PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster (Psionic Ranger Variant) PEACH

Serenity
2009-05-18, 04:11 PM
I have, as of late, been working on a D&D setting without arcane or divine casters, but incorporating Psionics and the Tome of Battle. To this end, the Ranger class required editing. My current thought on the matter is to have two variants available for play. One the Sublime Ranger found here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=738077). The other, I have devised as follows.

Beastmaster Ranger

Spells: The Beastmaster Ranger has no spellcasting.

Animal Companion: The Beastmaster Ranger gains an Animal Companion at first level. This is identical to the druid class ability of the same name, and the Animal Companion advances as if the Ranger were a druid of equivalent level.

Power Points: The Beastmaster Ranger gains Power Points per day as if he was a Psychic Warrior of two levels lower than his actual class. He gains additional power points per day, and determines the saving throws of his powers, based on Wisdom, just as a Psychic Warrior. Beastmaster Rangers gain no actual Powers Known from Beastmaster Ranger levels; however, the Power Points gained can be used to manifest powers from other sources (such as Psychic Warrior levels, or the Hidden Talent feat) and serve to power the Beastmaster Ranger’s Aspect of Nature class feature.
Psionically Gifted: If a Beastmaster Ranger multiclasses into a class which manifests powers, he can add ½ of his Beastmaster Ranger levels to his Manifester Level for the purposes of determining saves, power effects, and the amount of power points he

Aspect of Nature: At 5th level, the Beastmaster Ranger gains the ability to take on an Aspect of Nature, selected from the list which follows, by expending 4 Power Points. This is a standard action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The effects last for one minute per Beastmaster Ranger level. At 8th, 12th, and 16th level, he gains the ability to take on multiple Aspects simultaneously—two Aspects in a single attempt at level 8, three at level 12, and four at level 16. Taking on multiple aspects requires spending an additional 4 Power Points for each additional Aspect taken on.

List of Aspects:

Agility
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a +8 bonus to Dexterity but takes a -4 penalty to Strength. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 8th.

Aquatic
The Beastmaster Ranger grows gills, enabling her to breathe underwater (while retaining her ability to breathe air). Webbing between her fingers and her toes grants her a swim speed of 40 feet (or 30 feet if wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load) and a +8 bonus on her Swim checks.

Elemental Air
The Beastmaster Rangers body becomes gaseous (as the gaseous form spell, except that she can fly at a speed of 100 feet with perfect maneuverability and doesn't lose her supernatural abilities while in this form). While in this form, the Beastmaster Ranger has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning, as well as any other immunities provided by the gaseous form spell. The Beastmaster Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for agility and endurance. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 16th.

Elemental Earth
The Beastmaster Ranger's body becomes stony and rocklike. While in this form, the Beastmaster Ranger has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a slam attack that deals bludgeoning damage equal to a morningstar of the Beastmaster Ranger's size (1d8 for Medium Beastmaster Rangers, 1d6 for Small Beastmaster Rangers). Her natural armor bonus becomes +8 (replacing any other natural armor bonus the Beastmaster Ranger has, though enhancement bonuses to natural armor still apply normally). She also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beastmaster Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for endurance and vigor. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 16th.

Elemental FireThe Beastmaster Ranger's body bursts into flame. While in this form, the Beastmaster Ranger has immunity to fire, poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. In addition, any creature struck by the Beastmaster Ranger in melee (whether with a weapon, unarmed attack, or natural weapon) takes an extra 1d6 points of fire damage and must succeed on a Reflex save or catch fire for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 Beastmaster Ranger level + Beastmaster Ranger's Con modifier. Creatures hitting the Beastmaster Ranger with natural weapons or unarmed attacks while this aspect is in effect take 1d6 points of fire damage and also catch fire unless they succeed on the Reflex save noted above. The Beastmaster Ranger also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beastmaster Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for agility and endurance. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 16th.

Elemental Water
The Beastmaster Ranger's body becomes semifluid. While in this form, the Beastmaster Ranger gains a +10 bonus on Escape Artist checks, resistance to fire 10, and immunity to poison, steep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a swim speed of 90 feet and a +8 bonus on her Swim checks. Her touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of nonmagical origin if these are Large or smaller. The Beastmaster Ranger can dispel magical fire she touches as if she had cast greater dispel magic on it. She also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beastmaster Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for endurance and vigor. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 16th.

