PDA

View Full Version : Hydra question

Doresain
2009-05-19, 01:52 PM
what does the hydra's ability to grow two more heads when one has been cut off count as? extraordinary? supernatural?

it doesnt say anywhere in the MM, other than it can do that...also, is it correct to assume the pyro and cryo version's breath weapon is considered a supernatural ability, because it doesnt say anything about that either

thanks a bunch,
your friendly neighborhood necromancer

Innis Cabal
2009-05-19, 01:53 PM
Then its none of them and it just happens?

Doresain
2009-05-19, 01:59 PM
the main reason i want to know is, whether or not they would regain that ability as a zombie/skeleton when Awaken Undead is used on them

AmberVael
2009-05-19, 02:02 PM
Honestly, I would just count it as a sort of extra ability in relation to its Fast Healing ability.
Which would meant it was Ex (which also makes sense, since it never says antimagic or the like can stop head regrowth).

Also, Breath Weapons are Supernatural unless otherwise stated.
Breath Weapon link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#breathWeapon)

Breath weapons are supernatural abilities except where noted.

Doresain
2009-05-19, 02:06 PM
Honestly, I would just count it as a sort of extra ability in relation to its Fast Healing ability.
Which would meant it was Ex (which also makes sense, since it never says antimagic or the like can stop head regrowth).

Also, Breath Weapons are Supernatural unless otherwise stated.
Breath Weapon link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#breathWeapon)

yeah i figured breath weapons were (Su)

edit: so assuming it is just an extension of its fast healing ability, a skeleton hydra would be able to regrow severed heads if it was awakened...which brings me to another question:

lets say the skeleton hydra has a bunch of its heads severed, and now has double its original number...they fall off the next day...would those heads still be animated?

The_Werebear
2009-05-19, 02:25 PM
Probably not by RAW(For the same reason the severed heads aren't still animated), but it is too awesome to not let happen.

Doresain
2009-05-19, 02:42 PM
all we need now is an awakened 12-headed skeletal pyrohydra, and we have a near unstoppable killing machine