PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Can you hear the voices?

Zeal
2006-08-05, 01:42 AM
Sluagh

Tiny Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12 (12 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 10ft (good)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Size, +3 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-7
Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d2 damage)
Full Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d2 damage)
Space/Reach: 2ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Pacifism, Undead Traits, Spell-like abilites
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con --, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +12
Feats: -
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Sluagh appear as a tiny, willowy, decayed body with tattered moth wings. Originally Pixies or other small mischievous fey, Sluagh are animated by the need for mischief. However, unlike the living versions of the fey it so darkly resembles, Sluagh pranks are rarely harmless.

Sluagh speak any languages they knew in life

Combat

Sluagh will try and conceal themslves, masking dangerous locations with illusions, and misdirecting opponents with clever illusions.

Pacifism (Ex)
If a Slaugh deals direct damage to a creature, The Slaugh begin to lose HP. The round after they attack, subtract one quarter of their total health, rounding up, until they are destroyed.

Spell-Like Abilities
1/Day- Minor Image, Mirror Image, Hallucinatory Terrain
At will- Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, Lullaby, Silent Image, Disguise Self, Sleep, Caster Level 5th The Save DCs are Charisma-based

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 01:48 AM
You might want to specify that Pacifism rounds up, otherwise you'l never kill anyone with it. Diminishing returns and all that.

Brickwall
2006-08-05, 01:49 AM
Wow. I can see this thing driving a whole town to death and/or worse. And doing that to a party who makes a bad save or two. Major Image does NOT belong to a CR2 creature.

Zeal
2006-08-05, 01:52 AM
Fixed the Pacifism problem, I think.

Changed Major image to Minor Image.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-05, 08:31 AM
Though I like the concept... I'm just reeeeally not sure about the whole 'animated by mischief' bit.

Why exactly would mischief bring someone back from the dead? Usually the dead only come back because someone uses a spell or they have such overpowering emotions or psychosises... psychosen... psychosi? that their spirits refuse to just die.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 11:12 AM
psychosises... psychosen... psychosi?
Psychoses is the correct plural. ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-05, 11:14 AM
Psychoses is the correct plural. ;)

Its like banana, you just never know when to stop.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 12:00 PM
Its like banana, you just never know when to stop.
Or anemone! anemonemonemonemone...

Yeah, you can't tell my mom's a librarian, can you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-05, 12:09 PM
Or anemone! anemonemonemonemone...

Yeah, you can't tell my mom's a librarian, can you.
Heh, both my parents were at one time ;)

That was where they met actually and the head librarian is who got my Dad to ask my Mom out. Still a cause for snickering amongst my family.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 12:21 PM
Heh, both my parents were at one time ;)

That was where they met actually and the head librarian is who got my Dad to ask my Mom out. Still a cause for snickering amongst my family.
VT, you and I, sometimes...I dunno. Long-lost second cousins twice removed or something.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-05, 12:29 PM
VT, you and I, sometimes...I dunno. Long-lost second cousins twice removed or something.
Hehe, never know... but then again as far as I know not one single member of my family for several generations back live west of the Missouri river ;)

*stops hijacking Haj's thread now*

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 12:34 PM
Back on topic, how do I kill one without dying if I'm a monk?

That is to say, "Any creature touched by..." is too general. Perhaps "Any creature hit by a touch attack or grappled by the Sluagh...". Nevermind, you already fixed that.

Another thing: Perhaps an increasingly difficult save on the Pacifism ability. As it stands, it's sort of a a fire-and-forget unsaveable-against finger-of-death. All this thing really has to do is touch everybody in the party once, and then run away. Perhaps even ambushing, hitting one, fleeing, and then ambushing later to get another one, fleeing again (lather, rinse, repeat). Try starting it against a DC 18 Will save, then for each failed save, the DC increases by 1. However, making the save stops the process.

Zeal
2006-08-05, 02:53 PM
Oh dear, that is worded poorly.
I was trying to create a Pacifist undead, not very successfully, it seems.

Also, if you have any suggestions to what would animate an undead pixie or such, fire away.

kailin
2006-08-05, 02:58 PM
Umm, VT & FC, I think he means that the Sluagh takes damage from its Pacifism ability.

Because it's a pacifist.

It's only supposed to do indirect damage through mischief, and quickly dies if it ever makes a direct attack. [SIMU'D!] In fact, I see he just clarified that.

So there ya go.

I'm just concerned that with its moderate suite of illusion SLAs, the Sluagh won't be able to do any real indirect damage against a level 2 party. It can make decent ambushes by hiding hazards under illusions, but is that enough? Maybe it should have some enchantment powers, too? Charm person or hypnotism can go a long way.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-05, 03:19 PM
AHA IT MAKES SENSE NOW.

You're doing what I challenged VT to do. Nice.

Perhaps I'll make a [Challenge] thread for strange and esoteric creatures...