PDA

View Full Version : [House/Feat] The Natural Spell fix

jdrich
2006-08-03, 05:31 PM
Natural Spell

Prerequisites

Wis 13, wild shape ability or [shapechanger] subtype, caster level 3rd.

Benefit

Select any three spells that you know and can cast.

You can complete the verbal and somatic components of the selected spells while in a shapeshifted form. You substitute various noises and gestures for the normal verbal and somatic components of a spell.

You can also use any material components or focuses you possess, even if such items are melded within your current form. This feat does not permit the use of magic items while you are in a form that could not ordinarily use them, and you do not gain the ability to speak while in a wild shape.

Special

This feat can be taken more than once. Each time you take this feat, it applies to new spells.

Natural Spell [Metamagic]

Prerequisites

Wis 13, wild shape ability or [shapechanger] subtype.

Benefit

A Natural Spell can be cast even while in a Wild Shape or a shapeshifted form. You substitute the verbal and somatic components of the spell with various vocalizations and patterned gestures if your altered form does not have the capacity for normal spellcasting.

You can also use any material components or focuses you possess, even if such items are melded within your current form. This feat does not permit the use of magic items while you are in a form that could not ordinarily use them, and you do not gain the ability to speak while in a wild shape.

A natural spell takes up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Spells that have been augmented by this feat take longer to cast due to the nature of the vocalizations and gestures involved in the casting. A spell with a casting time of one swift action now takes a standard action. All other spells take one full round action. Spells with a casting time longer than a full round action cannot be augmented by this spell.

Natural Spell [Metamagic]

Prerequisites

Wis 13, wild shape ability or [shapechanger] subtype.

Benefit

A Natural Spell can be cast even while in a Wild Shape or a shapeshifted form. You substitute the verbal and somatic components of the spell with various vocalizations and patterned gestures if your altered form does not have the capacity for normal spellcasting.

A natural spell takes up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-03, 05:57 PM
I personally like options 2 and 3, really, though I think if you were to use them in conjunction I'd call option 3 "Improved Natural Spell" and make it a feat that lowered the time spent casting to standard time.

NullAshton
2006-08-03, 05:59 PM
How about just changing wildshape? Make it so you can't use any magic items, period. Even if you take them off and put them back on again.

jdrich
2006-08-03, 07:08 PM
How about just changing wildshape? Make it so you can't use any magic items, period. Even if you take them off and put them back on again.

In my opinion, Wildshape is just silly. Having clothes and stuff like that meld into your body is foolish.

Which is why, in my campaign, Wildshape doesn't work that way. ;D

But in 3.5 core, that's how it works.

This feat is for allowing druids to cast spells while shapeshifted.

NullAshton
2006-08-04, 10:52 AM
Well, druids in wildshape will probally only use three spells, so that doesn't work. Druids when using natural spells also tend to use lower level buffing spells, so the added spell level doesn't really do much anything. All this has done mainly is to just make munchkins work a little harder to make druidzilla, that's all.

SilverOkainol
2006-08-04, 11:17 AM
The only thing I would do is remove the feat entirely!

NullAshton
2006-08-04, 11:41 AM
Why? It's not overpowered in itself, it's just that it stacks with wildshape. Make it so that benificial magic spells stop functioning when wildshaped!

kailin
2006-08-04, 12:43 PM
I like option #3 best. Natural confers most of the benefits of silent and still spell (unobtrusiveness) and lets you cast in an enhanced form. SLA+2 sounds good and straightforward.

That said, NullAShton, I have to disagree with you that a druid in wild shape will only use three low-level buffing spells. Just because I'm in animal form doesn't mean I won't gladly drop my high-level spells on opponents.

Also, consider the possibilities for sneakiness. It's great to, say, become a rat in a cavern and cast transmute rock to mud unsuspected by others. Or be a sparrow perched above a busy town square, and rain fiery doom with a few chirps. And so on.

dauphinous
2006-08-05, 02:39 PM
^ I agree that #3 sounds best of these options. It could just be seen as a single feat that gives the benefit of Silent Spell and Still Spell and happens to have a specific circumstance applied to it (being wild shaped).