PDA

View Full Version : Potted fern? Seriously?

GSFB
2009-05-18, 10:38 PM
So... why would Xykon have a potted fern?

And yes, I assume it was Xykon's, not Redcloak's. Redcloak is very well versed in things like traps and wards, and would have seen the inherent danger in such a situation. He would never have wanted a fern because of the dire tactical danger it (obviously) presented.

So we must assume it was there because Xykon insisted.

Old softy has (er... had...) green thumbs?

Kyouhen
2009-05-18, 10:42 PM
Who says they didn't find it back in the tower full of good critters they raided? :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-05-18, 10:43 PM
The plant is there incase any druids show up, so Xykon can have a hostage.

Trizap
2009-05-18, 10:43 PM
potted fern? where is this potted fern of which you speak?

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-18, 10:49 PM
Maybe it was a carnivorous potted fern.

It would be like Xykon to enjoy something like that.

:xykon: - Hey minion, have you watered my totally harmless pot plants yet?

Minion - I'll do it now Lord Xykon... ahhhh!!!

:xykon: - Heh, pots plants do make for a nicer working environment.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-05-18, 11:00 PM
:xykon: - Heh, pots plants do make for a nicer working environment.

Indeed they do! :smallwink:

Too bad I'm subject to random testing, and cannot indulge.

JJ48
2009-05-18, 11:10 PM
potted fern? where is this potted fern of which you speak?

I, as well, could stand some clarification of this topic.

Kornaki
2009-05-18, 11:16 PM
I'll tell you about the time, back in the day, when a dozen druids jumped out of our potted fern.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-18, 11:21 PM
So... why would Xykon have a potted fern?

And yes, I assume it was Xykon's, not Redcloak's. Redcloak is very well versed in things like traps and wards, and would have seen the inherent danger in such a situation. He would never have wanted a fern because of the dire tactical danger it (obviously) presented.

So we must assume it was there because Xykon insisted.

Old softy has (er... had...) green thumbs?

:smalltongue: It was either the fern or a lava lamp.

RTGoodman
2009-05-18, 11:36 PM
Maybe they've got a new Druid or Ranger on Team Evil? For entangling purposes (http://antiheroescomic.com/comic/27)?

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-19, 12:02 AM
Maybe they've got a new Druid or Ranger on Team Evil? For entangling purposes (http://antiheroescomic.com/comic/27)?

Oooo... maybe Leeky has taken an entry level position?

Now V is really in trouble!

Mannryu
2009-05-19, 01:22 AM
That plant is actually an Ancient Potted Fern and has hidden arcane powers that surpass both V and Xykon together! It's just acting as a normal plant so that someday, when the time is right, it will attack and rule the world!!

Yea it shows that I just woke up. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2009-05-19, 01:32 AM
That plant is actually an Ancient Potted Fern and has hidden arcane powers that surpass both V and Xykon together! It's just acting as a normal plant so that someday, when the time is right, it will attack and rule the world!!

Hey, or it could be like the famed Psionic Sandwich (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-592735)!

Hmph, I think I should edit my original mind-switch thread. The most optimal way to gain a body permanently is no longer true mind switch. It's to use astral seed + mind switch + psychic chirurgery. The result is an XP expendature of 0 XP, that's right zero. You lose no levels, and you gain all the effects of true mind switch.

Anyways, so in lieu of what I just said above, the most optimal way to create the most un-optimal character is to use the following sequence and build:

Race: Elan
Build: Telepath 20
Feats: Any, must have EK(Astral Seed) and skill focus (craft [basket weaving])

1. Acquire a loaf of bread (2cp)
2. Turn the bread into a sandwich (craft DC 5) (probably 2 minutes)
3. Polymorph the sandwich (preferably ham with mustard, pepperoni, salami, and jalapenos) into a fuzzy little bunny. (NPC casting 1200 gp) (1 standard action)
4. Cast astral seed (10 minutes)
5. Ritualistically slay yourself with favored method of suicide. Be sure to place your storage crystal next to the sandwich turned bunny. (I prefer to be killed with a dagger to the heart... :shifty: ) (Approximately 5 rounds)
6. Use mind-switch (the 6th level power) to switch with the rabbit, while in your storage crystal. (1 std action)
7. Metamorph into a troll and smash your storage crystal (now containing the mind of a sandwich). (2 standard actions)
8. Use psychic chirurgery to remove your negative level gotten from committing suicide. (10 minutes)
9. Dismiss your metamorphosis and manifest dispel psionics on yourself (to dispel the polymorph). (2 standard actions)

Congratulations, your ascention to the sublime state of a sandwich took:
23 minutes 6 seconds and costed you 1200.02 gold pieces.

