PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever

mikeejimbo
2009-05-18, 05:00 PM
I had a dream the other night. The year was 2050 or so, and computers were pretty much the same as they had been, although new connectors were used, new programs were developed, and things were mostly improved.

Duke Nukem Forever was still in production, though.

Winthur
2009-05-18, 05:02 PM
And there was much rejoicing.

factotum
2009-05-19, 02:08 AM
Duke Nukem Forever was still in production, though.

You missed the news that 3D Realms went bust a couple of weeks ago, then?

Innis Cabal
2009-05-19, 02:21 AM
He said it was a dream

mikeejimbo
2009-05-19, 11:07 PM
He said it was a dream

Yeah, no context was given really, all I knew was that Duke Nukem Forever wasn't out, but surely "would be soon." Or something, I dunno. I don't really care about Duke Nukem Forever, I just thought it was funny that by 2050 people hadn't given up on it.

Edit: And I mean, the fact that 3DRealms closed makes it even funnier.

It's like "HEY! Just because we're gone doesn't mean the project is dead!"
"Um yes, it really does"
"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Optimystik
2009-05-20, 01:46 AM
The Duke Nukem Forever List (http://duke.a-13.net/)

Things that took less time than DNF's development. Read it and weep.

MCerberus
2009-05-20, 02:05 AM
I imagine that some developer will get the rights to the game as it is. They will, in turn, fail to produce a finished product. The new studio will eventually go under. This process will repeat and Duke Nukem will become a dark cursed entity known as the kiss of death.

Kind of like those restaurants you see driving down the road that change owners ever 2 months.

factotum
2009-05-20, 02:33 AM
Kind of like those restaurants you see driving down the road that change owners ever 2 months.

Wow! I've never seen a restaurant driving down the road...do you have to match speeds to book a table, or something? :smallbiggrin:

revolver kobold
2009-05-20, 02:41 AM
Wow! I've never seen a restaurant driving down the road...do you have to match speeds to book a table, or something? :smallbiggrin:

That just made my day. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Avilan the Grey
2009-05-20, 07:40 AM

What I want to know is how do you know if they change owner? Driver, ok, but owner??

...It seems that DNF has been picked up already (no I don't have a link :( ). My bet is that the game all of a sudden will be developed within a year.
The problem with 3D Realms and Duke was that they were so focused on making it so AWESOME that they had to start over all the time.

DigoDragon
2009-05-20, 10:05 AM
What I want to know is how do you know if they change owner? Driver, ok, but owner??

Well, occasionally you might get lucky and see the "under new management sign" or see the photo of the manager behind the front counter get switched with someone else.

Or maybe MCerberus is clarvoyant?

Duxus
2009-05-20, 10:26 AM
Did you watched the "in-game" video, they have released? After 12 years, what is that?
I really had hope, somewhere very deep inside me for that game; but now, it's gone (ok, maybe not "gone"! but definitely, now it's even deeper! (= )

MCerberus
2009-05-20, 01:00 PM
Honestly who would have thought semantics jokes would have arisen in a Duke Nukem thread?

chiasaur11
2009-05-20, 02:57 PM
The Duke Nukem Forever List (http://duke.a-13.net/)

Things that took less time than DNF's development. Read it and weep.

XKCD provided an update.

Fun fact: Valve's entire library came out in that timespread.