Endurance
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a +4 bonus to Constitution. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 8th.

Flight
The Beastmaster Ranger grows wings (feathery or batlike, at her option) that enable her to fly at a speed of 40 feet with average maneuverability (or 30 feet if wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load).

Plant
The Beastmaster Ranger's body becomes plantlike. While in this form, the Beastmaster Ranger gains a +10 bonus on Hide checks made in areas of forest, overgrowth, or similar terrain. She gains immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a slam attack that deals bludgeoning damage equal to a light mace of the Beastmaster Ranger's size (1d6 for Medium Beastmaster Rangers, 1d4 for Small Beastmaster Rangers). Her natural armor bonus becomes 4 (replacing any other natural armor bonus the Beastmaster Ranger has, though enhancement bonuses to natural armor still apply normally). She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for vigor. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 12th.

Poison
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a bite attack that deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage equal to a dagger of the Beastmaster Ranger's size (1d4 for a Medium Beastmaster Ranger, or 1d3 for a Small Beastmaster Ranger). In addition, the bite delivers a toxic venom (Fortitude save DC 10 + 1/2 Beastmaster Ranger's level + Beastmaster Ranger's Con modifier; initial and secondary damage 1d6 Con).

Scent
The Beastmaster Ranger gains the scent ability.

Speed
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a +30-foot enhancement bonus to her base land speed.

Tooth and Claw
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a primary bite attack (at her full base attack bonus) and two secondary claw attacks (at her base attack bonus -5 and adding only half her Strength bonus on damage rolls). The bite attack deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage equal to a short sword of the Beastmaster Ranger's size (1d6 for a Medium Beastmaster Ranger, or 1d4 for a Small Beastmaster Ranger), while the claws deal piercing and slashing damage equal to a dagger of the Beastmaster Ranger's size (1d4 for a Medium Beastmaster Ranger, or 1d3 for a Small Beastmaster Ranger).

Vigor
The Beastmaster Ranger gains a +8 bonus to Strength but takes a -4 penalty to Dexterity. Prerequisite: Beastmaster Ranger level 8th.

Beastmaster Rangers are otherwise identical to the Ranger class presented in the 3.5 Player’s Handbook.

(The Aspects of Nature ability is lifted almost directly from a Wild Shape variant found on the SRD.)

Thoughts?

Jesse Drake
2009-05-18, 05:32 PM
Hmmm... You haven't by chance seen my latest ranger on these boards have you? Heh, well, it works, but I personally like more "meat" in my classes, which is why I'm terrible with casters.

Serenity
2009-05-18, 06:43 PM
Haven't seen your ranger; I'll try to look it up. Anything you'd suggest adding? As far as meat, remember that he still has all the normal ranger abilities, unless otherwise noted.

Jesse Drake
2009-05-19, 11:27 AM
Indeed, then never mind, that works. Here's my character btw, a wild aspect xeph ranger, I just think it's a bit funny. Click this. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=126329)

What abilities are taken out, otherwise it's just too powerful. Remember, wild shape (aspect, which I'm using too) replaces style, and they shouldn't get spells. I love animal companions and always get one, but even I think it's coming too soon.

Serenity
2009-05-19, 12:16 PM
As I mention at the top, they get no spellcasting--no one does, in this world. If styles need to go, I can take them away. Sublime Rangers don't get them either but their Falling Star and Tiger Claw progression mean that they can manage both archery and TWF even better than a normal ranger, so making this one even more focused on his connection to the natural world is probably better. I might also consider switching Favored Enemies for Favored Terrain.

As for Animal Companion, I'm inclined to keep right on giving them full druid prgression. After all, he's not getting a druid's spell progression, or even a direct ability to manifest powers at all, and the Aspects of Nature is significantly less powerful than Wildshape. And a full Animal Companion fits with the concept of the class as a hunter psychically in tune with nature.