Any one have a more optimal method?

Now, it occurred to me that this might not be a half bad character to play. So long as you pick up the power psionic overland flight and tweak your character levels a bit, you could seriously play a sandwich. Of course your hitpoints or AC wouldn't be much to speak of... but honestly, who is going to kill the sandwich that the fighter packs.

derfenrirwolv
2009-05-19, 01:43 AM
Its a fiendish druid plot.

You sell the goblin mooks a potter fern cheap, they take it back to the throne room. You have a potted fern in your shop, you cast treestride, and waltz right into the enemy lair.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/treeStride.htm

PId6
2009-05-19, 01:49 AM
Ugh, I must be blind because I really can't find a potted fern anywhere. Hint? :smallconfused:

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-19, 02:55 AM
Ugh, I must be blind because I really can't find a potted fern anywhere. Hint? :smallconfused:

We don't ever see it. Redcloak merely mentions it as an event that occured "back in the day" in strip #652 as an example of people coming out of nowhere to kill you.

It is in response to Jirix asking "What the hell is going on?!?"

JJ48
2009-05-19, 04:42 AM
We don't ever see it. Redcloak merely mentions it as an event that occured "back in the day" in strip #652 as an example of people coming out of nowhere to kill you.

THANK you! Now was that so hard?

Zherog
2009-05-19, 09:19 AM
THANK you! Now was that so hard?

Kornaki linked to it and everything back in post #8...

PId6
2009-05-19, 09:23 AM
Kornaki linked to it and everything back in post #8...
I looked through that page five times looking for it. And the ones directly before and after it. Didn't find it. Yeah, didn't think it would be in the text. :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2009-05-19, 12:27 PM
I looked through that page five times looking for it. And the ones directly before and after it. Didn't find it. Yeah, didn't think it would be in the text. :smalltongue:

I too am pissed about that.:smallmad:

David Argall
2009-05-19, 01:58 PM

Which of course suggests it happened well before Jirix got the pleasure of meeting Team Evil, quite possibly in the days of SoD Xykon [then alive and maybe more interested in plants] and Redcloak attacked a forest, using a goblin army. Some druids hearing of the invasion might have tried to cut out the commanders of the enemy army.

badam104172
2009-05-21, 02:56 PM
its there for humor. its not a major discussion point

Dr. Cthulwho
2009-05-21, 11:23 PM
Xykon [then alive and maybe more interested in plants] and Redcloak attacked a forest, using a goblin army. Some druids hearing of the invasion might have tried to cut out the commanders of the enemy army.

That's a good sounding theory.

Lizard Lord
2009-05-21, 11:41 PM
its there for humor. its not a major discussion point

It is now.

ericgrau
2009-05-22, 03:22 AM
Can't let a few hippy druids get in the way of setting out house plants for your evil lair. The druids fry like everyone else anyway.

Borris
2009-05-22, 04:09 AM
My party often used the same trick in reverse in a previous campaign. Since there was no arcane caster and no cleric in the party, no one coud cast teleport (or even dimension door) to get us out of trouble when a raid in a dungeon turned out bad.

We'd always carry a few Quaal's Feather Token (tree) to pop an oak tree in the middle of a dungeon and escape with transport via plants if necessary.

Scarlet Knight
2009-05-22, 11:04 AM
Can't let a few hippy druids get in the way of setting out house plants for your evil lair. The druids fry like everyone else anyway.

Dear Skelly dude,

Sorry we were so harsh with you. To ensure some positive vibes, we are sending you this plant to decorate your pad. It's definitely NOT for smoking, man.

Peace!

The Druids :smallsmile:

SadisticFishing
2009-05-22, 11:18 AM
Oh no, not again.

Linkavitch
2009-05-22, 12:17 PM
I thought this would be a link to a TvTrope or something, like the one time Reddie had a Lampshade hung up.

Zael Zuran
2009-05-22, 02:26 PM
Considering Xykon can't taste, touch, or smell anymore I'd have to assume he kept it for the same reason he kept the crown.

He must have thought it (most likely the pot) looked cool. The fern was probably already there.

Aside from mayhem, the only thing that Xykon seems to take enjoyment from is visual pleasure. (in his case, coolness and misfortune happening to others)

Shatteredtower
2009-05-22, 06:25 PM
Yeah, didn't think it would be in the text. :smalltongue:

Wait... you're suggesting there's a non-text element to this series?

Nice reference, SadisticFishing.