PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Dimension Door - Spring Attack

koeldflare
2009-05-18, 03:29 PM
Quick question playgrounders:

I recall seeing a feat a while ago that was made for any character who had dimension door as a SLA and Spring-Attack. It alllowed them to dimension door to the person, attack them, and dimension door back.

I can't seem to find this feat again, and I was wondering if someone could help me find it.

Thanks.

Eldariel
2009-05-18, 03:36 PM
Quick question playgrounders:

I recall seeing a feat a while ago that was made for any character who had dimension door as a SLA and Spring-Attack. It alllowed them to dimension door to the person, attack them, and dimension door back.

I can't seem to find this feat again, and I was wondering if someone could help me find it.

Thanks.

You can't get back with it (Dimension Door allows no movement after it), but Sun School [Complete Warrior] tactical feat allows a single attack after teleportation-effect like Dimension Door. Also, Telflammar Shadowlord [Unapproachable East] and Crinti Shadow Marauder [Shining South] both give you Shadow Pounce, which allows for a full attack after teleportation.

There are builds dedicated to "Teleport-by Attacks", most famous of which is definitely Chrono Legionnaire (http://web.archive.org/web/20071216030315/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-626146), but a single feat doesn't give you quite the kind of utility you're describing, at least not to my knowledge in one of the official 3.5 D&D sources.

koeldflare
2009-05-18, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I might have the ability mixed up in my head, but the sun school feat sounds familiar.

New question though: Does the Sun School feat allow you to ignore the restriction of dimension door, that sais you can't take any more actions after casting it?

Eldariel
2009-05-18, 03:45 PM
No. However, if you happen to use an ability other than Dimension Door (say, Greater Teleport or similar), that's of course a given.

Keld Denar
2009-05-18, 03:49 PM
Yes, but only insofar as it states. You get to make 1 attack after you Dim Door, so you better make it count!

Sun School, unfortuantely, requires the Flurry of Blows ability, which REQUIRES one level of Monk at least, unless your DM will allow you to use the Flurry of Strikes ability (Exotic Weapon Master, CWarrior) or the Snapkick feat (functions like Flurry, Tome of Battle) to qualify. Thats definitely not RAW though, and would require DM permission.

Chronos
2009-05-18, 04:08 PM
The Elocator (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm), one of the prestige classes from the Expanded Psionics Handbook, gets an ability called Dimension Spring Attack at 9th level that does what you want.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-18, 05:20 PM
Alternatively, there are swift action short distance teleports that you can use in addition to a regular move to get the effect of Spring Attack without having the feat: Knight's Move spell (Spell Compendium) and Travel Devotion feat (Complete Champion).

Eldariel
2009-05-18, 05:30 PM
Alternatively, there are swift action short distance teleports that you can use in addition to a regular move to get the effect of Spring Attack without having the feat: Knight's Move spell (Spell Compendium) and Travel Devotion feat (Complete Champion).

To add to that, Shadow Blink and Shadow Stride (ToB Shadow Hand maneuvers) also work for this. Travel Devotion is just movement, so it doesn't precisely work as it doesn't counteract Attacks of Opportunity; same with Quicksilver Motion and a number of other ToB maneuvers.

Psionics can also replicate this, with Chrono Legionnaire being the simplest example (Divert Teleport [XPH]+Inconstant Location [CPsi]), although Inconstant Location alone works too to a degree.

Stormageddon
2009-05-18, 05:46 PM
Duskblade would be good for this quicken spell + dimension door/hop.

Curmudgeon
2009-05-18, 07:26 PM
Travel Devotion is just movement, so it doesn't precisely work as it doesn't counteract Attacks of Opportunity; same with Quicksilver Motion and a number of other ToB maneuvers. It works fine (actually better than Spring Attack) if you Tumble while doing this extra movement.

PrismaticPIA
2009-05-18, 10:23 PM
There's a Conjurer variant that lets you teleport a short distance x times/day as an immediate action. (complete mage?)