Jesse Drake
2009-05-19, 12:45 PM
I happen to disagree there, because a druid wildshaping doesn't get to keep their good stats or become more powerful versions of the animal, and so a boar shaped druid and his boar companion, the druid'd be at a significant advantage. Favored Terrain would be good, but maybe drop it for a psych-lock ability, which'd let them add their wisdom to their attack against an ememy they spend a free action to designate, like the 4e mark but different, this let's them pick one enemy and follow it's movements, using their supernatural powers as a way to hone in. Then, at level five, get a +2 bounus and you can target a second enemy, at 10 it become a +4 bonus and you can target a third enemy. Also, one thing that might be fun, since I think you should drop the weapon style anyways, why not drop armor and give a wis bonus to ac, since they are significantly more keen and mind-minded. That could represent an intuitive style of dodging, allowing more psychic flavor.

Serenity
2009-05-19, 01:12 PM
The power of a Wild-Shaping druid is that he can almost entirely dump his physical stats--what does he need a good Strength or Dexterity for when he can change into a Fleshraker dinosaur whenever he's about to go into combat? He can concentrate his points into Constitution and Wisdom and still be able to outfight the fighter and call down the mystical wrath of nature. The Beastmaster Ranger, on the other hand, needs a moderate-to-good score in all his physical stats, as his abilities are all oriented around front-line combat, without the benefit of a Warblade or Crusader's heavy armor, and he needs to pump his Wisdom to get the most use out of the Aspects of Nature class feature. Since it costs him Power Points to use, and he gets PP as a Psychic Warrior of two levels lower, if he doesn't have at least 14 Wisdom, he might not be able to use Aspects of Nature until the level after he gets it.

Both the Psychic Hunter and Wisdom to AC sound like good additions, though. If I give a flat scaling bonus to attack against marked enemies whenever he would gain a favored enemy bonus however, then at 20th level, he'd be getting BAB+STR+WIS+8 against five enemies. With 18 Wisdom and 14 Strength, just to pluck out some numbers, that'd be a Full Attack routine of +34/+29/+24/+19. A pretty significant improvement...though I suppose if they're using natural weapons from Aspects, they only get one attack with each natural weapon. Nonetheless, perhaps I should brainstorm other bonuses.

Jesse Drake
2009-05-19, 01:40 PM
Well then, we just have to realize we play different styles of druid, cause I use wild aspect over shape, unless I'm going for stealth or some other multiclass, and have good strength, good dragon hide armor, and a sturdy animal companion (dragon magazine had a feat that lets you get bonus when flanking with others with that feat. With the dvati druid...). That's just my preference, plus the druid spells supplement combat pretty well. (shillelagh) Then, if your goliath or half giant, it get's tough.

Serenity
2009-05-19, 01:49 PM
I've only played a few druids, personally. I'm just familiar with optimization theory, and the reason the druid is consistently placed into the top three. The Animal Companion is part of it, because it can outfight the fighter from the get go. It's also because Wild Shape and the Natural Spell feat allows the druid to also outfight the fighter, without investing in her physical stats, and be a full caster at the same time. Aspects of Nature are nifty, I don't deny it, but I'm quite certain they're less powerful than Wild Shape. The fact that Wild Shape replaces a druid's physical stats is a strength, not a drawback.

Remember, too, that I'm balancing the power of this ranger against Psions, Psychic Warriors, Pathfinder Barbarians, Rogues, and the Tome of Battle classes, all of whom are probably a cut above the standard ranger.

Jesse Drake
2009-05-19, 05:30 PM
Well, I do like it, personal qualms aside, and if you added more of a psychic feel to it (wisdom boost) I'd like it more. With weapon finesse, this could make a beautiful psychic class, I think you could add a few more power points, one feat at every five levels (or maybe four), and drop the rest of the ranger features, except track at first, I'd say this could be even better. Rename it Psychic Hunter or Beast Mind or something cool. As I said, it could become more than a ranger variant. Oh yes, far more.

Serenity
2009-05-19, 06:22 PM
Oh, I like them, or I wouldn't be using them. I just think they don't skew the power level as much as Wild Shape would.

