sacrifice himself for V, saving him with his godlike constitution just long enough for V to get his bearings and teleport/escape before dying. This will weigh heavily on V since he will consider O'chul dying his own fault, which coupled with all the other stuff he pulled off lately will be enough for him to go into despair which Belkar will surely put to good use in terms of constant mocking until the end of the comic/Belkar's death.

well, that or Belkar will just say, "No, there's nothing funny about O'chul's death" and walk away hiding a smirk. Just to play up his "character development" and confuse the whole party.

silvadel
2009-05-18, 07:51 PM
I'd guess Ochul will do lay on hands on V and lift the boulder... Possibly while Xykon and friends are being distracted by the MiTD.