I think we'd want to leave him Wild Empathy as well...maybe add an ability to speak with and/or charm animals. I think a lot of other later class features, like Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Camouflage, and Hide in Plain Sight also all fit the theme very well. Perhaps restrict them slightly by requiring the expenditure of Psionic Focus or possessing a minimum number of power points to use them?

So, for the Hunter's Instinct marking ability...rather than adding flat bonuses to attack, what else could we do? Perhaps at 5th level, marked enemies wouldn't count in determining whether the Beastmaster/Psychic Hunter was flanked, as if he had Improved Uncanny Dodge. Then we'd just need to work out mark bonuses for 10th, 15th, and 20th levels...perhaps bump Evasion up to 10th level as a benefit against marked enemies? Admittedly, the flat bonus to attack is the simplest to implement, but I worry that it's too good.

Jesse Drake
2009-05-19, 06:32 PM
I like, and you could do ignore cover, like a psychic lo-jack maneuver, or a dodge bonus to AC (or give dodge as one of the class abilities, or even instead of endurance, since the feat is obsolete without armor).

Serenity
2009-05-20, 02:35 AM
Mitigating or negating concealment would probably be a better fit. Perhaps cap it off with True Seeing on marked opponents? Having some bonus relating to attacks of opportunity would also seem appropriate at some point...

Serenity
2009-05-22, 12:37 PM
A revised version. Is it too much?

Beast Mind Ranger

Class Skills: The Beast Mind Ranger adds Concentration and Knowledge (Psionics) to his list of class skills.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Beast Mind Ranger does not gain proficiency with any armor or shields. His proficiencies are otherwise as described in the Ranger entry in the Player’s Handbook 3.5.

Spells: The Beast Mind Ranger gains no spellcasting.

Power Points: The Beast Mind Ranger gains Power Points per day as if he was a Psychic Warrior of two levels lower than his actual class. He gains additional power points per day, and determines the saving throws of his powers, based on Wisdom, just as a Psychic Warrior. Beast Mind Rangers gain no actual Powers Known from Beast Mind Ranger levels; however, the Power Points gained can be used to manifest powers from other sources (such as Psychic Warrior levels, or the Hidden Talent feat) and serve to power the Beast Mind Ranger’s Aspect of Nature class feature.

Psionically Gifted: If a Beast Mind Ranger multiclasses into a class which manifests powers, he can add ½ of his Beast Mind Ranger levels to his Manifester Level for the purposes of determining saves, power effects, and the amount of power points he can spend on a single power.

Animal Companion: The Beast Mind Ranger gains an Animal Companion at 1st level. This is identical to the druid class ability of the same name, and the Animal Companion advances as if the Ranger were a druid of equivalent level.

Favored Enemy: The Beast Mind gains no favored enemies.

Intuitive Defense: The Beast Mind Ranger has honed his physical and psychic senses to a keen, preternatural awareness of his surroundings. As long as he has at least one power point remaining, he adds his Wisdom bonus to his AC when he is unarmored and unencumbered.

Psychic Hunter: The Beast Mind Ranger is a hunter without peer; he learns to psychically ‘lock on’ to his prey, and to track them by the psychic impressions they leave behind. At 1st level, the Beast Mind Ranger gains the once per encounter ability to psychically ‘mark’ a single target within 60 ft. to whom he has a direct line of sight. This is a swift action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Alternatively, the Ranger may choose to ‘mark’ a target outside the normal range of the ability. This requires a minute of uninterrupted concentration, during which he must hold a description of the target in his mind, and expend his psionic focus. The target then makes a Will save, DC 10+Ranger’s Level+Ranger’s Wisdom modifier, modified by the factor’s listed under the Remote Viewing power (except that the subject being on another plane causes the ability to fail.) Against a marked opponent, a Beast Mind Ranger may add his Wisdom Bonus to attack rolls, and grants him a +2 insight bonus to all Survival checks made to track the marked opponent. At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, the Beast Mind Ranger may designate an additional mark when using this ability., and the insight bonus to tracking improves by a further +2. Thus, a 20th level Beast Mind ranger may designate up to five marked targets, gaining a +10 insight bonus to tracking them. While a mark persists, the Beast Mind Ranger is considered that many marks down when using this ability. For example, a 5th level Beast Mind who has set a mark earlier in the day which still persists encounters a pair of wolves. He may only use his Psychic Hunter ability to mark one of them, unless he first takes a swift action to dismiss the earlier mark. A mark is automatically dismissed when the marked target dies. All marks are automatically dismissed if the Beast Mind Ranger runs out of power points.

Combat Styles: The Beast Mind does not gain the Combat Style class feature of the standard ranger.

Uncanny Dodge: A Beast Mind Ranger gains the Uncanny Dodge ability at 2nd level. If he already has Uncanny Dodge from another class, he gains improved Uncanny Dodge instead.

Aspect of Nature: At 5th level, the Beast Mind Ranger gains the ability to take on an Aspect of Nature, selected from the list which follows, by expending 4 Power Points. At 8th, 12th, and 16th level, he gains the ability to take on multiple Aspects simultaneously—two Aspects in a single attempt at level 8, three at level 12, and four at level 16. Taking on multiple aspects requires spending an additional 4 Power Points for each additional Aspect taken on.

List of Aspects:

Agility
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a +8 bonus to Dexterity but takes a -4 penalty to Strength. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 8th.

Aquatic
The Beast Mind Ranger grows gills, enabling her to breathe underwater (while retaining her ability to breathe air). Webbing between her fingers and her toes grants her a swim speed of 40 feet (or 30 feet if wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load) and a +8 bonus on her Swim checks.

Elemental Air
The Beast Mind Rangers body becomes gaseous (as the gaseous form spell, except that she can fly at a speed of 100 feet with perfect maneuverability and doesn't lose her supernatural abilities while in this form). While in this form, the Beast Mind Ranger has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning, as well as any other immunities provided by the gaseous form spell. The Beast Mind Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for agility and endurance. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 16th.

Elemental Earth
The Beast Mind Ranger's body becomes stony and rocklike. While in this form, the Beast Mind Ranger has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a slam attack that deals bludgeoning damage equal to a morningstar of the Beast Mind Ranger's size (1d8 for Medium Beast Mind Rangers, 1d6 for Small Beast Mind Rangers). Her natural armor bonus becomes +8 (replacing any other natural armor bonus the Beast Mind Ranger has, though enhancement bonuses to natural armor still apply normally). She also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beast Mind Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for endurance and vigor. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 16th.

Elemental Fire
The Beast Mind Ranger's body bursts into flame. While in this form, the Beast Mind Ranger has immunity to fire, poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. In addition, any creature struck by the Beast Mind Ranger in melee (whether with a weapon, unarmed attack, or natural weapon) takes an extra 1d6 points of fire damage and must succeed on a Reflex save or catch fire for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 Beast Mind Ranger level + Beast Mind Ranger's Con modifier. Creatures hitting the Beast Mind Ranger with natural weapons or unarmed attacks while this aspect is in effect take 1d6 points of fire damage and also catch fire unless they succeed on the Reflex save noted above. The Beast Mind Ranger also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beast Mind Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for agility and endurance. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 16th.

Elemental Water
The Beast Mind Ranger's body becomes semifluid. While in this form, the Beast Mind Ranger gains a +10 bonus on Escape Artist checks, resistance to fire 10, and immunity to poison, steep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a swim speed of 90 feet and a +8 bonus on her Swim checks. Her touch puts out torches, campfires, exposed lanterns, and other open flames of nonmagical origin if these are Large or smaller. The Beast Mind Ranger can dispel magical fire she touches as if she had cast greater dispel magic on it. She also gains damage reduction 10/magic. The Beast Mind Ranger cannot cast spells while this aspect is in effect. She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for endurance and vigor. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 16th.

Endurance
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a +4 bonus to Constitution. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 8th.

Flight
The Beast Mind Ranger grows wings (feathery or batlike, at her option) that enable her to fly at a speed of 40 feet with average maneuverability (or 30 feet if wearing medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load).

Plant
The Beast Mind Ranger's body becomes plantlike. While in this form, the Beast Mind Ranger gains a +10 bonus on Hide checks made in areas of forest, overgrowth, or similar terrain. She gains immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. She gains a slam attack that deals bludgeoning damage equal to a light mace of the Beast Mind Ranger's size (1d6 for Medium Beast Mind Rangers, 1d4 for Small Beast Mind Rangers). Her natural armor bonus becomes 4 (replacing any other natural armor bonus the Beast Mind Ranger has, though enhancement bonuses to natural armor still apply normally). She can't combine this aspect with any other aspect except for vigor. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 12th.

Poison
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a bite attack that deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage equal to a dagger of the Beast Mind Ranger's size (1d4 for a Medium Beast Mind Ranger, or 1d3 for a Small Beast Mind Ranger). In addition, the bite delivers a toxic venom (Fortitude save DC 10 + 1/2 Beast Mind Ranger's level + Beast Mind Ranger's Con modifier; initial and secondary damage 1d6 Con).

Scent
The Beast Mind Ranger gains the scent ability.

Speed
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a +30-foot enhancement bonus to her base land speed.

Tooth and Claw
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a primary bite attack (at her full base attack bonus) and two secondary claw attacks (at her base attack bonus -5 and adding only half her Strength bonus on damage rolls). The bite attack deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage equal to a short sword of the Beast Mind Ranger's size (1d6 for a Medium Beast Mind Ranger, or 1d4 for a Small Beast Mind Ranger), while the claws deal piercing and slashing damage equal to a dagger of the Beast Mind Ranger's size (1d4 for a Medium Beast Mind Ranger, or 1d3 for a Small Beast Mind Ranger).

Vigor
The Beast Mind Ranger gains a +8 bonus to Strength but takes a -4 penalty to Dexterity. Prerequisite: Beast Mind Ranger level 8th.

Psychic Parry: A Beast Mind Ranger’s supernatural awareness makes him difficult to catch unguarded as he learns to anticipate strikes. Against a marked opponent, a Beast Mind Ranger gains a +2 insight bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity. This bonus stacks with the Beast Mind’s AC bonus from his Wisdom modifier.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: The Beast Mind Ranger gains Improved Uncanny Dodge at 6th level. If he already had Uncanny Dodge from another class, and gained Improved Uncanny Dodge at his second Ranger level, the class that granted him Uncanny Dodge stacks with his Beast Mind levels for determining the level opponents need to be to flank him.

Psychic Evasion: A Beast Mind does not gain the Evasion ability at 9th level. Instead, at 10th level, he gains Evasion against marked opponents (or Improved Evasion, if he already had the Evasion class feature from another class.)

Psychic Sight: At 15th level, a Beast Mind Ranger has so honed his supernatural awareness of his prey that he can hunt it by sixth sense alone. He perceives marked opponents as if he was under the effects of the True Seeing power.

Psychic Riposte: At 20th level, the Beast Mind has mastered his hunter’s instinct. In combat, he knows his prey better than they know themselves, and can use that knowledge to lure them into errors. When a marked enemy makes an attack of opportunity against the Beast Mind Ranger, they provoke an attack of opportunity from the Beast Mind Ranger in turn. This attack of opportunity resolves after the provoking attack is resolved. If a Beast Mind attempts to trip or disarm an opponent with his Psychic Riposte, he gains a +10 circumstance bonus, and may add his Wisdom modifier to checks to resolve the trip or disarm attempt. The Beast Mind takes no size penalties to his checks for such attempts. If a trip or disarm attempt using Psychich Riposte fails, the opponent may not make a trip or disarm attempt in response.

Beast Mind Rangers are otherwise identical to the Ranger class presented in the 3.5 Player’s Handbook.

Serenity
2009-05-25, 02:31 PM
Could I please get some feedback on my revised version there?

Human Paragon 3
2009-05-25, 06:38 PM
Just a thought: why not take the psychic warrior and replace the bonus feats with Combat Style and Favored Enemy? Or with Favored Enemy, Woodland Stride, Track, Camouflage, and HIPS?

You could have favored enemy bonus apply to save DC of their powers, too. I would either make it 1/2 the bonus.

As for all the elemental stuff you have teamed up with the psionics, I would dump that, or make new psionic powers to add to the beast mind's power list.

Also, see Fax's Hunter class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48591) for a take on the psionic ranger/scout.